|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> atwood oven thermocouple test

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
jgerni

Central Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/08 01:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been having problems for a while now with my atwood oven. The pilot won't stay lite no matter how long I keep the knob held down. I've tried to assist the pilot with a stick lighter with no luck. It use to work fine. I wondering if it's a problem with the thermocoupler. Does anyone know a way to test if the thermocoupler is working properly? I have a ohm/volt/amp meter if I knew what to look for.

thanks for any input.

Currently Trailer-less
2006 GMC K2500HD Crew Cab, D/A LBZ
2004 Suburban K1500 Z71, 5.3L, 4.10
2001 VW Jetta Diesel

LittleBill

Scranton, PA USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/08 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

remove the unit, take propane torch, blow with mouth on one side there will be resistance and light the torch on sensor, once it heats up enough it will click an you will be able to blow through it if it works

Mandalay Parr

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/08 01:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best to troubleshoot by replacing it.

Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
KG7EFA

ozman

Ma.

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/08 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Replace it,they are cheap. I keep a couple in my toolbox.If your gas is flowing to pilot,thermocouple is best case scenerio.

Chris Bryant

DeLand, Florida, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/08 02:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I talk about testing thermocouples in my RV.net blog entry on flame safety devices, but the most common problem I have seen on these ranges is that the thermostat and sheet metal move enough that when you are pushing in the knob, you cannot push it in far enough to engage the safety valve.
You can test this by pulling the knob off and pushing the shaft in while lighting the pilot.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

javaseuf

California's Gold Coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/08 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LittleBill wrote:

remove the unit, take propane torch, blow with mouth on one side there will be resistance and light the torch on sensor, once it heats up enough it will click an you will be able to blow through it if it works

You have got to be kidding!!!
No way will you be able to blow through a propane pilot light orifice.
And, a torch will very possibly damage a good thermocouple.

I would venture to say that if Chris Bryant saw one of his techs testing an appliance by this method, he would be fired.

codelld

Massillon, OH

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/08 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do not have a component problem I found that when lighting the oven, if I set the thermosat about 170° the pilot would light a lot easier. While doing this the burner gas will not come on until the thermocouple is hot enough so your are not going to singe any arm hair.

Dennis Codella
'07 HR Endeavor 40PDQ

eddie3260

Florence, al

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/08 09:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermocouple will output millivolts, so connect your volt meter (set to millivolt range) to the lead wires and apply a heat source such as a hair dryer to the tip of the tc. If the meter indicates an increase in millivolts, the tc is good. If you have millivolts but no increase, that means you have a short in the lead wire. If you have no millivolts, then the tc is bad and acting like an open circuit.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/08 06:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remove the knob and install a paper/cardboard shim inside the knob between the shaft and the knob hole. This will allow the knob to stick out about 1/8 inch. This will allow the knob to PUSH the shaft in that extra 1/8 inch to allow the Thermocoupler signal to keep the pilot open. The new Oven knobs and front panel are too close and do not allow the pilot shaft to go past the "indent" to keep the pilot lite. Very common problem on the new ovens. Doug

jgerni

Central Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/29/08 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow this worked. Thanks for your help. I can't believe I spent all this time working on this and cardboard fixed the problem.

dougrainer wrote:

Remove the knob and install a paper/cardboard shim inside the knob between the shaft and the knob hole. This will allow the knob to stick out about 1/8 inch. This will allow the knob to PUSH the shaft in that extra 1/8 inch to allow the Thermocoupler signal to keep the pilot open. The new Oven knobs and front panel are too close and do not allow the pilot shaft to go past the "indent" to keep the pilot lite. Very common problem on the new ovens. Doug

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> atwood oven thermocouple test
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS