|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Onan Oil Mobil 1 vs. Onanmax

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
caguayo2

San Diego

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/07 05:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was wondering if anyone has ever used Mobil 1 oil in their Onan Generator.My Generator is in a 2000 Winnebago, Model number 5BGEFA, Emerald Plus, 5kw.

My operating manual says to use API Class SG or SH oil. In researching on the API website, SG oil is obsolete and SH oil is also obsolete. The Onan oil (Onamax 15W40) says it exceeds CF/SL class. In looking into Mobile 1, its classification is SM/CF.

So, based on this information, SM Classification is far superior to SL and SJ. So my only concern is that my Onan is a 2-Cyclinder Opposed, 4-Cycle engine and I do not know if Mobil 1 can be suitable oil since it was designed for water cooled automotive engines.

Any feedback on your experiences is appreciated

Camping USA

kottfam6wi

South Central Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/07 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use mobil 1 in ALL my small engines. Have been for years and it has GREATLY increased the lifespan.
Joe

Our Family Pictures
Joe & Erika
Chris-16, Emily-12, Jessica-10, Jason-9, Derek-4
"Rallies Attended 19 1/2" (Wahoo!! we're catching up!)
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 5.9L CTD
2005 K-Z Durango 315BH 5th Wheel (2nd Camper)

Sully2

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/07 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

caguayo2 wrote:

I was wondering if anyone has ever used Mobil 1 oil in their Onan Generator.My Generator is in a 2000 Winnebago, Model number 5BGEFA, Emerald Plus, 5kw.

My operating manual says to use API Class SG or SH oil. In researching on the API website, SG oil is obsolete and SH oil is also obsolete. The Onan oil (Onamax 15W40) says it exceeds CF/SL class. In looking into Mobile 1, its classification is SM/CF.

So, based on this information, SM Classification is far superior to SL and SJ. So my only concern is that my Onan is a 2-Cyclinder Opposed, 4-Cycle engine and I do not know if Mobil 1 can be suitable oil since it was designed for water cooled automotive engines.

Any feedback on your experiences is appreciated

Where does it state its to be used in WATER COOLED engines??

Use the Mobil 1 in the weights per Onan.

* This post was edited 12/23/07 04:45pm by an administrator/moderator *

presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/07 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I currently have 5w-50 Castrol synthetic in my 5000 watt Kolher. Last weekend at 32 degrees (F) it fired up like it was 80 degrees. It calls for 30 weight in summer and 10w-30 winter but the manual was printed 15 years ago so it is hard to know what is best to use because of 15 years of changes and improvements.

How hot does the oil get in these 2 cylinder air cooled engine? I have not found that info on the web and that is needed to know what kind of today's oils will give the best results. It is coming upon 500 hours.

caguayo2

San Diego

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/07 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the feedback Joe,

Carlos

caguayo2

San Diego

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/07 06:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gale - Sounds like we are in similar situations. May manual is obsolete therefore my oil requirements are as well. Based on your and Joe's response, sounds like you had some great results from using Synthetic oil.

Thanks

gunny357

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/07 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carlos:
Onamax is regular oil, Mobile 1 is synthetic. If I were in your shoes, I'd use the Mobile 1 in your Onan genset. Synthetic is far superior to regular oil in an air cooled engine as it does not suffer thermal breakdown. Additionally, it makes the engine easier to start and provides better protection to dry starts.
While the synthetic is better, it does not help out with the oil change intervals, you still need to change it at the factory recommended intervals.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/07 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carlos I had not changed my but it seemed clean and the PO stated he had not ran it much since changing it but it seemed a little hard to start and ran a little rough so I Sea Foam'ed the heck out of it through the gas tank, intake and crankcase and because Sea Foam frees up so much carbon and junk it is suggested you then change your engine oil.

When I found out 50% of an engine cooling comes from the motor oil I got concerned about the generator being air cooled. It had 30 SAE oil in it but since I will be using the genset maybe at 0 (F) I was going to have to run 10w-30 but 5w is even better at cold temps and I would have 50 weight for hot weather.

It seems my genset performs better and more quitely with the synthetic oil. It was not cheap but it holds less than 3 quarts. I do not want the oil too thick and that is the reason I am trying to fine the temp the oil runs in hot weather so I can estimate film thickness needed.

tonkatoys

maine

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/07 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

was told by onan not to use synth. and that it would void warranty, also spoke to a couple small engine repair centers and both advised not to use synth.. this is just what i was told.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, loudly proclaiming---WOW WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Rustydog

Bethel Park, Pa

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/07 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tonkatoys wrote:

was told by onan not to use synth. and that it would void warranty, also spoke to a couple small engine repair centers and both advised not to use synth.. this is just what i was told.

A 2000 generator should be way beyond warranty.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Onan Oil Mobil 1 vs. Onanmax
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS