RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing over 10,200lbs in BC read this...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Towing over 10,200lbs in BC read this...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
worb

Edmonton, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/06 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://icbc.com/licensing/pdf/licensing_for_recreational_vehicles_pi270.pdf

ex L'il Bigfoot
ex '03 Westwind WT205 TT
ex '05 Jayco 29FBS
'07 Tundra Crewmax (ex F250 diesel)

Gruffy

monominto mb ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/06 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rather silly isn't it??? I can drive a 20,000 pound Class A or Class C with a 4,000 pound car in tow.... with my regular licence... but need an upgrade to use my 3/4 ton with a 12,000 pound 5er.....

Bearman

Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/06 07:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, It is rather silly. I do belive anybody driving a larger RV, be it a motorhome or large trailer should have to upgrade license. There are people out there driving extreamly large RV's that really shoulden't be. I drive a very large one but I have a CDL with over 2,000,000 miles under my belt. There are people out there driving the same type of rigs that have never driven anything larger than a Toyota, and those are the ones that are dangerous. I also think this will apply to BC resedence only.

* This post was edited 12/18/06 07:59pm by Bearman *

2000 Volvo 660 425hp 1550tq
2006 Canadian Sport 385 RLTS triple slide, triple axle
5500 watt Onan genny
03 700 Polaris Sportsman
98 300 Polaris Explorer 4X4
94 Jeep YJ "TOAD"

MegaDodge

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/06 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many RV accidents do you hear about.?? Not too many. And when one does happen it's big news. When a transport big rig accident happens....it's just another accident...there are so many of them, who notices. Why?? The big reason is fatigue...too many hours, too many miles.

RVer's aren't driving to make a living, they learn to pace themselves....there are exceptions, some think they have to get where they're going in one day...and some pay the price for it. Most RVer's are older, more mature, more sensible.

I drove a Fire Truck full time in a big Canadian City for twenty-two years with no accidents....thousands of EMERGENCY responses....that doesn't mean I was the best driver there is...any more than a semi driver with two million miles, under his belt. Most big rig drivers are pretty good....there's lots of bad ones out there.

RV drivers are good, careful drivers for the most part. Some are marginal, as are some big rig drivers. As they gain experience they will get better, as do big rig drivers. Making them upgrade to a more expensive license will not make them better drivers....it means they can pass a test...and help the Motor Vehicle Division generate revenue.

There is no easy way to get good at driving a big RV rig, or a commrcial transport, but to get out there and do it. The more experience you acquire, the more proficient you will be.

Painting all drivers with the same brush doesn't work.....bad drivers operating big rigs, whether commercial or RVs, are the excepton, not the rule.

MegaDodge
Dodge CTD 1 ton. 5 speed.
2003 Everest 323P 5th wheel 13000 pounds ready to roll. .

"An honest man is the guy who does the right thing when nobody's looking"

garyhaupt

Back living in Kitimat..northern BC.

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/06 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I may have misread the ICBC document, but it appears to clearly state that an operator can apply for an exemption for the towed vehicle as long as it doesn't have air brakes, WITHOUT a DL upgrade.

Last section, first column. Then again....if I am wrong, let me know.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

WBChapman

Kitchener

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/06 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are similar laws in Ontario. Many don't check their "G" license but if you do on the back it tells you clearly that you may drive a combination rig up to 11000kg but only 4600 kg's can be trailer/towed vehicle. That means a 5'er over 10140lbs requires an "A" license. You will also have to upgrade your tow vehicle weight rating to accomodate the GCW! The MOT green cars are the ones who will stop you and make you go to a scale.

Retired & lovin it
F-350 & 2011 Brookstone 3455SA

Bearman

Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/06 08:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MegaDodge wrote:

How many RV accidents do you hear about.?? Not too many. And when one does happen it's big news. When a transport big rig accident happens....it's just another accident...there are so many of them, who notices. Why?? The big reason is fatigue...too many hours, too many miles.

RVer's aren't driving to make a living, they learn to pace themselves....there are exceptions, some think they have to get where they're going in one day...and some pay the price for it. Most RVer's are older, more mature, more sensible.

I drove a Fire Truck full time in a big Canadian City for twenty-two years with no accidents....thousands of EMERGENCY responses....that doesn't mean I was the best driver there is...any more than a semi driver with two million miles, under his belt. Most big rig drivers are pretty good....there's lots of bad ones out there.

RV drivers are good, careful drivers for the most part. Some are marginal, as are some big rig drivers. As they gain experience they will get better, as do big rig drivers. Making them upgrade to a more expensive license will not make them better drivers....it means they can pass a test...and help the Motor Vehicle Division generate revenue.

There is no easy way to get good at driving a big RV rig, or a commrcial transport, but to get out there and do it. The more experience you acquire, the more proficient you will be.

Painting all drivers with the same brush doesn't work.....bad drivers operating big rigs, whether commercial or RVs, are the excepton, not the rule.

I totally agree. The ones that scare me are the ones that retire, and decide they are going RV'ing. They have never driven anyting other than their commuter vehical and go out and buy a 40 ft DP or a 40 ft fth wheel and a 1 ton to pull it and hit the highway with no experiance at all. An upgraded licence may not be the answer, but there should as a minimum be some kind of training involved. I quit driving truck over 10years ago, when I riged up my truck and trailer it was still nerve wracking getting back into the swing of driving it. Bythe way, people can go and buy a truck like mine, re-register it as a motor home with a few modifications, and drive it with a class 5. Do you think that is right? There are a lot more out there than you would think. I weigh in at a little over 40,000lbs Click on the pics below to look at my rig.

Cheers
Bear

Gruffy

monominto mb ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/06 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The bureaucrats seem to have decided a class 5 bumper hitch is the max you should tow. That means I can tow a 33 foot trailer on the bumper hitch and be 33 + 24 = 57 feet long... but if I tow a 36 foot fiver ..... 30 + 22 = 52 feet long.... because it weighs a couple of thousand more it's more difficult to tow and I need more training.....

BULL....

Anyone who has towed a regular trailer and switched to a 5er knows it's much easier to handle on the road....

Time to write your local Minister of Highways..... it's all bunk....

MegaDodge

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/06 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WPChapman....

I believe you are correct. I looked into this a while ago and got this answer. On a pickup and a fifth wheel, you have two weights. The carried weight....the weight that is loaded ON the truck, which is the pin weight. AND the towed weight...which is the weight that sits on the four trailer wheels.

The carried weight involves the GVW and the GAWR, because it loads the truck.

The towed weight does not sit or load the truck but affects the GCVWR.

So if this is true, you can tow a trailer which weighs 10200 plus the weight of the pin, as long as that weight does not....1)overload the truck's axles.2)exceed the GVW rating of the truck 3) does not exceed the GCVW rating.

When you start looking at modern fifth wheels and their weights, you soon realize that the fifth wheels that can be pulled with anything less than a one ton, are decreasing. Pin weights are getting VERY heavy and beyond the GVW of most three quarter tons.

H & R

Winnipeg

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/06 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the same law in Manitoba. At 10,000+ pounds GVW on a trailer you need to upgrade drivers from Class 5 to Class 3. I found out about this from RV salesman. Nice guy. At a different dealer they did not mention this to me. This became part of my decision making. I own a trailer with a GVW of 9,960 pounds. I just did not want to go through all the hassles of medicals and retests. I did get the manual and study it. Not really that much in it I was not aware of.

On edit: garyhaupt - There is no exemption. You have 3 alternatives one of which is an RV endorsement but as you read on the requirements of a retest and medical is still there. By the way medicals have to be done on an ongoing basis with frequency tied to age. I believe there are also annual safties required for the trailer and truck. Did you also know that if you fail the class 3 test you also may lose your class 5. Bummer but you could be without a drivers licence altogether until you can pass the class 3.

* This post was edited 12/18/06 08:52pm by H & R *

Harold & Regina & 1 choc lab
2003 Dodge 2500 4 X 4 Crew Cab Diesel short box
2005 Keystone/Springdale 31 Ft 5'er 280 FWIKL-GL

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Towing over 10,200lbs in BC read this...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS