|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Low Point Drain Valves

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
RedRaider44

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/08 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I sit here thinking about de-winterizing shortly, I would like to know if anyone has replaced their low-point drain valves with something more user friendly. I have to empty my storage under my bunk bed, crawl into the storage area with a flashlight and a pair or needle nose pliers, and pull the clips and plugs to drain the water lines. Reassembling the clips and plugs into the valves is not that big a problem, but a simple on/off valve would be easier. If anyone has made this modification, chime in. I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks, Steven

Steven
2004 Jayco 27BH
2002 F250-CC

kearlms

Rexburg, ID

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/08 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My low point drains hang outside the TT right by the I-beam. I can empty them from outside and dont have to do it from inside. Maybe if you extended them so the valve or plugs hung below the TT it might help. I just lean down and take out the plugs and done. I know some people that have put valves on them so they did not have to take the plugs out. May make life easier.

FloridaNative

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/08 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My low point drains hang outside the trailer and have caps on them. I replaced the caps with ball valves. Works great.

-Mike

2007 Toyota Sienna
2006 Cikira 16CC

davidj54

South Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/08 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine have screw on caps on them and though I haven't replaced them yet I've certainly considered it. Let us know what you do and I'll do the same when I replace mine.

Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab (Yeah, it's got a Cummins)
2006 Forest River Grand Surveyor GS-280
Prodigy Brake Controller
1000/10000lb Equal-i-zer with 4-way sway control

LakeN

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/08 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FloridaNative wrote:

I replaced the caps with ball valves. Works great.

Thanks, great idea!

Ours hang outside also.

'08 Toyota Tundra 5.7L with tow package/Prodigy
'12 Evergreen EverLite 31 RLS Compositek construction

LEC

RDU, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/08 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stephen, I have the same low point drains on my 2005 Eagle TT. The only time you have to remove the clips is when you want to pull the plunger out that has the O ring on it. You do this when you have trash in the water line inside the valve that got there the last time you closed it. Now, the valve seeps water out on the ground.

I had one that leaked, pulled it and it had a 1" long blade of grass inside the valve that I had to fish out with a wire. It was preventing the O ring from properly seating.

Normally to use, just put 1 finger under each side and lift straight up. You will some pressure against it as you pull it up and will hear a clicking sound when it pops loose. When done push it back down and you will hear the same clicking sound again. The sound comes from the plastic push rod contacting the metal retaining clip at the top of valve as it travels up and down.

The newer Jayco TT and 5W I have seen now have a 1/4 turn petcock on the outside just below where the line comes out of the floor.

Hope this helps.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/08 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also installed valves on my low point drains. I now use drains as hose bibs to provide water when outside. Sure beats going inside just for water. Hot & cold water connections made easy.

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

RedRaider44

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/08 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replies.
LEC, I was under the impression I needed to pull the clips to release the plugs. I will do what you suggested next time, and just pull the plugs up without pullling the clips out. I learn something every day from this forum.

Airstreamer67

Pineville, LA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/08 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2006 JayFeather has low-point drain valves under the side of the trailer. Very convenient.

McDaddy

Saugus, Ma

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/08 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RedRaider,

My neighbor is a plumber and an RVer. The first thing he told me to do was change my low point drains to ball valves. Bought them at Home Depot for less than $10 each. I also installed one on my fresh water tank for when I want to drain it as well. They are quick and easy.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Low Point Drain Valves
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS