|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Cheap (but good) wine

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rede2rv

Rio Linda CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/09 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no taste buds for wine, mostly do not like wine. A sweet wine is good for me, but have no knowledge of choosing one lol. But how about a big ole glass of MD 20 20

onthego

Happytraveler

Capistrano Beach, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/09 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We like Old Moon Zinfandel $4.99 from Trader Joe's. It's a popular wine on there shelf.

Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/09 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm really glad we have Trader Joe's handy. Three buck chuck is great stuff for the money. We've shocked many a wine snob serving the stuff at dinners who couldn't believe it was $3 wine.

Their trick is blending leftover grapes from the high end California. No uniform vintage, but they do a great job of blending to simulate the effect. In my admittedly non-expert opinion, Chuck equals anybody else's $20 a bottle wine.

whimstock

Beautiful El Paso, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/09 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

javaseuf wrote:

.....Expect to see twist-caps on all but the very expensive wines in the next few years..

I've heard this, too, Steve. Hogue cellars have used the screw tops for years, and they are excellent, especially the Late Harvest Riesling. ($7.99 at World Market) Corks are mainly for snob appeal.

These days, I prefer reds: BV Coastal, Columbia Crest, anything from the Llano vineyards in the Hill Country of TX, and most definitely....the Franzia Merlot in a Box. All under $10 and all at good old WalMart.

My favorite wine at the moment? Ruffino Chianti...$7.99.

javaseuf

California's Gold Coast

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/09 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rollincool wrote:

Good wine = cork.

Cheap wine = twist off top.

Here ya go, good cheap wine.

Actually, I learned something about corks on my last Wine Tour in Napa.
Expect to see twist-caps on all but the very expensive wines in the next few years.
Because of bacteria, there is currently a 10% spoilage rate for corked bottles. The use of alternative ways to seal bottles such as cork/plastic blend and straight plastic corks have been used recently. However, with twist-caps having a zero defect rate, even bottles of wine in the $20.00 range will be seen with twist-caps soon.

So, twist-caps will no longer be a way to determine the quality of wines.
Now, plastic lined boxes and gallon glass jugs are another story..........

G7ARYM

Somewhere on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/09 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a cheap white try Meridian Chardonnay Santa Barbara '07. Lists for $10.00 but BevMo and most major markets and CVS in CA have it for $5.99 ($5.35 if you but 6 at Albertson’s). We first found it as the ’05 and it has been consistent now through the ’07 vintage. No oak but lots of flavor, just plain good. Another cheap white which has been consistent for more than 30 years is Paul Mason Emerald Dry. A grey riesling which is a little sweeter than the Meridian and at $7-8 for a 1.75LTR at BevMo you can’t go wrong. Unfortunately the only cheap under $10.00 reds we have found have been at end of vintage sales at the wineries we hit during our travels. But the search is a big part of the fun and we have room to store 6 cases under the bed. See you on the road.

Bubby's RV

CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/09 05:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lucky's/Albertson's/Save-Mart has their own brand of "two-buck chuck" known as Foxhorn. We like it better than Charles Shaw and the price is the same. Other good, inexpensive brands are: Fetzer, Delecato and Barefoot.

John, Winnebago Minnie 24V

whimstock

Beautiful El Paso, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/09 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speaking of WalMart wines, my favorite wine story involves one of the white wines they carry.

With a fancy dinner at Gaston's White River Resort in the Ozarks, we splurged on a $20 bottle of wine. It was good.

Found the same wine in their gift shop after dinner, for $10.00.

Lo and behold...same wine at the local Arkansas WalMart...$6.99! Just as good.

By the way, at the prestigious Florida State International Wine Competition recently, Oak Leaf Vineyards from California won gold.

With 84 wineries competing in Chardonnay category, only four received gold medals and Oak Leaf was the biggest bargain by far, at $1.97 suggested retail price in California and $2.97 in most other states. (Sold on the end cap at...WalMart. )

dicknellen

Fallon Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/09 04:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

check out www.carlorossi.com good table wine made with 100% grapes and you they have plans on line to build lamps and things. Paisano & Chianti in my opinion are good. You can find at most grocery and drug stores in the West.
Regards
Dick

sheldons65

Fort Worth, TX

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/09 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about some Boone's Farm?

I remember that after a plastic cup of that stuff I would get a terrible headache.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Cheap (but good) wine
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS