|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Cleaning Mold Off of EPDM Roof

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
SETenn

Benton TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/11 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have what appears to be mold or mildew on the roof of my 2007 TT. The Dicor website states to use Tilex to clean it but this stuff is so strong I thought about a mixture of bleach and water first to see if this would work. The Tilex instructions make me a little nervous, especially the part about not getting it on aluminum (my trailer has aluminum siding). I realize that bleach is not good for it either but I have spilled some bleach as I have added it to the holding tank for the yearly sanitization of the water lines and have always rinsed it off with no problems.

Has anyone else used a bleach solution to clean the mold from your roof?

CISCO8325

Peoria,az.

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/11 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

use spic and span move everyone will recommend it.

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/11 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SETenn wrote:

I have what appears to be mold or mildew on the roof of my 2007 TT. The Dicor website states to use Tilex to clean it but this stuff is so strong I thought about a mixture of bleach and water first to see if this would work. The Tilex instructions make me a little nervous, especially the part about not getting it on aluminum (my trailer has aluminum siding). I realize that bleach is not good for it either but I have spilled some bleach as I have added it to the holding tank for the yearly sanitization of the water lines and have always rinsed it off with no problems.

Has anyone else used a bleach solution to clean the mold from your roof?

Why worry about it ... it won't effect the life of the roof ... just make it ugly for the birds that can see it. Getting up there and applying cleaners and scrubbing will do more damage IMO that just leaving it alone.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

thib2722

Eunice, LA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/06/11 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your trailer has painted aluminum siding, so Tilex shouldn't harm it. Unless you want streaks, though, you should have someone keeping the sides wet to avoid streaking.

Our roof instructions said to use Spic and Span or Murphy's Oil Soap. Those clean the roof but not remove mildew. The only "safe" thing that I found to kill that black mold was the rubber roof cleaner/treatment that they sell at the RV stores. I believe the last bottle I bought was made by Thetford.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 06/06/11 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leave that cover off next winter so you don't get MORE. If you must cover get a breathable one. Good luck / skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

webhannet

Southern Coastal Maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/11 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used regular EPDM roof cleaners followed by a quick mopping with diluted bleach - let sit a few minutes - lots of rinsing. I found, over time, the roof didn't need more than the light bleach done every few months. I sold it at 16 years old - no wear-through in the color and looking like new.

DavidP

Raleigh

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/11 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I say leave it. Unsightly but harmless. If you are going to use anything I would use Spic-N-Span

Lucas874

Kingston, NH

View Profile

Posted: 06/07/11 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just cleaned my roof with bleach...worked great. The roof is white as the day I bought it and no more ugly black streaks down the side of the trailer.

2009 Jayco Eagle 324BHDS
2011 Ford F-350 CC Lariat 6.7

DavidP

Raleigh

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/11 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lucas874 wrote:

I just cleaned my roof with bleach...worked great. The roof is white as the day I bought it and no more ugly black streaks down the side of the trailer.

Bleach or any citrus based cleaner is awful for a rubber roof and will dry the rubber out very fast. Bleach especially should never be used.

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/07/11 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“There are different opinions when it comes to cleaning and protecting rubber roofs, but everyone agrees that EPDM’s solvent and oil resistance is poor. Care and maintenance instructions from both manufacturers have the following warning: “DO NOT use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives or Citric based cleaners. You may cause irreparable damage to your roof””

“To maintain your warranty, all that is required is periodic cleaning at least 3 to 4 times per year. What you use is wide open as long as it does not contain petroleum distillates, harsh abrasives, or delaminane (citrus based cleaners). Dicor recommends a non-abrasive type cleaner such as RC 100TM, Borax or DawnTM and a medium to stiff brush. Alpha Systems recommends using a household cleaner such as CometTM, Spic-N-SpanTM, Ajax TM, etc. They say to use a medium-bristled scrub brush in place of a sponge because the EPDM rubber roofing material is not smooth like fiberglass. For more stubborn stains, i.e. oak leaves, pine sap, mold or mildew, the use of a kitchen cleanser with bleach, such as TilexTM or Soft ScrubTM can help. Monoethalomine is also very effective, non-abrasive and minimizes the effort in removing oxidation, pitch, sap, mold and mildew, as well as berry stains from birds and trees. A quick rinse with chlorine (bleach) is necessary to kill the mildew spores and retard their regrowth. Caution should be exercised when washing your roof to prevent cleaners from running down the sides since this could cause streaking. Always pre rinse your RV sides before you rinse your roof. On TPO roofing, Alpha Systems suggests using Murphy’s Oil SoapTM with a soft nylon brush or sponge. DO NOT USE SOLID OR GRANULATED CLEANERS on TPO, AS THEY WILL MAR THE NATURAL FINISH. A good thorough cleaning with some elbow grease, along with the oil soap should keep your roof looking good and remove most stains. Again, any non-granulated, non-abrasive cleaner may be used as long as it does not contain petroleum distillates or delaminane (citrus).”

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Cleaning Mold Off of EPDM Roof
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS