RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: best route through or around chicago.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> best route through or around chicago.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
land yacht 35

rapid city sd

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/05 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I need some advice. coming from the north on I 90 and going to elkheart indiana. need the best route through chicago or around chicago. I was through there once 10 years ago and I took I 90 and man that sucked. thanks

Tim Jenks

ssniper1000

Plainfield, IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/05 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drive from Joliet, IL to Hammond, Ind. several times per week (not your route). There is no good route through Chicago, but there are good times. Avoid Thursday, Friday and most importantly avoid rush hours. 3:30pm-6:30pm and 7:00am-9:00am (my experience). If you time it right it won't be that bad. If you decide to try I80 via rockford (39/51) then check out the website http://www.in.gov/dot/div/specialprojects/borman/

This site is for the borman expressway project which happens to be under construction for the next several years.

I'm sure others that drive your exact route will have more ideas.

Milt

Climax MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/05 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as I know that's the best route.
You'd be taking I 90/94 south and on the south side of city
get on Chicago skyway it goes right to IN tollroad which goes
east to Elkhart.
thy raised the toll on the skyway after the first of the year and I don't know what it is now.
Milt

avan

Naples, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/05 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, most everything is going to suck getting around Chicago but I think I'd take I39 south out of Rockford to I80 and then take I80 east. Not a great alternative but you probably won't hit the worst of traffic till you get to the I80/I294 split and it should start easing a bit east of the IN line. And of course you'll want to plan it so you're running counter to the rush hour traffic which will eliminate some of the cars running with you and the trucks.

bertturner

Near Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/05 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are coming from Rapid City, work your way down to I-80 far to the west of Chicago. There are many routes to do this. If you are coming from some other point to the north, don't keep it a secret.
Even with the construction on the Borman, it is usually better than it was a couple of years ago.

Albert

stickdog

29.820224, 81.94542

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/05 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a second for avan's route.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
04 HitchHiker DA LS 33.5 RLTG
09 F350 CC DRW 4X4
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

tcsmith

Centennial, Colorado, and Charlottesville, VA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/05 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, no route is great, but I-80 is better than some. We go from Colorado to Ohio on I-80 a couple times a year. Still no good route through Chicago, but if you watch out for rush hour(s) it's better than most.

Tracy & Jennifer Smith + 5 Boys (no room for a dog!)
1999 Dodge Ram Maxi-Wagon 3500 and 1999 8300 Trail-Lite TT

dancoppins

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/05 05:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you get to the Chicago Skyway...USE IT. You will eliminate the majority of the bad tie ups. It goes to the toll road.

AirForceRet

Mishawaka, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/05 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do the chicago trip a couple times a year with the travel trailer. I90 and the skyway is the shortest and often the less traveled of the many alternatives. The skyway is under new management so be prepared to pay a little more than you used to pay, but it's worth it as there always seems to be less traffic on the skyway (probably because it's not free).

And if you get caught in stop and go traffic, it's usually stop and go everywhere, so the "shortest" route often tends to be the fastest route too.

If you can make the journey after 7:00 pm or so, you will probably have a decent traffic flow, but don't expect too much, Chicago is busy all hours of the day and night!

If you need a place to stay near Elkhart, you may want to consider Eby Pines. There's a KOA just West of Elkhart if you want to be close to shopping malls, restaurants, etc.

Good luck...we'll be making our next trip through Chicago in June (yippee)!

Roger
Air Force Retired
Life Member - Good Sam Club
2001 F250 SD 4x4/V10
2000 Starcraft 24RK TT
2007 HD FXSTD

AirForceRet

Mishawaka, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/14/05 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oh yeah...and if you decide to skirt west of chicago, then across 80...be prepared to sit in stop and go traffic there too! there is quite the bottleneck of traffic at 80/90/94/65 south of lake michigan that is often times at a complete standstill (literally).

late night travel is beneficial going this way too! although this route often times isn't too bad midday.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> best route through or around chicago.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS