Thanks for the photos. Looks good without the rack. Half of one side of mine is ripped off. I might remove the rest, rather than replacing it like I planned. Where are your battery banks located?
Nice job all around!
2002 Dodge 3500 CTD/DRW/
2000 Northern Lite 10-2000cd
Interesting mods, do you have a diagram of the charging system ? I would like the same setup.
Y2K Silverado 1/2 ton...Whipple Supercharger,SuperSprings Airlifts (I know...)
97 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS ,FastGuns, 2 x 75w Solar
77 Chevy 1 Ton C30 (I love this truck)
2000 Chinook concourse (uncomfortable , badly designed rv ,must get rid of it :-( )
The one bank of two batteries, is located as the factory provided, and the other is only one battery inside the generator compartment. If you look real close at the gen door you'll see that I added louvered vents so the battery is vented. The louveres also keep water out, but, serve another function. They allow the turbo blower mounted in the basement to get my inflatable boating gear dried out.
Neverhappy, if your serious about the diagram, I will have to work at it a bit. Please show intent by sending me a pm and I'll get to work if you wish.
Peace and Good will to all,
don't forget country roads,
try travel em' all.
That step set-up is really nice. I rarely use my basement area, so something like that would be perfect for me. Did you do this work yourself or did you have an RV dealer do the modificaions ? I wonder too, do RV dealers even do this type of work ? Thanks.
Thanks for the compliments. I did all the work myself because I can spend yhe time to enjoy and do it well. I have some marine boatworks experience also.
About the wiring up of my 12 volt set-up; It would be difficult for me to see the 12 side of your electrical panel, but basically the battery charger has three terminals to charge seperate banks, so in my case there are two wires, one going to each bank. On these charging wires, I have added a switch to in order to decide which bank to charge. Additionally, I did not like charging batteries that were still on, creating a load and longer charge times, so when we were away, there was no need to have the batteries being drawn down from alarm, detector, and clock /light, ,while out hiking all day. The one-two-both switch selects which bank to use, that goes to the 12 volt side of your electrical panel. I used marine grade wire since its what the Northern LIte manufacturer used. I did go bigger guage wires with adhesive type shrink tube to all crimped terminals. All terminals are less resistive marine terminals.. I used mostly number 8 wire.
A little side note; marine wire has a little bigger guage since it is AWG rather than standard. Also higher grade copper that is tinned. A llitle more money but, a good return in the long run.
Actually I could have attached my steps permanently by just using the original factory bracket. It's very similar to the custom bracket that I made for it, only its' made out out thick extruded Aluminum that won't rust. The original bracket was painted steel. I took that off and by placing my head inside the basement, I could see that the factory had plywood backing with thru bolts going inside.
If you want to do something like this, I still have the original bracket for free, but, you'll have to add a wood or metal backing plate, and thru bolt it.
Mine wasn't caulked properly, so while looking up over the basement access door. I noticed the water wicking inside. You just need to caulk the thru bolts and bracket between all mating surfaces, and it will not leak. It also adds strength and additional support.
Thanks. That's exactly what I was thinking. This is going to be a fall project for me. I really like what you did. I leave next Monday for a month of camping in the TC and climbing in the mountains of Colorado. Thanks for the help.
Zag68, I forgot to mention about the plumbing vent clamshell covers. About the probability of those acting like a scoop and sending sewer smell inside the camper in windy conditions; they were not a problem at all. I was faceing with those scoops right into a strong enough wind, coming from the rear, that the waterheater had a hard tme thaying lit. I was not a problem at all. Now branches aren't either.