RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How do you turn on the Furnace?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> How do you turn on the Furnace?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
motorhead777

VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/09 03:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased a 1996 Fleetwood Tioga Montara RV, and I am new to RV'ing. I want to see if my furnace is working, but I have no idea how to turn on the furnace. Here are some things I know about my RV's furnace and propane system:

1) It is a forced air unit
2) I have a propane tank that is half full and the valve is turned off.
3) I have thermostat in the bedroom part of the RV
4) I know where the furnace is located on the outside of the RV
5) There is a propane detector near the front door of the RV and it is off.

I am looking for some general instructions to light my furnace and see if it will heat the RV. Here are some of the more specific questions I have:

1) Is it just a matter of opening the propane tank valve and lighting the burner inside the furnace?
2) Do I light the furnace with a match or is there a device that does it for me? I know the stove has a device that will light the burners.
3) To put the RV back into storage mode do I only need to turn the propane valve to the off position?
4) If I am out on the road and I turn the propane tank on and light the furnace can I drive around with the propane tank valve open? Is there a pilot light or something in the furnace that keeps it in ready mode?
5) Is the furnace, thermostat, blower motors connected to the 12 volt system or do I need to have the generator running or be plugged into 120 volt outlet?

Any info would be helpful and very much appreciated.

ccxnola

Wherever the rig is - I'm there too!!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/09 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am confident you will get many and varied answers to your questions. BUT...one MAJOR factor with most rigs is that even if you have opened the valve on the propane tank and gas is in the lines, the furnace WILL NOT light unless the propane detector is on and functioning and there is a solid & good 12 volts in the electrical circuits. Don't ask me how I know this - it was a $200 lesson at an RV dealer when my furnace 'would not light'!!

So..generator power is not necessary - only 12+volts. Open the propane tank valve. turn on the propane detector and let it settle, move the thermostat up to a temperature higher than the normal air. Listen for the 'clicking' sound as the automatic ignition tries to light the gas. (If there is air in the line and it does not light quickly, it will shut-down and you need to lower the thermostat, wait a couple of minutes and try it again.) Also, there is a 'sail-switch' that can malfunction and if the fan does not start immediatly, it will not allow the gas to flow to the burner - a safety factor to prevent overheating and burning up your rig!!

1997 Rexhall Rolls Air - mid-entry DP w/cummins c8.3
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators
Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll !!
Click to see the Best View of our rig - That's ME, Going Away!!

snowhawkwoman

Lyons, KS

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/09 04:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 97 Fleetwood C (searcher is same as tioga) and first open up the valve all the way on your propane tank.
Next - flip the switch on the propane detector (it should be right inside the side door.
It should chirp for a bit and then the chirping should turn off. It it just keeps chirping, turn off the switch and turn on again (make sure your RV is level)....when it stops chirping go to the stove and turn on one burner and turn the "clicky" thing that will light the burner.
once you have flame, then turn it off at the stove and go into the bedroom area (your thermostat should be on the wall) and turn thermostat to "heat"....it should kick the heater on in less than a minute if it's cold in the RV.
Good luck.

Snowhawkwoman
Big Owl
dogs Xena,Phoebe,Spooker,Skippy,Zoe,Taz
Punky - the amazing insane Rving Squirrel
1997 Fleetwood Jamboree 29'
The traveling Zoo!

snowhawkwoman

Lyons, KS

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/09 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oh, and yes you can leave your propane on while driving down the road, though many will say it's dangerous. we leave ours on BUT we turn it off (the fridge, etc) before we gas up at the gas station.
Yes, close the valve on the propane tank when you store it and if you have a "disconnect" switch on the house battery, disconnect that also when you store it or it will run down and cause stuff to beeb in your RV.

The furnace should have an auto igniter...you don't have to light anything.

Rolling Condo

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/09 04:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will comment on my procedure. Open propane valve. Light range top burner. Turn refer on and set it for operation on gas. Check that the burner lit. I then light the water heater briefly (right now it is winterized and drained). I then shut it off and can turn the refer off or back to A/C operation. All of this is to purge air out of the propane lines. Then I turn the furnace on and set the T'stat. If it doesn't light (which I check by going outside to the vent), turn the furnace off, wait 30 sec. then turn it back on.

'90 GMC R2500 7.4L w/ Gear Vendor OD
'90 Avion 34V
Cummins Onan P4300ie
Pro Pride 3P
Prodigy

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/09 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

one way to make sure the propane is through out the gas lines, say to the furnace and stove. Is to light the stove and let it burn for a few minutes, this will purge the line of any air and thus get propane to the furnace right a way.

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/09 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did not read all the replys, but here is a tid-bit that got me good.......The hidden "Start" switch.

Our maiden voyage we were in the Rockies at a high altitude camp ground. It was getting real cold so I did all the normal stuff to get the furnace running, but I got nothing. In despiration, I unscrewed the outside access panel and found a switch there. I flipped it and Wholla!

Don't ever run the furnace with the outside access panel off. The exhaust fumes quickly get sucked inside.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/09 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jpfx wrote:

here's a picture of the switch ron is talking about which is behind the external access cover... 2/3rds of the way up on the left hand side.

You can just about see 'off' on the switch. to the right is a breaker.
That's it jpfx. Great pic! Thanks for stepping in a clarifying my reply.

The switch in the picture is right above the Atwood "A" symbol, the black switch facing downward, partially hidden behind the clear plastic wire tie.

tboss

FLORIDA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/09 07:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your thermostat is like mine it has a switch under the thermostat to turn the unit off and on Look on the bottom of the thermostat and it should be there . If it like mine

jpfx

Columbia SC

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/09 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

here's a picture of the switch ron is talking about which is behind the external access cover... 2/3rds of the way up on the left hand side.

You can just about see 'off' on the switch. to the right is a breaker.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> How do you turn on the Furnace?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS