RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Hitch with undersized bars!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Hitch with undersized bars!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
BossCamper

Southwestern Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 06:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a new Kingsport, 28r a year ago in May. Needed a stronger hitch, so bought that at the same time, from the same dealer. Had them set it up for me (second mistake) and then had to get it set up again on our first trip. I say second mistake, because the first mistake was buying the hitch from them in the first place!
You would think they would sell the proper hitch, wouldn't you? (another mistake) Well, after a year of fiddling, and messing around trying to get the rig set right (we only use it 3 or 4 times a year), I have come to the belated conclusion that the hitch is too light for the trailer. If I had been more experienced I might have figured it out when they sold it to me. (see my signature!)
Anyway, the trailer sticker states 900lb tongue weight.
The hitch has 1000lb bars, and can't take any higher.

Weighed my tongue weight, and it's 1165lb the way I have it loaded at the moment. I can adjust that a bit, but it sure won't take much gear to reach the 1000lb!

The moral .. unless you know the dealer is experienced in hitch matters, never take what they say to the bank, or you'll really have to be going to the bank like I am to get a stronger hitch!

Experience is that which you gain immediately after you actually needed it.

2011 29' Kingsport 28RLS by Gulfstream
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost 4X4 Supercrew

troll3193

SouthWest, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had that happen to me. I made them swap it out at their cost...

They had installed a head for round bars and 1000lb bars. Second time around I ended up with a trunnion head and 1200lb bars...

I figured it out about 3-4 months this after the fact.

Bryan

2006 RAM 3500 MegaCab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel
Mopar Exhaust Brake
2004 Dutchemen 31BK

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

was it the salesman that told you this is what you needed? if so that makes another mistake, don't listen to them, they only know one thing, nothing

path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 07:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

next mistake will be going back to them again and again.

1997 33 ft Holiday Rambler, Never again will a new RV come into this family
2003 25 ft Majestic M/H, Old RV rental Best travel machine we've ever owned.
2013 Arctic Fox Trailer, new to us, no opinion yet

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 07:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope your reciever is rated for 1100lbs.

BossCamper

Southwestern Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/12 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

path1 wrote:

next mistake will be going back to them again and again.

Never happen. All I've gone back to them for is getting them to re-reimburse me for the second set-up I had to pay for while on our first trip!

nitrohorse

pa

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/12 03:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same thing here. My "dry" tongue weight is 780 and the dealership put 800 pound trunnion bars on my hitch. I questioned that decision and was reassured that the 800 pound bars were
adequate. I went out one time with the trailer loaded and quickly realized that the bars were too weak. Did some research on the net and the fact is that you do not want to "overspring" the hitch as that can cause frame/tongue damage and twisting. I think the problem at the dealership is that Reese only makes the 800 lb springs and then steps up to the 1200 pounders. They did not want to install the 1200 pound springs and instead decided to use the 800s. I'm now at the point where I either attempt to find a used set of 1000 pound bars (supposedly Reese made them at one time in the past) or buy an entirely new hitch.

Lowsuv

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/12 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not know how your WD hitch is set up , but...
With my hitch I adjust the load on the equalizer by adjusting the number of links to apply tension to it.
Because my Duramax has lots of reserve capacity for my 800 pound (max ) tongue weight and my bars are heavy enough for 1000 pounds I adjust the bars with a lighter tension any way.
I can do this because my HD 2500 does not need as much help as a 1500 would.
If they have the 1200 pound bars that you can test , how about a test drive with a lighter tension on them.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/12 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm confused... Why do you want to shift more than 1000 lbs to the front axle? Have you weighed your rig and what are your axle weights?

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

kzspree320

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/12 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

I'm confused... Why do you want to shift more than 1000 lbs to the front axle? Have you weighed your rig and what are your axle weights?

1,000 lb bars are for TT with about 1,000 lb tongue weight. That does NOT mean it shifts 1,000 lbs to the front axle. Within limits, you can choose how much weight to transfer by how many links you use (chain type) or how you position the L bracket (Equalizer type). The WD hitch can not only transfer weight to the front axle of TV, but also to the TT axles.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Hitch with undersized bars!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS