Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: RV Antifreeze to water ratio...?

Posted By: d3500ram on 11/12/10 03:38pm

What is a good ratio of mixing RV antifreeze with water and still being safe to use in a cassette toilet for flushing?

Can I mix 1 gallon AF to 1 gallon water? Or should there be less water?

...or full strength AF?

Thanks.


2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
2008 NorthStar Arrow short bed.



Posted By: PenMan on 11/12/10 03:43pm

If you are talking about the pink antifreeze made for RV's, it is made to be used full strength.


Chris and Jane and two boys (and a DDIL) who prefer tents
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide



Posted By: d3500ram on 11/12/10 03:59pm

PenMan wrote:

If you are talking about the pink antifreeze made for RV's, it is made to be used full strength.

Yes... RV type antifreeze. I would like to dilute it but still have low temp protection.


Posted By: sleepy on 11/12/10 04:00pm

I have found that the lable usually has a lot of information on it, it is usually dumbed down so anyone can understand it

I like pictures.


2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare


Posted By: skipnchar on 11/12/10 04:09pm

We used to use windshield washer fluid to flush our toilets. Much less costly than RV Antifreeze.


2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population



Posted By: rockylarson on 11/12/10 04:16pm

This chart may only help to confuse.

Propylene-glycol mixtures


Remember that the -50 degrees is not the freezing point but bursting protection. In the common RV antifreeze of around 25-30% premixed it will start to form ice crystals around 15 degrees and solidify at -15. It just doesn't expand and burst until the rated -50. Even cutting it with equal parts of water brings the freezing point pretty close to that of plain water.
Slush don't flush......
If you must I would stick with undiluted and if you plan on temperatures in the minus figures you should seek out the minus 100 formulations at a marine store.


2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2003 CRV/2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300watts solar, 7 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.



Posted By: d3500ram on 11/12/10 07:50pm

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to be using the camper this weekend and I will most likely be using the furnace. I forgot about using windshield wiper fluid.

I reminded me of a member here who mentioned it in the article in TRUCK CAMPER MAGAZINE about CASSETTE TOILETS.. In it, Rex of NorthStar alludes to using this as a winterizer.

I will use it as I went to NAPA and WalMart and they are getting over $5 a gallon for RV AF.


Posted By: rickjo on 11/12/10 04:33pm

Cassette Toilet is the question...

Wally World AF says it's good to -50 deg F.

I would assume you could protect the Cassette toilet with as much as 1 to 1 ratio if you know in advance what temps to expect. If you're gonna stay in Summit County or similar and you get a -20 deg F stretch, you may want to play it safer than that and dilute less or not at all.

Rick


2004 F-350 4WD Crew Cab Dually w/ Airlift air bags, Luverne brush guard, side steps and splash guards.
2007 LanceMax 1181 loaded, wider aftermarket custom mattress (driver's side locker omitted).
"Leave the trail a little better than you found it."



Posted By: garry1p on 11/12/10 04:33pm

Use it full strength and then you will not have to worry if it is safe enough.


Garry1p


1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport



Posted By: sleepy on 11/12/10 04:35pm

rockylarson wrote:

This chart may only help to confuse.

Propylene-glycol mixtures


Remember that the -50 degrees is not the freezing point but bursting protection. In the common RV antifreeze of around 25-30% premixed it will start to form ice crystals around 15 degrees and solidify at -15. It just doesn't expand and burst until the rated -50. Even cutting it with equal parts of water brings the freezing point pretty close to that of plain water.
Slush don't flush......
If you must I would stick with undiluted and if you plan on temperatures in the minus figures you should seek out the minus 100 formulations at a marine store.


RV antifreeze isn't poison is it, it isn't ethelene glycol is it??

Where can you legally dump ethelene glycol... automotive antifreeze?


Posted By: markowwes on 11/12/10 04:49pm

RV antifreeze is not poisonous…….you wouldn’t catch me going around drinking it straight though…..it probably would make you a little sick. As far as mixing it…..don’t….it is designed to use pure, it will crystallize if it gets cold when mixed. For what it costs why would you want to cut it anyway? It is not a hazardous material….you can dump it down any drain.
Wes


Posted By: JimK-NY on 11/12/10 05:34pm

If you are storing your camper in Colorado temps, you would need to be close to full strength. If you want to use the cassettee while heating the camper, you have a lot more leeway. My cassette is within the insulated portion of the camper; however, it is blocked from any direct heat and the exterior compartment door is not insulated. I would not risk more than a 50:50 dilution for temps of about 0 oF or a bit lower. For bitter cold, like -20, I would stick with full strength. Trying to save a few dollars is not worth the risk. Someone mentioned wiper fluid. That is a lower cost option for temporary use.






Posted By: trails2004 on 11/12/10 05:56pm

skipnchar wrote:

We used to use windshield washer fluid to flush our toilets. Much less costly than RV Antifreeze.


Isnt automotive washer fluid alcohol based-----????? Dont you think it is kinda hard on seals in your valves????


Posted By: sleepy on 11/12/10 06:04pm

trails2004 wrote:

skipnchar wrote:

We used to use windshield washer fluid to flush our toilets. Much less costly than RV Antifreeze.


Isnt automotive washer fluid alcohol based-----????? Dont you think it is kinda hard on seals in your valves????


My toilet manual says to spray the valve seals with silicone oil... maybe the people using alcohol based windshield fluid are mixing silicone oil with it...

If you forget, I'd bet it streaks the windows terriably... but at least the bugs won't stick!


Posted By: Reddog1 on 11/15/10 10:42am

I seldom camp in temp below 15 degrees. I never had a problem with the tank contents freezing, after putting about a 1/2 gallon of RV anti-freeze in each tank. I do not always use the furnace for heat, which heats my tanks.

Typically, I empty my gray and black tanks at home, after every camping trip. Two years ago, we had 20-degrees for about two weeks. I had dumped and drained my tanks, but put no anti-freeze in them. I could not open the dump valves because the were froze. I was concerned I had damaged them, but they were OK after they thawed. I now put about a quart in each tank, after dumping them, during the winter months.

Wayne


Posted By: LabMan1945 on 11/13/10 02:09pm

d3500Ram,
The way I have done it in the past has been to use windshield washer fluid and just use it full strength. I have not filled the holding tank but have simply kept the jug in the john and used it as the flush manually. No big deal doing it that way ans I think it may use a lot less - depending on how hard you decide to flush! Good luck.
Grant


Dodge 2500 CTD.
Northstar 850SC
Constant companions - Scoter and Skye - Black Labs (better than most people)


Posted By: Popkorn on 11/13/10 02:09pm

Has anyone tried to blow out the pipes with air pressure? Doing that you only have to pour some RV antifreeze in the "P" traps (Sinks and Shower. I use air pressure to blow out my underground irrigation systems and they are only about 6" from the surface. Not every drop of water is expressed. Any that's left in low spots probably freezes but it has two directions to expand and I've never lost a pipe from freezing. Once the pipes are clear a couple of cups of that RV antifreeze in the "P" traps should keep you safe. BTW - don't forget to drain the hot water tank and leave the exterior valve slightly cracked open. My rig is plumbed so I can stop water flowing into the hot water tank - that helps a lot too.


Jerry Crawford

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.


Posted By: Photomike on 11/13/10 02:37pm

Popkorn wrote:

Has anyone tried to blow out the pipes with air pressure? Doing that you only have to pour some RV antifreeze in the "P" traps (Sinks and Shower. I use air pressure to blow out my underground irrigation systems and they are only about 6" from the surface. Not every drop of water is expressed. Any that's left in low spots probably freezes but it has two directions to expand and I've never lost a pipe from freezing. Once the pipes are clear a couple of cups of that RV antifreeze in the "P" traps should keep you safe. BTW - don't forget to drain the hot water tank and leave the exterior valve slightly cracked open. My rig is plumbed so I can stop water flowing into the hot water tank - that helps a lot too.


The OP wanted to use a cassette toilet, not winterize the camper.

Unless it gets very cold a little AF would be enough to stop freezing as long as you had the heat on in the TC.


2002 GMC 2500HD 4x4 4 Door
1992 Northern Lite 9'- 6" Camper with cargo trailer for hauling supplies
Advanced Elements Kayaks
Border Collie Guard Dog

Paterson Photography Web Site



Posted By: Popkorn on 11/13/10 02:57pm

Photomike wrote:

Popkorn wrote:

Has anyone tried to blow out the pipes with air pressure? Doing that you only have to pour some RV antifreeze in the "P" traps (Sinks and Shower. I use air pressure to blow out my underground irrigation systems and they are only about 6" from the surface. Not every drop of water is expressed. Any that's left in low spots probably freezes but it has two directions to expand and I've never lost a pipe from freezing. Once the pipes are clear a couple of cups of that RV antifreeze in the "P" traps should keep you safe. BTW - don't forget to drain the hot water tank and leave the exterior valve slightly cracked open. My rig is plumbed so I can stop water flowing into the hot water tank - that helps a lot too.


The OP wanted to use a cassette toilet, not winterize the camper.

Unless it gets very cold a little AF would be enough to stop freezing as long as you had the heat on in the TC.



oops!


Posted By: sleepy on 11/13/10 02:59pm

It embarresses me to answer a qurstion incorrectly just because I didn't read the queation or other posts.

I has happened


Posted By: sleepy on 11/13/10 10:22am

I'm reading this different than others... the OP isn't asking about winterizing.

d3500ram wrote:

What is a good ratio of mixing RV antifreeze with water and still being safe to use in a cassette toilet for flushing?

Can I mix 1 gallon AF to 1 gallon water? Or should there be less water?

...or full strength AF?

Thanks.


I'm reading this as the mix for flushing... so that the cassette toilet can continue to be used without freezing up.

please read the OP's original post again... maybe I'm wrong


If so we're not talking about a gallon or two of the safe TV antifreeze.


Posted By: d3500ram on 11/13/10 10:35am

sleepy wrote:

I'm reading this different than others... the OP isn't asking about winterizing.

d3500ram wrote:

What is a good ratio of mixing RV antifreeze with water and still being safe to use in a cassette toilet for flushing?

Can I mix 1 gallon AF to 1 gallon water? Or should there be less water?

...or full strength AF?

Thanks.


I'm reading this as the mix for flushing... so that the cassette toilet can continue to be used without freezing up.

please read the OP's original post again... maybe I'm wrong


If so we're not talking about a gallon or two of the safe TV antifreeze.


Sleepy is correct. Just for use in the cassette. The rest of the domestic water system is winterized and will remain that way until May or June depending on temps.

I posed the question of dilution is so I do not have to use so much AF. The Thetford manual calls for some 4 gallons of flushing fluid (be it water or otherwise.) For just a weekends use it seemed excessive.

My last camper with cassette was only used in the summer before I sold it and I just used a full amont of water. First timer here with cassette in winter and never thought about this before.

The RV AF at Walmart is of the Presstone brand at $5 a pop... that is all they had in stock up here. Filling the reservoir would have made for an expensive cr-app.

I am going to use the RV AF but only as needed; I will pour some in the holding tank and manually pour only the needed amount before and after use. I see no need to fill the resevior for limited use... but even if I did, it could stay there for future trips this winter.

Thanks to all... headin' out soon, gonna catch up with BTGrafix and friends.


Posted By: PapPappy on 11/12/10 08:05pm

The pink stuff is to be used full strength....and why not, it's cheap enough, only about $3.50 per gallon at Walmart. Almost any RV will only require 2-gals, so to me, it's well worth using as directed!

I don't know why your Walmart is charging over $5.00.....it's usually not that expensive there!

This really isn't something you want to 'cheap' out on..


Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets



Posted By: bobndot on 11/12/10 08:47pm

Walmart carries two brands of pink stuff , unkown brand at 3.50 / gal. and Prestone 4.98 .

Using a thermometer , get a reading of your home freezer. Why not test some windshield washer fluid in a cup , put it in the freezer at a 50-50 mix, see if it freezes . Experiment with different ratios . I think the orange windshield washer that you can buy at Walmart is rated to -25F at full strength. I tried the test while snowmobiling last year. At -10F the blue windshield washer fluid ( i think it's rated for -15F ) got slushy with a 50/50 mix, but that was outside in a cup as a test.


Posted By: sleepy on 11/13/10 03:09am

My advice is: If you can't keep it from freezing, don't use it.

If you use 1/2 the volume for antifreeze... theres not much room for body waste.

I would "pretend" that I was in my tent... depending on where i was I'd P behind a tree

Pretend that I was on a colorado rafting trip... p00p in a big zip-lock bag (p00psycles)

.........................

So far... we have managed to stay at temperatures for long periods above 10 degrees F without doing anything extroidinary... the furnace must be helping.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''

Good luck on your problem... adding anything but heat to your tank is a waste (a pun was intended).

Sleepy 931


Posted By: thundercloud on 11/13/10 08:15am

PapPappy wrote:

The pink stuff is to be used full strength....and why not, it's cheap enough, only about $3.50 per gallon at Walmart. Almost any RV will only require 2-gals, so to me, it's well worth using as directed!

This really isn't something you want to 'cheap' out on..


I'm glad you posted it. I can not believe some people are skimping on their investment. Sounds penny-wise and pound foolish to me.


Happy TC'N,
Dave
____________________________________________
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 CTD 6-speed
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4SB, Xantrex XADC 60, AM Solar 200 watt SunRunner system, Mach8 Cub, Rigid Industries LED lights



Print  |  Close