|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Extended Valve Stems

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
revump

Deer Park, WA or Las Vegas, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/07 09:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do extended valve stems cost and how much to install them on my 2004 Allegro Open Road? The wheels are 19.5.

Bob

jdcone

Riverside, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/07 09:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They're $55.00 @ Camping World. Install? Who knows? I wouldn't let them do it though. I'd take them to a tire shop first.

Owners of Bob the Wonder Dog, and a bunch of other useless stuff.
1999 22' Tioga class C

Herewego

Florida State Seminole Fans

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/07 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why wouldn't you put them on?

2004 Coachmen Aurora on a FORD V-10 Chassis
2004 Jeep Liberty
Don't take your organs to Heaven. Heaven knows we need them here! Dave has a dog named Muffy and Mike owns a Cockapoo!

MeanderMan

Fulltiming Somewhere

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/07 09:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the dealer install the braided stainless stems at a cost of $110 (parts and labor). You will read a number of pro and cons about the safety of the braided (flexible) extenders; but in my case, after over 1 and 1/2 years of full-time travel I haven't had a significant loss of pressure or any problem whatsoever. The fact that they make checking the tire pressure so much easier is worth the expense. I'd be OK with Camping World or doing it myself. It's not rocket science.

Happily Fulltiming Somewhere
2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
2013 Honda CRV
Our RV Blog

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/07 10:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure that you have steel valve stems - not rubber stems. The extenders will pull the rubber ones out of the rims.

Also you can take the whole RV to a tire shop. Ask about long valve stems. They are only about $12 each. It might require re-balancing the tire (not a bad idea anyway) so figure about $12 - $25 to have the extended valve stems installed. Then you just check the tire pressure the regular way.

The stems are about 7" long for the inner rear wheel and 4" long with a 180 degree bend in the outer rear rim. Typically the front rim it is not to difficult to check the tire pressure without a longer stem.

I have found that valve extenders leak. They make a ZIP - Zero Inflation Pressure brand. It uses a steel rod within the extender to push down the tire valve stem only while you are checking the tire pressure, so there is 0 PSI within the extender braided steel line. This type seems to work best, but still lost air pressure on my motorhome.

Fred.

revump

Deer Park, WA or Las Vegas, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/07 10:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in Las Vegas and have had a hard time finding someone to install these. Even the local Firestone folks wanted to install the braded kind. The one truck tire store said to put forth the effort to check the air without them. I can't seem to do that.

Golden_HVAC wrote:

Make sure that you have steel valve stems - not rubber stems. The extenders will pull the rubber ones out of the rims.

Also you can take the whole RV to a tire shop. Ask about long valve stems. They are only about $12 each. It might require re-balancing the tire (not a bad idea anyway) so figure about $12 - $25 to have the extended valve stems installed. Then you just check the tire pressure the regular way.

The stems are about 7" long for the inner rear wheel and 4" long with a 180 degree bend in the outer rear rim. Typically the front rim it is not to difficult to check the tire pressure without a longer stem.

I have found that valve extenders leak. They make a ZIP - Zero Inflation Pressure brand. It uses a steel rod within the extender to push down the tire valve stem only while you are checking the tire pressure, so there is 0 PSI within the extender braided steel line. This type seems to work best, but still lost air pressure on my motorhome.

Fred.

Jumbo One

Seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/07 01:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Les Schwab Tires just did mine for a grand total of $50. I had steel braided extensions previously and one side leaked constantly.
I consider that a bargain since the technician spent the best part of two hours on the job.

Now I have steel valve stems all around, with tube type steel extensions for the inner duals...

Takereasy

South Texas near Victoria

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/07 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's easy to check mine and easy to fill mine, once I can get the little caps off. My hand it too big to fit in that small hole. Once done, it looks like had an arm wrestling contest with a garbage disposal. Ouch ! Oh, of course, I don't have extensions.

Visit our site
Richard & Jodi (Gone but not forgotten 7-11-54 to 7-14-2008)
98 Tiffin Allegro Bay 34' w/Slide
01 Ford Ranger 5 speed - US Gear Brake
00 HD Custom E-Glide

My Last RV Rebuild

Roger in VERMONT

Rutland, Vt. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/07 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We previously had regular stainless braided extenders. I ended up removing them because they kept leaking. Then I found Zip Airless Valve Extenders. They are moe expensive but as Golden HVAC said and the tire will not deflate even if the extension is cut. To me these safety valves are well worth the extra money.

2001 41' Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Wrangler
Weekenders and Loving it!

Arrow

Calgary, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/07 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had extensions that leaked so I got the Dually Valve Kit from Borg Tire supply and now checking the pressure is easy.Dually Valves

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Extended Valve Stems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS