RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Troubleshoot Dometic WeatherPro Power Awning

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Troubleshoot Dometic WeatherPro Power Awning

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
The Lexx

Camp Lejeune, NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/08 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a new Dometic WeatherPro that is malfunctioning and the small user's guide is proving to be no help. I'll call them on Monday, but thought I'd toss the issue out on the forum to see if anyone has suggestions.

When I extend the awning it will not stay out. Immediately upon reaching full extension, and sometimes prior to that, it automatically retracts. This is occuring on the calmest possible day - no wind whatsoever. I even double checked to make sure the keys weren't left in the ignition.

Wind settings are set to factory standard (18mph), and I have even tried extending it with the wind sensor turned off. Results are the same.

Thanks for any tips.

The Lexx

want-a-be

On the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/08 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same problem. The out side temp. may be your problem. Try putting the awning out in the evening. There is a repair kit that you can get from Dometic (3309743.007) it is free just by calling them (800-544-4881)the kit contains a round decal that has a shine surface on one side that you put on top of the wind sensor.
Hope this helps

Heir Max

membership 1/16/2001, Bay Minette, AL

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/08 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had one installed about a year ago. It was doing this from the very first use. It turned out the sensor being bad. It would do exactly the same thing yours is doing. You can use it manually by turning the sensor off with your remote until you can repair it. Dometic furnished me with a new sensor and it has been working fine.

99 Tradewinds
2000 Explorer Toad

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/08 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does this one have the wind sensor in kind of a "Lighthouse" on the roof or does it have the sensor on the awning arm?

(Does not make any difference, I just want to know)

I have the one with the "lighthouse" sensor

Think is a piece of junk , don't work, replaced it with a new one, no improvement, major issues with the design (hence the new design) only solution is a two step

Step one TURN OFF the wind sensor (small toggle switch on the left side of the control box)

Step Two: DO NOT leave awning out when away or windy, the wind sensor is no longer active... NEITHER is the ignition override

* This post was edited 04/13/08 10:34pm by an administrator/moderator *

tallyo

Fort Myers,Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/08 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Water has an adverse affect on the sensors. Take a blow dryer to it.

Tallyo
2012 Phaeton 40 QBH
Freightliner, 6 spd Allison
2010 Chevy Equinox 2LT w/ Brake Buddy Vantage
Drinks-6, Eats-4, Sleeps-2
Semper Fi

americandream42

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/08 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It should be under warranty like mine was called them up and got a new sensor shipped to my house in about a week its been fine ever since.

JohnnyT

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/08 03:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Lexx wrote:

I have a new Dometic WeatherPro that is malfunctioning and the small user's guide is proving to be no help. I'll call them on Monday, but thought I'd toss the issue out on the forum to see if anyone has suggestions.

When I extend the awning it will not stay out. Immediately upon reaching full extension, and sometimes prior to that, it automatically retracts. This is occuring on the calmest possible day - no wind whatsoever. I even double checked to make sure the keys weren't left in the ignition.

Wind settings are set to factory standard (18mph), and I have even tried extending it with the wind sensor turned off. Results are the
same.

Thanks for any tips.

I had a similar problem... Turned out to be a cable problem... I know you indicated you turned off the sensor which should eliminate the sensor but you might try to disconnect the cable coming from the sensor. The cable from the sensor looks like a telephone line and has a telephone connector... just unplug it and see if it still behaves the same.

On my vintage Weather Pro (2003) if you replaced the sensor you also had to replace the circuit board.

BTW Welcome to the forum

JohnnyT

2cyber71

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/08 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My weather pro auto awning wind sensor didn't work when I got the MH, but, Winnie fixed it under warrantee
When it breaks...I'm going back to a A & E 9000. Much stronger and better ground coverage.

The Lexx

Camp Lejeune, NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/08 06:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the tips. I'll call Dometic tomorrow and see what they say. More to follow ...

The Lexx

Camp Lejeune, NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/08 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay, my wife and I worked a solution for this problem. Maybe it will work for others. We turned off the sensors using the remote control hold down method (not unplugging). With the sensor turned off we extended the awning all the way. Then we turned the sensor back on, starting on 24 then 18, and it has stayed out since then. We're going to call Dometic and get the shiney decal and the replacement sensors anyway, just in case we need them later (can't hurt). Thanks again for the tips.

ps - ours is the sensor on the arm type, not the lighthouse type.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Troubleshoot Dometic WeatherPro Power Awning
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS