Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: portable oxygen concentrator

Posted By: rwm2_2000 on 09/27/09 08:04am

We like camping in our little remodeled Scotty Camper but last thursday my wife was told she will need to be on oxygen 24/7-probably for the rest of her life. In order for us to continue camping she's going to need a portable Oxygen Concentrator so if anyone knows someone who has a used one I sure wish they would send me a private message. Also I'd like to know how dangerous using oxygen is in a small camper. We use a small electric heater in the winter but otherwise there is no flames-a fire in this small trailer would be rough if not deadly.

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 09/27/09 08:17am

what rate O2 is she using? when I was looking most portables were in the 2-3 LPM bracket. At that time I was using 9 or so and took a large 120 volt one. and I would say there is very little danger, don't put out that much volume to matter.
bumpy

Posted By: rwm2_2000 on 09/27/09 08:33am

2 LPM...My wife and I saw a house burn where there was oxygen in use and it was a scary scene...It was burning like it had gas in it.

Posted By: cruiserjs on 09/27/09 12:10pm

I use a portable one while travelling. Medicare paid for mine and will will produce up to 6lpm. PM me for brand etc 'cause I don't want to advertise the brand/model.
My resp. tech said don't worry about having it in the RV - just don't have it on you if you are cooking over the open flame so I don't cook anymore!! (LOL)

Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

Posted By: Patric on 09/27/09 02:30pm

My oxygen supplier provides a small, easily handled concentrator whenever we travel. As medicare is paying there is no out of pocket cost for me. May want to talk to her doctor about setting her up with a supplier.

Posted By: Chuck&Gail on 09/27/09 02:31pm

As I said in PM, look at an Eclipse by Sequal. Don't think we could travel without it.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 09/28/09 10:18am

I just saw an ad on TV at 1-800-431-4428. don't know anything about the outfit but you might get some ideas as to what is available.
bumpy

Posted By: T_Bone on 09/28/09 11:21am

rwm2_2000 wrote:

We like camping in our little remodeled Scotty Camper but last thursday my wife was told she will need to be on oxygen 24/7-probably for the rest of her life. In order for us to continue camping she's going to need a portable Oxygen Concentrator so if anyone knows someone who has a used one I sure wish they would send me a private message. Also I'd like to know how dangerous using oxygen is in a small camper. We use a small electric heater in the winter but otherwise there is no flames-a fire in this small trailer would be rough if not deadly.

Hi RWM,

Combustion requires, fuel---oxygen---ignition source. If you remove any one of the three requirements, NO combustion can take place.

100% oxygen can not burn, period. You would need too add a fuel source to have a combustible mixture.

The most common carbon based fuels,(gasoline, diesel, LP, NG) CAN require a fuel to oxy mixture as low as 6 parts Oxy, one part fuel, too have a combustible mixture, with using 100% oxygen.

A typical gasoline engine, LP furnace, etc;, with a 21%Oxy source, requires 14parts Oxy, and 1part gasoline, to have efficient combustion, however combustion CAN occur at less than a 14/1 mixture. It's hard too state what "less than" can be as we would have to know the exact fuel source mixture content, to predict that out come. Fuel sources very slightly between different manufactures, thus the difference.

Air that we breath is 21% oxygen, 78%nitrogen, 1% other gas.

Oxygen concentrators typically produce 97% Oxygen.

So from the above, one can say a room filled with a mixture of 21%Oxy and 97%Oxy, will have a faster rate of ignition and combustion than the same room with only 21%Oxy available, hence the warnings labels.

Too put your mind at ease, please go visit a oxy/acetylene torch owner and have them demonstrate how the torch works. Some high schools, Vo-tech or a collage, is a great place too find oxy/acet torch in use.

I'm also on o2 24/7. I choose a oxy machine that would refill my own aluminum cylinders for portable use as well supply o2 when I don't want to use the light weight cylinders.

When I'm boondock camping, that's 100% of my camping, I find refilling my cylinders and using them, makes my battery's last longer.

I have 2-small cylinders that will last 4hrs to 5hrs at 3/lph use, each cylinder. I also have two larger cylinders, that will last 18hrs too 20hrs at 3/lph, each cylinder. So I have about 50hrs of use before I have to refill a cylinder. I can also use my machine at the same time I'm refilling a cylinder.

With only having Medicare A&B, my o2 supplier covers 100% of the cost. Just ask them.

T_Bone
02 F350, 4x6, CC, DRW, PSD, 6spd, 3:73
32ft Serria 10yr 100% Solar
Please do not trust everything you read on the internet. Use only valid engineering information from well established Companys.
Buy UNION Work UNION
It pays off in the long run !

Posted By: avan on 09/28/09 12:48pm

DW also uses the Sequal Eclipse and it's great in our FT RV and when she flies. Paid through medicare.

Posted By: PennyPA on 09/29/09 11:09am

T-Bone, what size tanks do you have that last 18 to 20 hours per tank on 3lpm?? They must be rather large ones (taller than 3') because the E tanks only last about 9 hours on 1 lpm.

COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

My Home - 2002 Glendale Titanium, 32/37DS
Our Home's Leader - Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually

Our Leaders - Pounce Perfect(Dog-At Rainbow Bridge), Taco Terror (Dog), Sam Social (CAG) & Nellie Nuisance (Kitten)

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 09/29/09 12:10pm

according to my book, a M cylinder lasts 18 hours on 3 l/m and a H cylinder lasts 36 hours on 3 l/m
bumpy

Posted By: PennyPA on 09/29/09 01:32pm

I think you're looking at an old book...or something. There are several different sizes of M cylinders and the largest portable one (M9) has but 255 liters in it. Using that at 3 lpm, without a conserver, would give you just a little over an hour of O2.

An E cylinder, the one most commonly pulled behind you on a little cart, contains 680 liters of O2 and will last 3.77 hours without a conserver. T-Bone may well have been using a conserver with his tanks.

I've read many favorable comments about the Eclipse for traveling. If I were still on O2, though, I'd use my concentrator in the RV and the two homefill M6 tanks for out-and-about. I don't like having to pull something behind me.

An H cylinder is not a portable nor is it usually used for home use.

Posted By: T_Bone on 09/29/09 02:51pm

Pitapony wrote:

T-Bone, what size tanks do you have that last 18 to 20 hours per tank on 3lpm?? They must be rather large ones (taller than 3') because the E tanks only last about 9 hours on 1 lpm.

Hi Pitapony,

There 4"dia x 16"long, weighs 7/lbs. It's the delivery regulator that makes the difference. It's sniffer valve, only outputs o2 when you inhale. Will also work on a 50ft hose.

This has also stopped my snoring as you have to keep your mouth closed to make the regulator work.

Do you use a pulseox meter?

T_Bone

Posted By: PennyPA on 09/29/09 03:21pm

T-Bone, I do occasionally use my pulse ox when I'm feeling sob for no apparent reason.

That's what I figured, that you were using a conserver (what you call a sniffer valve) with your tanks or you'd never get that time out of a tank. That's good for people who can use the pulse dose system but some can only use the continuous flow which really limits the time each tank gives them.

Most people on O2 24/7 must use continuous during the night because our breathing becomes so shallow at night, it often doesn't trigger the conserver. I'm surprised your doctor (or supplier) approved the use of pulse dose at night.

Posted By: T_Bone on 09/29/09 03:42pm

Pitapony wrote:

Most people on O2 24/7 must use continuous during the night because our breathing becomes so shallow at night, it often doesn't trigger the conserver. I'm surprised your doctor (or supplier) approved the use of pulse dose at night.

You just need too retrain your breathing habits too use the sniffer valve. Very easy too do. Keep your mouth shut too breath.

1st, you'll notice no more snoring.

2nd, you'll notice no more sleep apnea.

Maybe it's time too see another Doc ?

T_Bone

Posted By: jim & pat on 09/29/09 04:09pm

avan. do you use the eclipse all the time, day and night. and what do you carry for backup.

Posted By: PennyPA on 09/29/09 04:29pm

Uh, I don't have sleep apnea and a person can have sleep apnea whether they sleep with their mouth shut or open. How you sleep has little to do with sleep apnea. All doctors I've seen re: copd and my surgery want their patients to use continuous at night because you breathe more shallowly at night and usually not deep enough to trigger a pulse dose conserver. Are you telling me your doctor actually told you to use the pulse dose at night (it's not called a sniffer valve).

Jim, I'm not Avan but we carry 4 E tanks for backup. We keep 3 in a trunk in the truck and one by the bed. Does your wife use 2 lpm for activity or when sitting around?

If you're in a position to be able to buy a used concentrator, you could use that while in the trailer and use the Eclipse (courtesy of insurance) when you're out and about.

Posted By: jim & pat on 10/06/09 02:22pm

as of now we carry 3 e tanks and 28 m tanks. DW uses e tank while traveling in RV. uses m tanks when out and about. uses concentrator when stoped at CG. thinking of getting portable unit for air travel and out of country,

Print  |  Close