RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buffalo NY to Myrtle Beach SC - Best Route?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Buffalo NY to Myrtle Beach SC - Best Route?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
fjmny57

buffalo, ny

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/10 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am planning a trip in a Class C MH (Seneca MS 36) from Buffalo NY to Myrtle Beach SC and looking for the best route? This means no mountain roads with runnaway truck ramps! I would also like to avoid major metorpolitan areas if possible. I also need a campground about halfway (9-10 hours from Buffalo) would be great. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will be traveling at the end of April.
Thank you

VintageRacer

Tatamagouche Nova Scotia

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/10 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think it's possible to get from buffalo NY to Myrtle Beach without going on roads that have runaway truck ramps. You may be able to do that by taking the I75 to Atlanta route, but even then there are a few mountains to cross. I personally would take I77 down from Cleveland, it goes through some nice mountains in Verginia that I like, or take I79 south from Erie, it is a little hillier but joins up with I77 near Beckley if you take RTE 19, or you can take I79 to Pittsburg and go across the PA Turnpike towards Washington DC and take I95 - but the PA turnpike is not the un-hilliest or best road you will ever travel and there is the whole getting around DC thing.

My personal advice - embrace the runaway truck ramps! you have them, you also have nice scenery!

Brian

2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/10 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VE3ESN mentioned the two Flying Js in close proximity to each other. The one at Exit 77 is more RV friendly than the one at Exit 80. Ingress, egress, and parking (if dry camping) is easier.

Also mentioned were the 2 Walmarts along Hwy 19, the Mountaineer Expressway. One is in Summersville,, the other in Fayetteville. Both, approximately 25 miles apart, are RV friendly allowing over night parking. The Fayetteville location is very new, has a much larger parking lot, and is easier to find a level spot. Over night parking is also available at the Tamarac travel plaza on I-77 in Beckley. Additionally, there is the Princeton, WV Walmart at exit, I believe #9, that allows overnight parking. It's practically across the street from the rest area which prohibits overnight parking. It will be on the east side of the Interstate. Travel safe.

RVn Full-time

VE3ESN

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/10 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eycom wrote:

Exit 77 in Wytheville, VA, there's a Flying J (about 10 hrs. from Buffalo) where you'll find your best fuel prices.

If you're able to boondock for one night, the Flying J mentioned by Eyecom is a good alternative. (Actually, there are two Flying J's that you'll see when using this route and either should be OK for a one-night stop.)

We've used this route, but travel from the Toronto area, so generally stop at the Walmart Supercenter in Summersville, WV, on the right side of US 19, or another WMSC that's a bit farther south, on the left side of US 19.

When we first started travelling south, we didn't really know about Flying J and Walmart "hospitality", and it was really hard to find an open CG in the winter. While enroute south, we've stayed a number of times at these spots with no trouble.

Jerry & Susie
1996 Roadtrek 190 Versatile (Dodge 5.2 L)
FMCA F390585
Trees are being destroyed through the transportation of invasive insects and diseases in firewood. For more information, please visit www.dontmovefirewood.org

miatared

Toronto, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/10 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eycom wrote:

I make that trip many times throughout the year...

Thank you for this, this summer we will be going to Lakewood CG in Myrtle Beach, SC for a week and then St. Augustine for another week and I was looking for a road - got it now.

Regards,

Denis
Pickering, ON

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/10 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I make that trip many times throughout the year. While the I-75 route is less mountainous, it just ain't worth the time, distance, and aggravation. I'd take I-90 west to I-79 (Erie, PA). South to Exit 57 in WV. Take US 19 to Beckley, WV and I-77 S. In NC, take I-74 to I-40.

US 19 is a 4 lane divided expressway that passes through several small towns. Posted limit in the open areas is 65. Drops to 50 in town. There is zero tolerance for speeders. You'll have one long 9% grade, with a truck lane, between Midway and Beckley on US 19. The rest of the grades are about 6% or less and have truck lanes where needed. There are two tunnels with no propane restrictions. There is one long grade between Fancy Gap, VA and the NC line that's subject to dense fog and heavy winds at times. Just drive accordingly. I've seen every RV imaginable successfully navigating that route.

Nine hours from Buffalo should place you around Exit 20, Camp Creek, WV. Camp Creek SP is about 2 miles off I-77. Open year round, about $20/night. May have limited facilities in April. Exit 77 in Wytheville, VA, there's a Flying J (about 10 hrs. from Buffalo) where you'll find your best fuel prices. Speaking of 10 hrs., at Exit 80 there is Ft Chiswell RV Campground, a Good Sam park with FHUs and open year round.

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/10 09:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go over east and down 15.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Buffalo NY to Myrtle Beach SC - Best Route?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS