|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 1/2 Ton Towable 5th Wheels

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
jtbmoore

Bakersfield, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/08 08:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know most people here say don't do it but a 3/4 ton is not an option right now. A lot of manufactuers say they have 1/2 ton towable 5ers. I am planning on getting a 2008 tundra double cab soon and I wanted to get some feedback from people that tow a 5er with their 1/2 ton. If someone has a recommended model or manufacturer for a 25-28ft 5er that would work good with a 1/2 ton that would be great. If possible lets keep the "Get a 3/4 ton" to a minimum.

happynbcamper

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/08 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I owned a 3/4 diesel with a 32ft fifth wheel. I got rid of the whole thing and downsized. The costs of running a big diesel truck just did not make sense to me. I now have a 1/2 ton with smaller fifth wheel. I'm happy with this. It does not tow as hard as my previous truck but it gets me where I need to. I now grin everytime I drive by th diesel fuel pump and the ridiculous prices and everytime I take my 1/2 ton in for maintenance.

I did a lot of research before I got the 1/2 ton. I loved the toyota and it was my first choice but had to back away from it as the payload capacity is really not adequate for a fifth wheel, around 1200 if I remember. I went with an F150 with over 1600lbs payload capacity. The Toyota would be OK for a Travel trailer assuming a reasonable tongue weight.

2008 F150, 5.4, 3.73, towing mirrors, tow package
2008 Cougar 276RLS

Sir Buffalo

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/08 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have what you are going to purchase....be careful with the pin weight. Our half ton does not have the same payload capabilities as F150 and HD1500 GM models as they have options to provide payload that far exceeds the Tundra and Titan

However, we came very close in purchasing a Zinger 5ver in the 25' range. It could have worked. Except we got a great deal on the TT.

Go to crossroadsrv.com also arctic fox just came out with a 5ver for you but it may be too small.

Now dought the Tundra can pull ..... but its payload is low....you will need to stay I believe 1,500 lbs on pin weight.

Good luck with your decision, if you go with a 5ver lets us know and then send picks.........

Sir Buffalo!
2006 Zinger by Crossroads 27BHS
2010 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 5.7

fivecodys

Central California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/08 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forest River (Flagstaff & Rockwood) have a light weight 5th wheel with a very light advertised pin weight. This is where the issue resides....pin weight. The truck has plenty of muscle but not a very high cargo capacity. One you add up to 20% of your GVWR of the trailer, the hitch itself, and your passengers, you will be over 1460 pound limit of the truck.

Now with that said, There are a lot of folks pulling fivers with this truck. I have seen two issues of Trailer Life where that match up a light fiver with the Tundra.

If you really want to know more you can PM (Private Message) me or visit http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/ and check out the towing forum. There are some real nice folks there that can give you first hand information about what this truck is capable of.

Bill

2007 Tundra DC 5.7L V8
SuperGlide 14K
Prodigy Brake Controller
2009 Flagstaff 8528RKSS Ultralight Series
Air Lift 5000

We have enough youth.......... how about a fountain of "smart"?

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/08 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is NOTHING about the TERM half ton or 5th wheel that makes them incompatible. You should be able to tow anything that keeps you below the numbers for your truck. Probably the number that will be the EASIEST to exceed is the PIN weight. I"d suggest you weigh your truck with full load of passengers and cargo that you would take when you tow. Of COURSE this will include the hitch mounted in the bed. Subtract that number from your GVWR and you'll know how much PIN weight you can handle. One OTHER thing that you MUST keep in mind is that the brochure pin weights are ALWAYS for an empty trailer. It HAS to be that way because they'd have no way of knowing how or what you'll load it with. BEST method of determining PIN wieght in advance is to use the GVWR or the proposed trailer and multiply by .25 and ASSUME that will be the most the pin will ever be. It's unfortunate that Toyota doesn't allow the "maximum payload" option and the "trailer towing" option at the same time. It would add a lot of trailers to your list of possibilities if they did. Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/08 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Springdale Model 242FWRELGL
Springdale Model 249FWBHLGL
Watch the pin weight very close. Under 1000 pounds is best.
Even these trailers with 920 & 860 dry pin will have ~1200+ pin once loaded.

I bought the second one to work with my existing truck and I am very pleased with it. However if I was spending money on a truck I would be looking at one ton short bed srw even with the smallish trailer.

* This post was edited 03/24/08 04:29pm by smkettner *

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

jtbmoore

Bakersfield, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/08 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smkettner wrote:

Springdale Model 242FWRELGL
Springdale Model 249FWBHLGL
Watch the pin weight very close. Under 1000 pounds is best.
Even these trailers with 920 & 860 dry pin will have ~1200+ pin once loaded.

Those two look reasonable. I like the layout. Any others?

symbasden

WI

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/08 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did the research and determined that I would not have the capacity in my truck to haul the pin weight so I went with a TT.

Also, the 1/2 ton 5ers are so small that I don't understand the advantage over a TT. Sure they are supposed to tow better, but not when the TV is maxed out on pin weight.

Finally I haul a lot of outdoor camping gear in my truck and didn't have the spare weight capacity with the 5er...

Jeff

2009 Rockwood Signature Ultra Light 8317SS
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
DW Kelly and DD

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/08 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jtbmoore wrote:

Those two look reasonable. I like the layout. Any others?

There is a 1/2 ton fifth wheel post about every week or two.
A search in the fifth wheel forum will provide many good and marginal suggestions.

Chase_Fair

Anchorage, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/08 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 29.5 Prowler lynx

Chase Fair
2002 Ford F-150 7700 Payload Package B w/ Husky 16K hitch
2013 Work and Play 27UL 28ft
Anchorage, Alaska

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next