|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Heartland RV problems

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
bobday55

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/07 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an '06 Heartland Landmark 5th wheel and have had several major problems. Both axles had to be replaced with all 4 tires. The best the axle shop could determine is there is too much weight for just the 2 axles. It leans to the side quite significantly and can't get that resolved and am sure it will be wearing out the tires soon, again. Another problem, the fresh water tank fell out and the support was laying on the rear axle. The bottom of the rig now looks terrible. The facility that was doing the repairs had another Heartland that had the same problem with the water tank support being on the axle. A third acquaintance in town with a Heartland had the same thing happen while driving on a trip this summer. Both of these other RVs were '06 models but an older unit shouldn't have been that bad either. I see some other water tank problems with Heartland being posted to this site, too. It seems to me that Heartland should be required to have a recall to resolve this problem. If anyone else has this problem, they should report it to some kind of safety administration. I have filed a complaint since I think the tank falling out is a safety problem.

FlashG

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/07 04:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am close to deciding on a Heartland. These negative posts have me worried!

2012 Ford F350 Lariat Diesel Crew 4X4
Monaco Knight 38pst
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Dinghy

jpmorgan37

Rapid City, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/07 09:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob Day;

Where are you and what shop are you in? I would like to know how they figured that there weren't enough axles to carry the weight. Have you contacted Heartland Customer service about these problems? Also, what model Landmark do you have? You say you filed a complaint, who with? Since I have an 06 Landmark and have pulled it all over this country for the past two years, I'd really like to know these things.

John

2005 Ford F-550 PSD, Utility Bodywerks bed, Link UltraRide,
2006 Landmark Grand Canyon
Bride and co-pilot for 31 years, Sue
Golden Retriever, Brandy
Magellan 760
Fulltiming and Loving it

grizzlygiant

Coeur d'Alene, North Idaho, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/07 09:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FlashG wrote:

I am close to deciding on a Heartland. These negative posts have me worried!

Go to HEARTLAND FORUMand you can follow hundreds/thousands of satisfied Heartland owners discuss the few problems they have and the solutions.

North Idaho
2008 Heartland Big Horn 3400RL fifth wheel
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.9 Cummins

Grandseahawk

San Buenaventura, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/07 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh jeez...another "bash Heartland" post. A few days ago it was Forest River and last week it was Weekend Warrior. I recall seeing a bash Jayco post maybe a month ago.

I tend to take these with a big grain, more like clump, of salt, because it's usually a new member. And, yes, we were all new members at one time. But when the first few posts have to do with telling how terrible a particular brand is, it brings up a red flag for me.

Yes, we all know Lippert has had some frame problems and so and so maybe had some axle problems. But, common sense and just plain decency go a long way in dealing with any manufacturer.

I have ordered and Cyclone 4012. Did I consider posts like this...absolutely, yet with not too much credibility. But, the bashing that individuals did on Forest river did not sway me from that brand either, nor did it from my first RV, a Fleetwood. All of my RVs had issues, but I found that handling those issues with maturity and courtesy while not acting like a child went a long way. And, ultimately I was very satisfied. I'd like to think I have enough common sense to make up my own mind and certainly know when an emotional OP like this comes around.

bobday55, I hope you somehow become happy and get satisfaction. Good Luck to you...

Rock On...

jimtoo

Perfectly Great!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/07 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a Heartland Bighorn owner and very happy with our unit. I know that there has been some problems with freshwater tank sagging, but not falling out. Also I believe that your unit has 7000# axles and think it would be hard to overload the axles with a gross weight of about 16000#, unless you have added a lot of stuff to the rear and not putting about 20% of the weight on the pin.

If your dealer has not been able to correct your problems, then I would recommend that you contact Heartland Customer Service direct and explain your problems in a nice way and ask for their help. Customer serviced is 1-877-262-8032 or 1-574-262-8030.

Heartland is known for taking care of their customers.

Join us on the Heartland Owners Forum.

Happy Camping
Drive Safe
Jim & Bette
Kerrville Sweetheart XII Rally
George West Storyfest, 1st Sat of Nov.

04 GMC 3500, CC,Dually,Duramax,Allison
CB Radio, MaxBrake, Turboliner, Ride Rites
09 Bighorn by Heartland, 3670RL, Trailair Pinbox, Equaflex.

jmramiller

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/07 10:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grandseahawk makes a good point. It never ceases to amaze me how everytime there is a Heartland bash thread the OP is a new member. This should tell you something. I have little doubt that 90% of these threads come from the same poster creating new user names because he has a grudge against Heartland.

I for one am very pleased with my Heartland product. BTW, I am not a new member with 2 posts.

2006 2500HD CC SB 4X4 Duramax/Allison
Prodigy/16K Reese/265E Tires/Bilstein Shocks
RM Active Suspension/RDS 60gal Toolbox combo

2008 Big Country 3490BHS by Heartland

CHV_FRK

Black Jack, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/07 05:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m not sure that there is a safety agency you can report it too. I would be different if someone could ride in it. I would call your state DMV offices and I’m sure they would have a better idea if you really have this concern. As others have said, you first avenue should be to contact the manufacturer. I’m sure Heartland will do something for you, if not take care of your entire problem. You wouldn’t be the first to have a mildly incompetent dealer. When it comes to axle issues, sometimes taking it to a regular dealer is like peeing into the wind. With your tank, I have seen a couple posts around where some have added extra support around and through the center of they’re tanks to help with support. Maybe search around for a few of those as well. Good luck.

As far as the rest of you, I don't see where this is a "BASHING" post. To me it sounds like the guy has two legitimate problems. So what if he's a new member, so am I even though I have “more than 2 posts”. What kind of stuff is that???? Maybe, just maybe, he's been turned to a new avenue due to the fact that he's having these issues. I see only one person who had the same model line who could speak to the quality issues. You have a Big Country which could be made a different facility, or at the very least is a better engineered product. The issues with some of the Forest Rivers are justified as well. Unless you see a post bashing the Big Countrys, maybe you could keep your comments to giving a helpful answer to a question or talking about your experience with Heartlands warranty follow through. Keep it mildly on topic, if it’s not a real issue it will die off.

* This post was edited 12/25/07 08:07pm by an administrator/moderator *

Dana and Natalie

2008 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT DRW CC LB 4x4
-PPE Programmer, MRBP Exhaust, Diesel Manor Triple Gauge Pack, FS2500, 60 Aux Tank/Toolbox, Line-X, Full Tint, Curt 20K Hitch

2008 Jayco Designer Fifth Wheel
35RLSA 38'9, 13,500lbs. Loaded.

Catrider1

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/07 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to agree with the 2nd para from CHV FRK. Why do we have to accuse a new person of "Bashing" when they have problems. We all have problems and we were all new at some time. When you spend thousands of dollars and get a piece of junk or no service you tend to get vocal.

* This post was edited 12/25/07 08:08pm by an administrator/moderator *

jpmorgan37

Rapid City, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/07 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, Bobday55 is a new member only by his number of posts. He joined the forum 07/06/2006.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Heartland RV problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS