RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Who has added muffler to a champion generator?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Who has added muffler to a champion generator?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
StillOnThePot

California

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/08 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi guys,

i was one of the guys who first put up a champion generator deal thread. now, i don't want to really be a PITA about the noise (but will use the generator when needed), but i would like to quiet the generator down. This is for consideration and also because i am interested in the challenge. I notice that some suggest replacing the muffler. so here are some questions about it:

1: what type of muffler to use and where to get it from?

2: How was it fastened back onto the generator?

3: how much quieter did it make the generator (with replacing the muffler alone)?

4: aside from the muffler, what is the main source of noise from on the generator?

5: what is the skill level (and which skills) the user will have to have to complete this task?

i have read threads that some have did when they quieted down there generators. this thread is just to help me get a little more understanding on the process and also what others have already done (real world attempts).

thanks in advance

rb

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/08 01:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Adding a muffler MIGHT help a little but MOST of the noise is not coming from the muffler. It's upper engine noise and the only way to silence it is with insulation around the genset. Difficulty with that is continuing to get enough air to adequately cool the engine.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/08 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry you're heading down this road. Many of us who have, have posted our experiences.

You'll soon discover what we did, much of the noise doesn't eminate from the exhaust. There's also intake noise, and mechanical movement noise. Short of putting it in a box, digging a hole, or in a building, you likely won't be pleased with the results. Quiet generators are expensive for good reason. It's not easy to make them quiet to begin with, and almost impossible to make a cheap one quiet. This is the reason nobody in the two decades I've owned generators, has come out with a "quiet kit".

But if you insist, check out this website called "Jacks Small Engines": Link. That's where I bought a "low tone" muffler for my previous contractor grade generator. It did change the pitch to a more bearable sound, and though the muffler was 10x larger than the stock spark arrester type, the overall sound was about the same.

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2007 Rockwood TT 2502
Equalizer Hitch
2010 Ford F-150 FX4 -w- Max Tow Package
Yamaha EF2400iS
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/08 01:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's actually made for ATV's and at $199.00 spendy...but reduces noise by 50%! HERE

And the GenTuri will reduce the noise and reroute the exhaust.
HERE

Any good old fashioned mom/pop muffler shop can fabricate a quieter muffler as well.

This one will make your generator sound like a distant ant passing gas!

HERE

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

WaltinColo

Colorado Springs, Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/08 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar said it exactly right...
I dont mind the few extra db's of the Champion.
It was the price that i was interested in... that and the fact that it IS within the Forest Service db requirements...
I boondock with (2) 6 volt batteries and can go 4 days easily between recharges, so having to fire the genny up every 4 days for 4 or so hours to recharge em is no big deal for me....Im boondocking.. no neighbors.. only me.
If we camp near other people, then its at a campground that has hookups...

Now.... if a few db's is a big deal to you durning those few hours, then maybe you can justify the extra $1600 to get a Honda/Yamaha.

If i ran the a/c 7/24, i might be interested in a quieter genny, but then, even with the Honda, it will be just about as loud as the Champion when running full balls out to generate enough electricity to run an a/c....

So the bottom line:
68 db for $300
58 db for $1800

--------------
'02 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab CTD.
'05 Jayco 1207
'07 22ft SunTracker Regency pontoon

Me, the wife, and the little guy....
...oh, and 2 loving, ready to go camping anytime, Black Lab's

DAYS CAMPED SINCE PUP PURCHASE: 372
BEERS DRANK: 9846

Jimfromvirginia

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/08 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with 2manytoyz. I have extensively researched the Chamion generator on this forum and elsewhere. I had planned to buy one under the premise that I could keep replacing as needed before getting to cost of Yamaha/Honda. Well, finally I realized you get what you pay for. The Champions to seem reliable and customer service ragtes fairly well, and the cost is minimal; but it just is not as quiet as the big two, no matter what claims are made. I gave up and bought a barely used Yamaha 3000 off eBay for many hundreds below retail, and could not be happier.

More to your question though, I believe the rerouted exhaust to higher elevation would be your best bet. Good luck and happy camping.

2008 Keystome Montana towed by 2003 Ford F350 4x4 Diesel

2oldman

Wilson Creek WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/08 05:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe you haven't seen all these. Good luck, it isn't easy.

Gen muffler (2007)

Adding a muffler

Building a soundproof box

Professor95's box

bill h

hassayampa valley

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/08 12:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hold a ball of rags over the exhaust and you will hear where the noise is coming from and how effective a muffler will be with regard to the overall noise output.

NOTE: Any incorrect spelling is intentional to prevent those annoying popups.

84 Barth 30Tag powered by HT502/Thorley/Weiand etc, Gear Vendors OD.
Siamese Calvin and Airedale Hobbes, 4WD Toyota toad

robbins

Soulsbyville, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/08 03:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 5500 Generac that I have changed the muffler on. It quited it down quite a bit, but the most of the noise is from the upper engine. Go to a muffler shop and they can install a 'generator' muffler rather inexpensively, and quickly.
My generator is for quick rural use or power outages, as I don't have any close neighbors.
Just be careful, without insulation around the Champion, it will be fairly noisy for a campground.

See 'ya on top
Keith

2004 2500HD silverado 4x2 extra-cab
265/75/16 Hercules tires
Reese 15000 Pro Hitch
2006 Gulf Stream 30FBRG

Old & Slow

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/29/08 05:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Champion C46540 and with the spark arrestor screen installed, that it came with, they say 'no problem in any NFS park'. As to the noise factor, that will be a subject of debate, I do believe, until Jesus comes.

Billh, you were help aplenty in the silencing of my two gennys. To this day a would love to own your quiet little 650 to do the job of light duty stuff and battery charging. Real nice a quiet.

The muffler issue is of interest, someone suggested a Mom & Pop muffler shop. Maybe someone will tell us of any success from that angle.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Who has added muffler to a champion generator?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS