Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Holiday Rambler AlumaLite - nice unit?

Posted By: cabingirlk on 08/25/06 08:42am

Thinking of purchasing the 2007, 8230 model - 24' - wondering if anyone has an alumalite and what they think of the quality or if there is a similar model by a different manufaturer we should take a peek at. thanks for the help

Posted By: dbbls on 08/25/06 09:45am

I have had two different Aluma Lite 5th wheels and they are excellent units. I didn't have any problems with either. Wish I had bought another instead of what I did.

2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

Posted By: DSR on 08/25/06 11:28am

My Brother-in-Law has owned an Alumiscape for several years. He has had some plumbing problems but that's about it.

2500HD D/A CC 4X4
FR TT

Posted By: Toyz for us on 08/25/06 02:51pm

We have a Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite been towing it around the U.S.A. fifteen years this month.Never had a real problem with it replace a few sets of tires,
brakes,and a water faucet in bath sink.
To answer your other question,we have ben looking at the McKenzie that is made by same company.

ALL GAVE SOME
SOME GAVE ALL

WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!!!!
Don't forget the ones that gave their all
so our FLAG can stand so tall
2005 Chevy 2500 HD LT crew cab short bed D/A
1991 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite XL 30 foot

Posted By: KLO on 08/25/06 06:43pm

We have a 1984 HR Alumi-Lite and it is still going strong! We are the forth owner of it and aside from a few minor problems due to it's age it's in almost excellent condition. We are in the process of re-doing the interior to up-grade it, just decorative tho. We love it and plan on keeping it for as long as we are RV'ing!

Posted By: Keith99RS on 08/25/06 06:51pm

In-Laws had a 1999 HR Alumalite 5th wheel they lived in for almost 2 years 4 season. Nothing but praise for it. Only reason they sold it was to downsize to a Airstream Bambi that suited their camping style better than a 5th wheel.

Smoke 05 Titan SE CC 4X4
K&N panel filter
PRG 2.5" Leveling kit
Bilstein front,Icon rear shocks
Powerstop slotted rotors
18" Wrangler AT/S LT's

2009 Fleetwood Prowler 2702BS
Primus Brake Controller
Reese DC w/ 1,000lb/10,000lb WD

Posted By: bluemnm on 09/03/06 10:07pm

Capt Joe wrote:

We have a '98 model Aluma-Lite that we feel is the among the best built travel trailers built. Been one of the very best investments we have ever made.
Now that we have a couple of grandsons that love to go in Gramma and Grampa's camper, we do need something just a bit larger than the 25' we have now and really want a slide too. Have been looking for quite a while now...went to a local RV show here in Panama City yesterday and didn't see a single travel trailer there that I would have traded even-up for my '98 model HR.
That said, I had heard that HR was re-introducing the Aluma-Lite model with the 2007's after discontinuing it about 2002. I have seen a couple of the new models of the Aluma-Lite and was VERY disappointed at what I saw. They appear to be targeting the new one at the light weight market and have severely, IMHO, cheapened the trailer from its former quality. I'm sure there is a market for the line but not with me.
Of course, as I have said, this is my own opinion of the new line and everybodies needs vary.
I'm just either going to keep looking for a good clean 28, 29 or 30 foot Aluma-Lite from about 1998 to 2001 or might decide, if I find a VERY good deal, try a Class A for the grandson camping.
Good Luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Capt Joe I think you're right in saying those were one of the best years. As for the disappointment, I sorta agree. But before I looked at the trailer, I knew it was HR new entry level TT. As rambler100 said, it is a TT made by R-Vision (HR aquired). What is disappointing is I can't understand why they are using a well known HR unit name on it? Aluma Lite was once very well made unit, now they're placing it on a brand new, entry level unit. It's not even comparable to the older units. Many people are going to be disappointed to find out it is very different model. It should have been given a new name. But the TT in itself, is fairly nice. Considering how light it is, a wide range of vehicles can tow this TT. I'm sure there is a market for it out there.

Alumascape 32SKD
International "Suburban" Eagle
HRRVC Member
Chapter 1
Chapter 12
Chapter 452
Chapter 499 President East Coast Pullers
Pullers Forum
HR Club: Region I
HR Forum Region One
HRRVC Club

Posted By: sisodals on 10/11/06 07:17am

Since it is so easy to complain about a vendor, let me here praise one instead.

I received a call yesterday from "Seth" at Monaco/Holiday Rambler, he was exceptionally informative and helpful in assisting me in finding my water pump in the 1990 Aluma-Lite 5th wheel I recently purchased. I am happy to report that I found the pump and although it did not work initially, I did get it to work after discovering that a wire had come unclipped from the switch located in the bathroom. So once again an item in the coach which did not work now functions after finding the proper plug and plugging it in, I sure wish I could track down how these things all got disconnected but I suspect that will be too hard.

Helen & Ray Siso
sisodals@bellatlantic.net

Bounder 38N
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Brake Buddy

Rally's attended: 16 (Four Bounder, 5 FMCA and 7 Samborees)

Posted By: sisodals on 10/10/06 04:54am

Just purchased a 1990 Aluma-Lite 29WB and so far it is just wonderful. We found several things not working and each one has been a matter of something not plugged in. Like the Refrigerator not working on AC found plug and it now works. The water heater not lighting, found two wires disconnected and it now works. Now we are in a desperate search for the water pump since it is not working, try as I might I have not been able to find it, no readily apparent comparement which ended up being a water pump compartment, so I need help. The city water connection works and I am able to fill the water tank but it does not work, it does not even give indication of having power by lighting the light on the panel. I have checked all the fuses which I have found and that does not seem to be the issue. So as I say help is desperately needed.

Posted By: jshul on 08/25/06 06:52pm

The 2007 Alumalites are an entirely different trailer than those described above..... The "old" alumalite evolved into the current Presidential and Alumascape in 2002. The only similarity in is the name and the Holiday Rambler roots. Compare the construction features of the new alumalite with those of the alumascape or presidential....some are quite different.

2011 Carriage Cameo 34sb3
2005 GMC Sierra Duramax/Allison
Crew Cab/4x4

Posted By: rambler100 on 08/25/06 09:19pm

The Alumalite your talking about is made by R-Vision a Monaco Subsidiary. I saw them and they looked pretty good, I'm glad to see Holiday get back to the light weight market. Let me know how things go.
Thanks

National Director Region One - NY, MA, ME, NH, CT, VT, RI, Provinces of Ontario, Quebec, NB, NS, PEI
Holiday Rambler RV Club
2002 36'SKT Holiday Rambler Presidential FW
2005 Dodge SLT Quad Cab 3500 DRW-Cummins 325HP,
65gal Aux. Tank/toolbox combo,

Posted By: Vroadracer on 08/26/06 10:42am

I bought a 1987 Aluma Lite XL and kept it for 17 years and it was great. Last year I bought a 1996 Aluma Lite Custom and it is great also with more room and more extras. The Aluma Lite name was discontinued for several years so I cannot speak for the 2007 as I have not seen one of those. The quality and workmanship was great in my 87 and my 96 models.
Vroadracer

Posted By: Capt Joe on 08/26/06 04:29pm

We have a '98 model Aluma-Lite that we feel is the among the best built travel trailers built. Been one of the very best investments we have ever made.
Now that we have a couple of grandsons that love to go in Gramma and Grampa's camper, we do need something just a bit larger than the 25' we have now and really want a slide too. Have been looking for quite a while now...went to a local RV show here in Panama City yesterday and didn't see a single travel trailer there that I would have traded even-up for my '98 model HR.
That said, I had heard that HR was re-introducing the Aluma-Lite model with the 2007's after discontinuing it about 2002. I have seen a couple of the new models of the Aluma-Lite and was VERY disappointed at what I saw. They appear to be targeting the new one at the light weight market and have severely, IMHO, cheapened the trailer from its former quality. I'm sure there is a market for the line but not with me.
Of course, as I have said, this is my own opinion of the new line and everybodies needs vary.
I'm just either going to keep looking for a good clean 28, 29 or 30 foot Aluma-Lite from about 1998 to 2001 or might decide, if I find a VERY good deal, try a Class A for the grandson camping.
Good Luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Capt Joe
2004 Winnebago Brave 32V Workhorse
2006 Saturn Vue V6, Blue Ox Towing

Print  |  Close