RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Rotten floor and husband threw the vent.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Rotten floor and husband threw the vent.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
campingfamilyof3

Vancouver Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/08 12:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a 93 Park West Coyote this past week the lady told us there was a soft spot in the floor and it wouldnt be hard to fix and yes the first soft spot shouldnt be but the under the bed is completely rotted I wouldnt have missed this since the floor is dropped about 2 inches from the rest but I sent my husband to look at it (no offense to the men ) Has anyone else had this kinda of issue am i going to fall completely through the floor?

P.S I am thinking maybe we should just get rid of the trailer my husband was putting a tarp on it tonight and fell threw not one but two of the vents ugh!!!

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/08 01:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree getting rid of it makes good sense considering the age and amount of damage.

just_dave

Bay City, MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/08 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From someone that owned a trailer with a rotten floor. GET RID OF IT. I'd first go back to the lady who said it should be easy to fix. Maybe she'll be decent and return your money.

* This post was edited 09/02/08 10:25am by just_dave *

2001 2500HD 6.0L 4.10 4x4
1999 Jayco Eagle 285BHS 5er Thank you Lord!
Draw-Tite 16K with Kwik-Slide
Prodigy
Bilsteins (on the truck)
Monroes (on the 5er)
Perception Swifty 9.5 Kayaks
Pelican Break Kayak
Swagman XTC-4 Bike Carrier

Jamesrpm

Oregon Coast

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/08 08:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are no easy fixes to rotten floors, get rid of it or get your money back.

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/08 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A rotten floor usually means a complete tear down. To have a rotted floor means there is a roof, siding, or plumbing leak and she had to know about it because the floor would have bben wet and there would have been a mildew smell. She misrepresented the trailer to you, get your money back.

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/08 11:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if it was so easy, then why didn't she fix it?????????????? why would you buy something like that in the first place?

BurbMan

Louisville, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/08 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

park it in New Orleans and file a claim when the next storm rolls through....

2001 Suburban 2500LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry TT
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Dill TPMS, CorrecTrack alignment, LT tires

mikhen

oley, pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/08 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, find and fix the leak. Then, tear part the floor. You need to remove more than the rotted area, and reinforce any members that you cut off.

It is not an easy job, but if you have any experience repairing houses, it goes pretty good. Fixing the leak may be the hardest part of the PROJECT.

2005 Sunseeker 3100 QBS
camping Pa...The most FREE camping giveaways in Pa

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/08 04:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are not the first person to have something like this happen, people tend to gloss over the problems in order to make a sale.

Our first TT, we thought we paid a fair price for it until I went to fix the front corner that we had noticed befor buying. Turned out that we had to gut more than half of the interior. Replaced all but about 3 roof ribs. I was so mad that I didn't bother taking pictures. It made a very nice trailer that we used for 7 years after repairing, sold it last fall and we used our second rebuild trailer this year.

It is easy for folks to say sell it, get your money back, basically for the most part now you would sell it for less than you paid for it.

Take a step back, take a deep breath, relax, it isn't the end of the world. First thing is to identify and repair the leaks, you will need to remove the outside trim along the roof. Then remove the old caulking and use new caulking then put the trim back up. You will need to repeat with all the corner trim, door(s) and windows, don't forget anything that goes through the exterior.

Once the outside is weather tite, then tackle the floor. You will need to cut back only the TOP plywood of the floor. Using a circular saw, set the depth of cut to about 1/2" (you may need to adjust slightly). Cut out a small square in the affected are, then asses the condition. If bad then cut a slightly larger area, repeating until you find good wood. The floor is a sandwich of sorts, there will be foam insulation under the wood that was glued to the wood.

Once you have found good wood, then you will have to screw in some 2x2s under the floor leaving a little bit sticking out for the new floor to attach to. Once new floor is screwed down you, you might need to use some vinyl patch to fill in any gaps. Now can now put new vinyl down over top.

It can be frustrating and time consumming but in the end you will have learned a lot about RVs and don't need to be afraid of customizing to your tastes.

You can read my 2nd rebuild REBUILD CLICK LINK

You can also look at a document I have been writing that may be some help to you. RV HINTS AND TIPS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Rotten floor and husband threw the vent.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS