RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Diesel vs gas......................

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Diesel vs gas......................

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 432  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Hannibal

Gas Station

Senior Member

Joined: 04/12/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/02/12 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jevanb wrote:

parkersdad wrote:

Hannibal wrote:

Paul Clancy wrote:

Many of us diesel owners see no need whatsoever to add a tuner. I've been asking the same question you are for years and the only thing I can figure is the allure of easy power is so strong guys can't say no, then the slippery slope of this requires more parts and less reliability (exhaust - guages - air intake etc). My trucks will never have those mods because I value (and get) power with reliability AND a warranty. Towing within manufacturers spec is probably helping me there.


I agree 100%. I run all my trucks bone stock. I don't even run air bags. If it needs to be modded, it's not enough truck to begin with in my humble opinion. If it is enough truck, nothing is needed but a hitch and brake controller.


That is what I say as well. They send it out from the factory the way it is for a reason. I think the truck will last longer if you leave it alone.


if that is true, why do they put a 8 micron fuel filter on the GM, the transfer case will rub a hole in 100k, do you use synthetic oil?? why??, their is no lift pump on a gm and dodge uses the same CP3, want me to keep going??? the ford 6.0 blow heads from rotten EGR coolers, dodge common rail injectors fail and burn holes in pistons. the list is long, most people including me take care of these problems before they happen, I only have 85k but have lots of friends with over 300k, and they tow campers for a living, including my step dads best friend that has 1 million on his 06 Gm diesel, Gm truck and bus plant even took his truck in for a few days when they found out what he had just to look at how well it held up.


Why would anyone in their right mind buy a brand new truck that needs to be fixed before it can be put into service? The list is long eh? Sure, keep going. Very interesting. You're making my point very well. I'll take the horrible suffering of listening to my gas V8's subtle roar at 4k rpm. You can have your list of repairs and special requirements.


'10 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73 80k miles
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
'07 KZ Jag 28JFSS.

Paul Clancy

BC Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 09/16/2005

View Profile



Posted: 07/02/12 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cherry picking every known issue from every generation of diesel from 3 makers doesn't prove anything. Same can be done with gas engines (gm piston slap, fords broken plugs, hemi broken valve springs etc.). What we are saying is hot rodding an engine for increased power doesn't "fix" anything and pushing past tolerances causes failure. There are many high mileage stock duramaxes (Dodge and Ford as well) with no mods and no failures other than wear parts. If I know of a problem issue that affects all trucks like mine I would have it fixed. After 4 years and lots of miles - no such problem has been documented. BTW the gm filter is 4 micron, not 8- and the transfer case pump rub issue ended in 2007.

jevanb

michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 07/20/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/02/12 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hannibal wrote:



Why would anyone in their right mind buy a brand new truck that needs to be fixed before it can be put into service? The list is long eh? Sure, keep going. Very interesting. You're making my point very well. I'll take the horrible suffering of listening to my gas V8's subtle roar at 4k rpm. You can have your list of repairs and special requirements.


go ahead and believe what you want, at 200k come talk, just buy design our engines will be living longer then yours. buy looking at your sig it seem you go thru a lot of vehicles and never put loads of miles to see how they hold up.. btw I would rather compress air then solvent


2006 CC 4x Lbz,

2012 Wildcat 344QB
Pullrite Superglide

Hannibal

Gas Station

Senior Member

Joined: 04/12/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/02/12 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never known anyone who wore an engine out gas or diesel. Not sure I see your point. I trade at 100k~ miles because the rest of the truck gets old. Not the engine. Rather compress air than solvent? WTF?

* This post was edited 07/02/12 11:36am by Hannibal *

jevanb

michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 07/20/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/02/12 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hannibal wrote:

Rather compress air than solvent? WTF?


do you not know how a diesel works?? air is compressed then fuel is added, air and fuel is mixed and then compressed then ignited in a gas eng. with the diesel their is no explosion in the cylinder, as the fuel is slower burning and combustion happens thru the entire power stroke, hence the extra TQ. that is one of the reason the engine last longer because less fuel is left on the cylinder walls to wash out, just think about it, as the gas eng is on the compression stroke fuel is left on the walls because it is left in the micro fissure, it also happen in a compression ignition engine but not to the extent, and compression rings do not tend to wear out as fast

Hannibal

Gas Station

Senior Member

Joined: 04/12/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/02/12 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes I know how a diesel works. Thanks for the education. I'll go far with this newfound knowledge.

Marty, where's the "rolly eyes"?

Sport45

Not far enough from Houston, TX

Senior Member

Joined: 09/24/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/02/12 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fuel "exploding" in a gas engine is called detonation and it is indeed a bad thing. That's why they are designed to avoid it. You wouldn't see very many 100,000+ mile gasoline engines if detonation was a common ocurrance. The power stroke is very similar in a gas and diesel engine. Expanding vapors from the combustion process push the piston down.


'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS.
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55.
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost


64thunderbolt

Az

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/03/12 12:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hannibal wrote:

I trade at 100k~ miles because the rest of the truck gets old. Not the engine.


Stop buying Dodge Rams.


Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" turbo back exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
08 Arctic Cat Prowler 700XTX

transamz9

Lawrenceburg Ky

Senior Member

Joined: 07/27/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/03/12 04:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

64thunderbolt wrote:

Hannibal wrote:

I trade at 100k~ miles because the rest of the truck gets old. Not the engine.


Stop buying Dodge Rams.


Here now! I don't have that problem with my Rams.


2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET/2008 Nitro Z9 Mecury 250 PRO XS

Hannibal

Gas Station

Senior Member

Joined: 04/12/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/03/12 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

64thunderbolt wrote:

Hannibal wrote:

I trade at 100k~ miles because the rest of the truck gets old. Not the engine.


Stop buying Dodge Rams.


I did. And I'll be trading my Ford at around the same time for the same reasons.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 432  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Diesel vs gas......................
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS