RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: 454 carberator engine opinions???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 454 carberator engine opinions???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
jay317

indianapolis

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/11 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in the process of purchasing a motorhome with a Chevy 454 motor with a carberator..what are you guys opinions on the 454 carberator engine,thanks

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/11 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 87 Allegro 24' with the 454 carb engine. our first MH.
MPG was about 6 to 7.
I had no other problems with it. Some people complain about cracked or warped manifolds.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

lzasitko

Regina, SK Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/11 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 1982 Triple E Class A with the 454 GMC chassis. When we bought it it was dual fuel, gas or propane and at the time propane was a lot cheaper than gas so thats what we used for the first few years. When gas and propane were closer to the same price I started running it on both depending on cost. 2 years ago we started on a trip (running propane) and planned first stop at the family farm which is about a 3 hr drive, got there but the idle seemed higher than normal. Anyways next day it would not start on either gas or propane, got it to backfire once or twice and that was it. Finally found the electrics had a fault and changed a solenoid and it would run on gas but propane was still no go. In the end we drove back home on gas and it was quieter and ran cooler than on propanes so decide to continue our trip on just gas. Averaged 9 to 9.5 mpg where the best I ever saw on propane was around 6-7. Ours has two gas tanks and I can drive close to 600 miles before I have to find fuel. On propane we had to stop no more then 3 hrs or 170-180 miles.

Ran so good on gas that I went and found another carb for it that is straight gas. From day one I have had no problem at all with the motor right now it has around 160,000 miles on it. Turns over once or twice and fires, every time. Only issue I had was plug wires. On first long trip we went out to Vancouver and back and on the way home going through the mountains there was sometimes a slight miss under load. Once we got to calgary I found on plug wire had split open about 1/2 its length and a couple more were starting. As they were in the MH when we bought it I didn't know how old they were. Anyways changed them with good quality and within a few months I had one split so I took them back and got racing plug wires and since then no problems. The engines are located and mostly blocked so they do tend to run hotter than some, still trying different things to see if I can more air flow in the doghouse to help cool things down.

No problem with keeping up with most traffic, only on very long steep grades does it slow down but can still keep it to a reasonable speed. I would like to see more engine braking in the mountains so I didn't have the use the service brakes as much but going downhill I take it easier then going uphill.

gswcgi

Wandering

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/11 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 1985 23' Allegro with a 454, nothing but engine troubles...it chewed up manifolds & headers. It had a terrible vapor lock problem which old man Tiffin finally solved by installing a second fuel pump in front of the fuel tank! It had great power and great engine heat. Very sensitive smog set up. It would climb a flag pole if you could keep the heat down. My two happiest days were when I bought it & sold it.Good luck, if another one showed up in my front yard I would shoot it!!!!!!!!!!

'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

NTORACN

Moreno Valley

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/11 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My old 1986 33' ElDorado Encore was a great motor home. I had the carbed 454 and had zero issues with it. I got about 6 mpg average and good power.

supra24valve

Jackson, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/11 05:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tuff as nails. Like rvten said....the manifolds do leak alot on some of these because of poor airflow around them. Nothing that cant be fixed with a set of headers and some air deflecting shields.
I just got back from a mini trip 500 miles in my 1990 TBI 454. No issues pulling a Saturn SL and running 60-70 mph on the freeway. And getting 9-9.5 mpg.
The key is 85 psi in all tires, and 35 in the toad. Light on the gas in take off. May be a little slow, but it is a help on the fuel a lot.

Daveinet

il

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/11 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The big disadvantage of a carb is cold engine start up and altitude compensation. As long as the carb is not leaking, and that includes leaking air around the throttle pivot, it should be OK. TBI was created for smog, no other reason. Really, until you get to port injection, the FI advantages are very small.

Dave

The Flying Fortress
FMCA F298817
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
6% grade = wanna drag?
MISC photos
Revconeers Forum

topflite51

In The Desert of Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/11 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a carb'd 454 in our first MH, absolutely no problems with it or engine in 25K.

David
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to golf or fish
Simply Despicable
Any errors are a result of CRS.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/11 08:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brian in Michigan wrote:

I am still running mine. Had the distributor recurved and the carburetor rebuild this spring. I went from 7.5 to 8.75mpg running at 60mph. the best money you will spend will be on a new radiator ( if it hasn't been replaced yet. )

jay317 take Brian's radiator remark seriously if you plan to keep the MH a few years.

The 454 engine does not run hot if all is set up correctly and in good working order. When you pull the radiator to recore, etc DO replace the engine water pump, clutch fan and thermostat and all rubber in the nose. Do NOT replace with the stock 454 water pump because the true MH chassis (has P37 in the VIN) uses a higher output water pump. Using a stock 454 water pump can insure when you need it the most it will let you run HOT.

Doing the above will give you a 2011 version cooling system and does not cost that much (just the recoring itself is $500+) when you consider it is good for another 20 years.

Brian in Michigan

S.E. Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/11 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am still running mine. Had the distributor recurved and the carburetor rebuild this spring. I went from 7.5 to 8.75mpg running at 60mph. the best money you will spend will be on a new radiator ( if it hasn't been replaced yet. )

1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS, Thorley Headers B&M trans cooler. Auto meter hooked to output of trans. Flowmaster mufflers recurved distributor Still Keepin on Truckin((((Was 7.5mpg Now 8.75mpg ))))

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> 454 carberator engine opinions???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS