RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: Weekend Warrior weights.....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Weekend Warrior weights.....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
K2rider

Southern Cal

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/04 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those of you with Weekend Warriors and maybe more specifically, the SuperLights....how does your actual trailer weight compare to the "claimed" weights? I have the F150 SuperCrew and pretty much thought my limit was going to be the 21FK SuperLight. However, a friend went out and ordered the 23FS' model and said he'll be under his limits (he has the same truck).

I'm actually out the door right now to go lookat haulers and some Duramax diesels in Orange County.

My main problem is I'm really new to this stuff and all the WEIGHT issues really toss me for a loop. I need to sit down and figure out what it all really means. I always assumed that if your tow limit was XXX, you could tow up to XXX safely. I thought it was that simple....butthen I read all this axle weight, empty weight, toungue weight and I'm lost!!! I won't even mention the sway bar and brake controller issues that I know zip about either!!!

Thanks for any input....

"Get busy living or get busy dying".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

derwud

Pasadena, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/04 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What year is the truck.

I have an '04 Titan (without the tow package) and I have had a FK1900 and now have an FS2300. The one thing you need to look at is the GVWR of the trailer. I have not wieghed my trailer, but I will tell you that the FS2300 is a lot heavier then the FK1900 was.

2005 Nissan Titan CC SE 4x4, 2006 Weekend Warrior FS2300
2 Quads, 2 Motorcycle and a '06 Rhino
1 Patient Wife, 1 Crazy child, 1 sweet baby.
RIP Bubba and Toby, we love you.

jamman

Desert Tortoise Refuge…

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/04 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I have an '04 Titan (without the tow package) and I have had a FK1900 and now have an FS2300. The one thing you need to look at is the GVWR of the trailer. I have not wieghed my trailer, but I will tell you that the FS2300 is a lot heavier then the FK1900 was.

And from the look of that picture in you sig, it looks like that Titan is on a launch ramp for the moon..... I'll bet you get a lot of headlight flashes on the road.... I have no clue what the specs are on that truck or trailer, but I added air bags to my Super Duty and it definitely helped with leveling out my truck... just a thought.

DavidG

Jacksonville, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/04 12:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By the looks of that picture, derwud’s combo looks all wrong. Trailer nose down, truck nose up. Could need some hitch adjustment. Could need more truck. Could be a bad picture.

Obviously by the photo in my sig, I don’t have a toy hauler, but just looking at some of the specs on them makes me cringe! Dry, the tongue weights are enormous on the larger models, and that’s without the toys. It’s better with the toys, but what if I don’t want to take them all the time?

I would make sure your truck has the GVWR and rear axle GAWR capacity to handle whatever trailer you end up selecting. Try to get an actual weight reading and don’t rely on the published weights. When in doubt, use the GVWR of the trailer and 15% of that for tongue weight, maybe 20% for toy haulers when empty.

David and Laura G
Click here for my RV Tips
2003 Suburban K2500LT 4WD, 8.1L, 3.73
2008 Adirondack 31RK-DSL
Our blog

derwud

Pasadena, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/04 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

By the looks of that picture, derwud’s combo looks all wrong. Trailer nose down, truck nose up. Could need some hitch adjustment. Could need more truck. Could be a bad picture.

It was a hitch adjustment and it is now level and perfect.

TEAM LEADER

OCEANSIDE, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/04 02:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are looking at duramaxes, buy one or any other 3/4, 1 ton diesel. Then all you will have to worry about is where you can fit your 38 foot 5th wheel. If you buy a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel, you wont have to worry about how heavy anything is...to a certain point.
My 31'LE is heavy, but my truck pulls it fine and stops it fine. Im not sure if the actual weight is the same as the sticker weight.

03 Duramax Crewcab, 4x4, BullyDog Programmer, 4" Magnaflow exhaust, Air Lift air bags.
05 31'LE Weekend Warrior 5th Wheel
Watercraft: Kawi 750 and a Kawi 1200STXR
dirt: Crf 50, Cr125, Cr250, Suzuki Ozark, Yamaha Blaster,
Suzuki Samurai.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Weekend Warrior weights.....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: