RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How long for poop to break down?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > How long for poop to break down?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

Senior Member

Joined: 02/23/2011

View Profile



Posted: 05/14/12 05:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVUSA wrote:

That stuff breaking down yet? It's starting to smell like a kentucky pig farm in here.
Well, the O.P. posted three days ago, so at least we know how long poop takes to reach the "Kentucky Pig Farm" stage...

Thing is, what exactly does the O.P. mean by "break down"?????


" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/14/12 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K3WE wrote:

Wrace wrote:

Brent and Gina wrote:

OP, tanks are designed to allow large material to enter and escape easily enough. The trick is to keep plenty of water and fill, if not full, just prior to dumping. It really doesn't matter at all the state of debris whether it's 1 minute old or 30 days old. If there's another reason behind the question, let us know. I know folks talk about chemicals and enzymes, but there's no need concerning break-up because these are holding tanks vs. septic tanks.

And that's it in a nutshell right there. Holding tank.


I didn't know that bacteria, enzymes and dissolution had the intelligence to know the differene between a septic tank and a holding tank.

Despite what we name our tanks, there's plenty of septic tank processes going on in your holding tank. These processes start within 1 minute, and will probably complete their course in 30 days too.

Stuff is breaking down in your holding tank whether you want it to or not.


You will have long since emptied that tank before those enzymes and bacteria have a chance to liquify much of anything, so adding enzymes is a waste of money. If you are not putting any detergents in the black tank, the bacteria is going to create on it's own. But again, since it is dumped so frequently, it isn't going to do much for breaking down solids. This is why you should use a lot of water for flushing to get the solids out.

Dog Trainer wrote:

A holding tank and a septic tank are the same thing. a septic tank is a big cement holding tank where the waste breaks down and then is overflowed into the septic field. Our holding tanks act the same way as long as we do not put or pour things into it that destroys the bacteria.The difference is we have to empty the holding tank usually before the complete breakdown occours. I never empty a black tank untill it is nearly full. A proper working vent will keep the smell out.


No they are not the same thing. "the black tank does not allow any of its contents to leach away into the ground, whereas a septic tank will allow waste water to run through a leaching field and for the bacterial breakdown of some of its solid contents". Drain fields are a big part of the operating system and assist with the break down of solids in a septic tank and this is not part of the holding tank process at all. It is an exercise in futility to buy enzymes to add to a holding tank because as said, it will be flushed away before it has a chance to do the same thing that a septic system would do.

But yes, the vents working properly will keep out the smell, again another reason why adding bacteria or enzymes is useless. There will be some bacteria that grows in the tank naturally if detergents are not used, but even if detergent is used it doesn't matter as that bacteria isn't doing anything to keep the black tank working properly, whereas that bacteria is imperative to keep a septic system in good working order.

Brent and Gina

Arkansas

Senior Member

Joined: 12/28/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/14/12 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JayWalker2009 wrote:

K3WE wrote:

Wrace wrote:

Brent and Gina wrote:

OP, tanks are designed to allow large material to enter and escape easily enough. The trick is to keep plenty of water and fill, if not full, just prior to dumping. It really doesn't matter at all the state of debris whether it's 1 minute old or 30 days old. If there's another reason behind the question, let us know. I know folks talk about chemicals and enzymes, but there's no need concerning break-up because these are holding tanks vs. septic tanks.

And that's it in a nutshell right there. Holding tank.


I didn't know that bacteria, enzymes and dissolution had the intelligence to know the differene between a septic tank and a holding tank.

Despite what we name our tanks, there's plenty of septic tank processes going on in your holding tank. These processes start within 1 minute, and will probably complete their course in 30 days too.

Stuff is breaking down in your holding tank whether you want it to or not.


You will have long since emptied that tank before those enzymes and bacteria have a chance to liquify much of anything, so adding enzymes is a waste of money. If you are not putting any detergents in the black tank, the bacteria is going to create on it's own. But again, since it is dumped so frequently, it isn't going to do much for breaking down solids. This is why you should use a lot of water for flushing to get the solids out.

Dog Trainer wrote:

A holding tank and a septic tank are the same thing. a septic tank is a big cement holding tank where the waste breaks down and then is overflowed into the septic field. Our holding tanks act the same way as long as we do not put or pour things into it that destroys the bacteria.The difference is we have to empty the holding tank usually before the complete breakdown occours. I never empty a black tank untill it is nearly full. A proper working vent will keep the smell out.


No they are not the same thing. "the black tank does not allow any of its contents to leach away into the ground, whereas a septic tank will allow waste water to run through a leaching field and for the bacterial breakdown of some of its solid contents". Drain fields are a big part of the operating system and assist with the break down of solids in a septic tank and this is not part of the holding tank process at all. It is an exercise in futility to buy enzymes to add to a holding tank because as said, it will be flushed away before it has a chance to do the same thing that a septic system would do.

But yes, the vents working properly will keep out the smell, again another reason why adding bacteria or enzymes is useless. There will be some bacteria that grows in the tank naturally if detergents are not used, but even if detergent is used it doesn't matter as that bacteria isn't doing anything to keep the black tank working properly, whereas that bacteria is imperative to keep a septic system in good working order.


Wise man. No need to treat holding tanks as septic tanks.

cm11599ps

Long Island

Senior Member

Joined: 07/18/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/14/12 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

RVUSA wrote:

That stuff breaking down yet? It's starting to smell like a kentucky pig farm in here.
Well, the O.P. posted three days ago, so at least we know how long poop takes to reach the "Kentucky Pig Farm" stage...

Thing is, what exactly does the O.P. mean by "break down"?????



My original question was really about how long it took for a solid poop to turn to liquid. Lol





Bit Bucket

Brookings, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 04/29/2011

View Profile



Posted: 05/14/12 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

It takes 11oz of pure formaldehyde in order for a full 30 gal tank to have enough formaldehdye to be disinfecting.


So thats what it takes to disinfect 30 gals of sewage.
OK.
Then it must kill bacteria.
Bacteria is what is key in a septic system (not holding tank) to breaking down the sewage.
Anything that lessens the bacteria will have some effect on the system.

Googling the subject shows hit after hit showing that the engineers and other professionals who work in the sewage industry (ewww) all believe this to be true. Wonder what they know that we don't?

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/14/12 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brent and Gina wrote:

JayWalker2009 wrote:

K3WE wrote:

Wrace wrote:

Brent and Gina wrote:

OP, tanks are designed to allow large material to enter and escape easily enough. The trick is to keep plenty of water and fill, if not full, just prior to dumping. It really doesn't matter at all the state of debris whether it's 1 minute old or 30 days old. If there's another reason behind the question, let us know. I know folks talk about chemicals and enzymes, but there's no need concerning break-up because these are holding tanks vs. septic tanks.

And that's it in a nutshell right there. Holding tank.


I didn't know that bacteria, enzymes and dissolution had the intelligence to know the differene between a septic tank and a holding tank.

Despite what we name our tanks, there's plenty of septic tank processes going on in your holding tank. These processes start within 1 minute, and will probably complete their course in 30 days too.

Stuff is breaking down in your holding tank whether you want it to or not.


You will have long since emptied that tank before those enzymes and bacteria have a chance to liquify much of anything, so adding enzymes is a waste of money. If you are not putting any detergents in the black tank, the bacteria is going to create on it's own. But again, since it is dumped so frequently, it isn't going to do much for breaking down solids. This is why you should use a lot of water for flushing to get the solids out.

Dog Trainer wrote:

A holding tank and a septic tank are the same thing. a septic tank is a big cement holding tank where the waste breaks down and then is overflowed into the septic field. Our holding tanks act the same way as long as we do not put or pour things into it that destroys the bacteria.The difference is we have to empty the holding tank usually before the complete breakdown occours. I never empty a black tank untill it is nearly full. A proper working vent will keep the smell out.


No they are not the same thing. "the black tank does not allow any of its contents to leach away into the ground, whereas a septic tank will allow waste water to run through a leaching field and for the bacterial breakdown of some of its solid contents". Drain fields are a big part of the operating system and assist with the break down of solids in a septic tank and this is not part of the holding tank process at all. It is an exercise in futility to buy enzymes to add to a holding tank because as said, it will be flushed away before it has a chance to do the same thing that a septic system would do.

But yes, the vents working properly will keep out the smell, again another reason why adding bacteria or enzymes is useless. There will be some bacteria that grows in the tank naturally if detergents are not used, but even if detergent is used it doesn't matter as that bacteria isn't doing anything to keep the black tank working properly, whereas that bacteria is imperative to keep a septic system in good working order.


Wise man. No need to treat holding tanks as septic tanks.


Thanks, but change that to wise girl. lol

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/14/12 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wny_pat wrote:

According to the Arizona Cooperative Extention, "These RV products may contain enzymes or very toxic chemicals, such as formaldehyde. Most products either mask the odor or kill the bacteria causing the odors. When such treated RV wastewater is dumped into a septic system (or municipal wastewater treatment facility), it can kill the bacteria in the system and ultimately cause the treatment system to fail.When such treated RV wastewater is dumped into a septic system (or municipal wastewater treatment facility), it can kill the bacteria in the system and ultimately cause the treatment system to fail. Without bacteria, the treatment system cannot adequately treat the waste."
source: http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/water/az1233.pdf


I have found the many County Cooperatives Extensions in this country to be a provider of accurated and true information.


Now this part absolutely can happen. A holding tank is not a septic system, and doesn't need to be treated as such. However, these large concentration of chemicals can very well disturb the balance of the septic system at the campground where all of these holding tanks are being dumped. Some campgrounds very much will restrict the use of certain chemicals depending on the type of system they have.

Usually if a CG has a septic system in place where this would create a problem they will restrict the type of chemicals used. If they do not restrict, they are not having issues and you can use whatever you want. I personally do not bother with chemicals anymore because I know now that all I need is a properly vented system, and a lot of water. I think those chemicals just give many a false sense of security that if they don't use it, the place will stink up.

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/14/12 08:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

It's a plain fact that "slug loading" of a wide variety of substances including formaldehyde can/will crash (at least temporarily) a biological treatment system, most of which rely on very specific microorganisms to function properly.
Recovery of aerobic systems can take days/weeks, and anaerobic systems longer than that.

Even a substance as seemingly innocuous as the effluent from BEERmaking can wreak havoc in (aerobic) treatment systems- not due to its "chemical" content, but because of the extremely high BOD of the waste. That's why most breweries are required to have elaborate pretreatment systems before they're allowed to discharge to municipal treatment plants.


You come up with some gems. Slug Loading. I haven't heard it put like that before lol And true on your last post, there were indeed 18 pages of arguing on a bidet thread. lol But I think the word "poop" on this forum yields more interest than any other.

* This post was edited 05/14/12 08:44pm by JayWalker2009 *

Wrace

Seattle WA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/03/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/14/12 09:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JayWalker2009 wrote:

I personally do not bother with chemicals anymore because I know now that all I need is a properly vented system, and a lot of water.

You have cracked the code!

Quote:


I think those chemicals just give many a false sense of security that if they don't use it, the place will stink up.

Plus it gives us something to argue about...
The RVnet Poop Chronicles 2012

Brent and Gina

Arkansas

Senior Member

Joined: 12/28/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/14/12 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JayWalker2009 wrote:

Brent and Gina wrote:

JayWalker2009 wrote:

K3WE wrote:

Wrace wrote:

Brent and Gina wrote:

OP, tanks are designed to allow large material to enter and escape easily enough. The trick is to keep plenty of water and fill, if not full, just prior to dumping. It really doesn't matter at all the state of debris whether it's 1 minute old or 30 days old. If there's another reason behind the question, let us know. I know folks talk about chemicals and enzymes, but there's no need concerning break-up because these are holding tanks vs. septic tanks.

And that's it in a nutshell right there. Holding tank.


I didn't know that bacteria, enzymes and dissolution had the intelligence to know the differene between a septic tank and a holding tank.

Despite what we name our tanks, there's plenty of septic tank processes going on in your holding tank. These processes start within 1 minute, and will probably complete their course in 30 days too.

Stuff is breaking down in your holding tank whether you want it to or not.


You will have long since emptied that tank before those enzymes and bacteria have a chance to liquify much of anything, so adding enzymes is a waste of money. If you are not putting any detergents in the black tank, the bacteria is going to create on it's own. But again, since it is dumped so frequently, it isn't going to do much for breaking down solids. This is why you should use a lot of water for flushing to get the solids out.

Dog Trainer wrote:

A holding tank and a septic tank are the same thing. a septic tank is a big cement holding tank where the waste breaks down and then is overflowed into the septic field. Our holding tanks act the same way as long as we do not put or pour things into it that destroys the bacteria.The difference is we have to empty the holding tank usually before the complete breakdown occours. I never empty a black tank untill it is nearly full. A proper working vent will keep the smell out.


No they are not the same thing. "the black tank does not allow any of its contents to leach away into the ground, whereas a septic tank will allow waste water to run through a leaching field and for the bacterial breakdown of some of its solid contents". Drain fields are a big part of the operating system and assist with the break down of solids in a septic tank and this is not part of the holding tank process at all. It is an exercise in futility to buy enzymes to add to a holding tank because as said, it will be flushed away before it has a chance to do the same thing that a septic system would do.

But yes, the vents working properly will keep out the smell, again another reason why adding bacteria or enzymes is useless. There will be some bacteria that grows in the tank naturally if detergents are not used, but even if detergent is used it doesn't matter as that bacteria isn't doing anything to keep the black tank working properly, whereas that bacteria is imperative to keep a septic system in good working order.


Wise man. No need to treat holding tanks as septic tanks.


Thanks, but change that to wise girl. lol


Apologies mylady.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > How long for poop to break down?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS