RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Awning tiedowns vs screen rooms vs don't worry about it

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Awning tiedowns vs screen rooms vs don't worry about it

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Team Sparky

South Rim, Grand Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/05 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure this is the right spot but...

We're about to hit the road at the end of the month. First stop will be a work camp job til mid September. I've been reading a lot about awnings and the need to raise them at night and when you leave the camp site. Gosh, if this is where you Live, it seems like more work than it's worth.

We're thinking of getting an "add a room" to increase our living space and give the little dog more room to run/live. How do these work in the wind?! Do they help to protect the awning at all?

Second, are these screw in the ground awning tie-downs a good idea or just more snake oil?

We'd really like to be able to "set up house" at the site and now put awning/room up and down on a daily basis.

Your thoughts?

WTTCS

freedom , U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/05 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We leave our awning up 24/7, but we do have the nylon stap that crosses it and anchors into the ground. No prob so far, but I do suggest you get one of them or your insurance co will begin to not like you. Also make sure your awning is not , repeat , not level if it rains. You need to let one end sag lower so the water will run off. Course if it SNOWS, HMMMM, you are in the wrong campground, and possibly in the wrong state.

On edit, we have 30-40 mph winds daily where we are, and so far in 10 plus years, no prob.

1997 chev crew cab 454, 5 sp. 4.10

jmrkav

Livingston, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/05 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't use the patio rooms because they are bad in wind and too much trouble to put up. I've seen two awnings with patio rooms attached that hail storms make look like swiss cheese. You have two choices with an awning. Leave the awning out and tie it down. Eventually you will have it ripped off and it is not pretty. Use care and put it up when you leave or BEFORE serious weather hits.

firedude

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/05 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Konrad,

I had an enclosed Patio Room before and it held up great against the wind if setup and anchored properly however none of them should be left out during storms or high winds. The winds will eventually tear them up and apart IF strong enough. You might want to check with the folks at Williams and ask them about wind during the time you're supposed to be there.

It doesn't matter on the awnings whether you tie them down or not. The winds will get under them and rip them apart anway. The only thing that might be intact will be the tie downs in the ground LOL! IAs much wind as mucvh wind as we get here on the beach during Spring I don't even put my awning out at all. I've seen many awnings here at the Strand ripped off and dmaged becasue people went off for the day and didn't put their awning up. You just have to be aware of your weather. My patio room did well in winds up to about 25-30 mph even with all the flaps down and anchoired it got a little shakey. We had the room where it could be pit up in about 15-20 minutes and about the same taking it down. The worst part is if you wait until you feel the wind is too strong it's usually too late and you'll end up fighting it to put it up.

If the area where you're going isn't often subject to high winds then I'd aay you'll probably be ok. Keep any eye on the forecasts and prtojected winds and take the necessary precautions when that time arrives or actually just before.

One difference with patio room iof it's set up right and closed off to the wind then the wind doesn't readily get up uinder your awning with the lifting effect as without. Just my humble opinion.

Tony

SFBROWN

UPnorth

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/05 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I camp in the winter 2-5 months a year in Texas and AZ/NM. You absolutely can't leave the awning up at night or when you aren't sitting right there. Wind gusts out here will tear it right off. I have 4 of the el-cheapo rope/angle iron/stake tiedowns. They work great for mild wild or small gusts. Always use them if I can. You see many long-term people using that super expensive black sun/wind screen to enclose the patio. It does seem to make it possible to leave the awning up 24/7. Haven't tried it myself.
-Sam

Pushin40

Myrtle Beach, SC

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/05 11:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have found the screw in anchors to be of little use. The ground I travel on seems to be either too hard or too sandy.

I do use 12" metal spikes that looks like an oversize tent peg. I drive them in with a hammer or hatchet. I then use a flat nylon strap that goes over the length of my awning and connect it to these spikes, one on each end of the awning. On one spike I have a heavy duty metal spring that allows the awning to move a little.

I use this every time I put the awning out as you never know when a wind gust will come up.

Our screen room can be a real PITA when it comes to bad weather. It blows all over the place and it can be difficult to anchor it down even with small winds. I have had screen rooms since my class B but as I moved up in RV size, the awning got bigger and so did the screen rooms. The surface area is so large that even light winds can be a pain (ever try to hold a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood in the wind).

Once setup, I generally leave it up unless I know weather is coming. This means I do watch the Weather Channel or check the internet to see if winds are forecasted. In someplaces, like near the ocean, I don't bother using the awning at all.

On my to-do list is to add some sort of channel near the bottom of the screen room front and end panel so I can run a rope through which can be anchored to more spikes. I may have DW sew loops on the panels that the rope can go through. I also want to have DW sew velcro loops on the screen room ends so I can secure the end panels to the awning arms.

We like to sit out a lot and also have a dog with us. When the bugs are bad, the screen cuts them down quite a bit. It is very nice to have the dog out with us and not have her on her leash which gets tangled on our chairs and table.

firedude

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/05 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing to remember about the tie-downs is they work great for the outer part. They do nothing to prevent the awning from being ripped away fron the top where it attaches to the RV. Most awnings attach by sliding through a small channel to at the top. I have also seen the bolts at the top holding the awning assembly to the RV get completely pulled out due to high winds. It happenned to me! Wasn't pretty and a mess to fix. With that I don't put mine up anymore when higher winds are expected. I spent 3 hours one evening helping a camoper here get the awning off his roof and getting it packed away for the trip home. He was NOT a happy camper to say the least. It was only about a 30 or so mph wind with some gusts. You just have to be careful, use common sense and watch the wind is all. Once it starts blowing it becomes difficult to take them in sometimes.

Tony

firedude

On the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/05 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those deflappers (I use 4) worked great..........until........ the awning was ripped off from nwhere it attaches to the top of the trailer. I'm quite sure it heavily depends on wind direction, but after I did the repair I figured I'd play it safe from now on. I'm not one to retest the theory lol. I've seen several here in the campground during Spring that were anchored the front with tie-downs, used deflappers. I also hleped them gather their awning parts up for the trip home.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just what's happenned to me and others here. If it works for you that's great!

Tony

robinandbob

Rossville, GA

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/05 11:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did I miss it somewhere? I didn't see where anyone mentioned the use of deflappers for the awning. We're using 4 of them, 2 on each side. Our awning and room have been up almost a year, it was taken down once when 50 mile an hour winds were reported. Our neighbor on the end has just his awning up, anchored and using 4 deflappers, he's only put his up when he heard the same report of 50 mile an hour winds.

Just by having them out 24/7/365 it will cause more wear & tear on the fabric but if anchored properly they can take windy conditions.

S. Mid. TN
98 Fleetwood Discovery 36T
4 big dogs 2 cats, Silkies and Guineas
orchids & epis

RVN'S 4 US

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/05 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I take mine down if anything close to bad is known. After reading about the weaknesses near the top, I think I'll go to extra deflappers at the top to help there if something bad does sneak in. Separation probably more likely to start at the end than in the middle.

Always something new to learn here.

Plan for tomorrow. Live for today. Learn from yesterday.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Awning tiedowns vs screen rooms vs don't worry about it
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS