|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Musty smelly trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
MOPPY

SC

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/08 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, for us the Katrina saga is over. We sent our 40 ft Pullman 5th Wheel to La. for my 76 year old Mom to live in after Katrina and just got it back. After taking such good care of it, ourselves, and Mom did also, here is the problem. Now it smells like Louisiana Katrina trailers on the inside. I can't get the musty smell out. It is spotless clean, but I can't get that musty smell out. Can someone help me. I don't know if mold got underneath it, though I don't see any, or what. The trailer didn't get wet--it went down after the storm, but it sure smells bad. This is a luxury 5th wheel and I can't show it to someone smelling like this. Help, please? DEB

skipper

Louisville KY USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/08 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MOPPY wrote:

Well, for us the Katrina saga is over. We sent our 40 ft Pullman 5th Wheel to La. for my 76 year old Mom to live in after Katrina and just got it back. After taking such good care of it, ourselves, and Mom did also, here is the problem. Now it smells like Louisiana Katrina trailers on the inside. I can't get the musty smell out. It is spotless clean, but I can't get that musty smell out. Can someone help me. I don't know if mold got underneath it, though I don't see any, or what. The trailer didn't get wet--it went down after the storm, but it sure smells bad. This is a luxury 5th wheel and I can't show it to someone smelling like this. Help, please? DEB
Seems like it has a Water Leak some ware .Did you try filling the water tank ,turning all taps off including the toilet, then turning on the water pump waiting and listen for the pump to come on indicating a loss of pressure (leak) . It make take a inspection of the under side of the trailer to include all plumbing and tanks ,all insulation ,Could water entered from the wheels in transport.? careful inspection of the wheel wells is needed. Inspection of the over hang to include Roof ,any ladders ,rails awning attachments ,TV antenna ,vents ,A/c and any other roof projections .Mold under counters ,in walls ,overhang ,In closets ,storage compartments . Check the fridge door and seal Inside of the box and outside access compartment ,check the fill line to the water tank ,also the city water supply side .Air heat light will work wonders to remove smell ,but if its mold causing the smell it must be killed and removed and that a job. I hope you find the cause of the smell LOL Skipper entry level over fifty years.

99 DCTD 3500 5spd quad line-x Pac-brake. boost,egt,fuel gauges /26ft 95 American star 5thwheel w/1slide

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/08 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that the high humidity in La. has a lot to do with it. There is so much moisture in the air along with living full time in the trailer, cooking, showering, doing dishes, ect, adding more moisture, that the moisture just condenses all over the inside and never has a chance to dry out, and then MOLD grows. That is your MUSTY smell. How do you get rid of it? The only way is to get rid of the mold. But how do you find all of the mold? 64 thousand dollar question. I would google MOLD REMOVAL and see what comes up. There has to be experts out there that know the answer. As a side note, we stayed in New Orleans once in a motel and I stepped out of bed, barefooted, and the floor was real damp and the manager said, that is the way it is with the high humidity. I have never been back. Good luck in finding a solution

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

slmayor

shasta lake ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/08 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you cannot find a water leak, call a professional cleaning service. You will need to shampoo all soft surfaces in the rig, carpet, couches, etc. You would be surprised how they can hold odor. Companies like ServPro deal with these types of issues all the time. They have ozone machines they can leave inside for a few days and they will get rid of any smell. Years ago, we inadvertently left a gallon of milk in the car in the summer. Yep, it exploded. Was really nasty. With cleaning, then the ozone machine for a couple days, totally got rid of it. If your trailer doesn't have vent covers, you might add some and leave the vents open to air. We leave ours open all the time, even a little when we're in it in the winter. It cuts down on condensation and stale odors. Hope this was helpful and good luck!

swebber

Bluemont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/08 09:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were once told by a home inspector, while looking over a house for us, that if you used open containers of ground coffee it would rid the house of the musty odor.....not sure that I would make coffee with the stuff afterwards though

Steve Webber
2013 RAM 3500 Dually, 6.7 Cummins and all the bells and whistles
2009 Jayco Eagle 324BHDS "CramalotInn III",Reese DCHP, Atwood 3500, BAL Deluxe Chocks, Weber Baby Q & Q200, Champion 2000W Inverter & 4000W gennie's
My Camping Pic's

MarkieBob

Burlington, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/08 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a trailer like that once. No sign of leakage, but smelled musty. Got a good deal on the trailer & I heard a solution of bleach water would take care of it. I did that, meticulously wiping every inch of the inside with that solution, and it took care of it. Smell gone. It had a brief smell of bleach but that also went away.

If there's mold in the walls, where you can't get to it, it's a bigger problem.

2011 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Class A
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara toad.
1994 Weekender 9.5' truck camper
2006 Ford F350 PSD 6.0 4x4
1990 18' Seaswirl boat

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/08 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are some Fresh Wave products out there that are highly regarded by some. However, it sounds like the smell is so severe that only the drastic measures as previously suggested will work. Use the Fresh Wave to maintain the clean smell afterward.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

bdpreece

Woodburn Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/08 12:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can't find any leaks get an ozone generator and run it for a few days. It kills mold, germs, and odors.

Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

m16fullauto

Louisburg NC USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/08 02:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might be worthwhile to check the A/C unit coils for mold as well as inside & outside the duct lines. Look for any growth or discoloration. We ended up spraying Fosters 40-20 anti-fungidical protective coating on the inside & outside of our duct work at the house. A/C units run under high humidity conditions can cause moisture to collect on duct work just like a cold glass of water has water running down the side of it. A dehumidifier can greatly assist as well

2004.5 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4
2006 Jayco Jayflight 31BHDS

m16fullauto

Louisburg NC USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/08 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IF you have mold in or on the duct work: Fosters 40-20

Visit us on the web at www.fosterproducts.com

FOSTER Fungicidal Protective Coating is a polyacrylate
copolymer emulsion specifically formulated for long-term
fungicidal activity, with no loss of activity on aging. It is
formulated to effectively prevent the spread of molds and odorcausing
bacteria on its surface. It provides a tough, elastic,
decorative finish that allows for movement without splitting to
create lodging places for bacteria.
FOSTER Fungicidal Protective Coating provides a cost
effective decorative finish resistant to many industrial
chemicals, together with long-lasting protection. It can be used
on walls, ceilings, pipes, interior and exterior surfaces of HVAC
duct systems, and wherever effective controls are essential.
FOSTER Fungicidal Protective Coating guards against the
regrowth and spread of odor-causing bacteria and molds on the
surface of the coated HVAC system or its treated components
only. As a result, the building occupants may enjoy a work
space free of the odor problems often associated with
contaminated HVAC duct systems.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Musty smelly trailer
Search:   Advanced Search