|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Freightliner XC Chassis Lube

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
markz73

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/08 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the oil / trans fluid changed after 3000 miles. When should the chassis be lubed?

07 XC Basic Chassis - 300 Cummins ISB / Allison 2500 5 spd

07 Winn. Journey 36SG

boulderado

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/08 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would check the manual to see what it says. Our Freightliner shop lubes the chassis as part of the annual 'checkup' we have on ours.

Knut and Susan FMCA-351422
'10 Keystone Hideout 23 RKS
'07 GMC Yukon Denali XL - 99,400 miles as of July 2014

Troubleshooter

Anchorage, AK

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/08 05:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recommend you download and print out both the Operators and Maintenance manuals for your chassis from the following site:
Freightliner Tech Manuals
This way, you will not be at the 'guesstimation' of well meaning, but sometime wrong, forum members.

Only One Old Fellow's Opinion

Bill
2002 Discovery 3126E CAT
2004 Saturn VUE
Mountain Master Tow Brake

chasfm11

Dallas/Ft Worth Areas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/08 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Troubleshooter wrote:

This way, you will not be at the 'guesstimation' of well meaning, but sometime wrong, forum members.

You are correct - there is sometimes incorrect information provided by forum members. The information from Freightliner, however, is also sometimes wrong.
- the manuals have become more and more "generic", trying to cover a multitude of models and configurations. It was always difficult to figure out what applied to your specific chassis - and now it is worse the the manual in the link provided in this thread.
- inaccuracy is often as much due to missing information as it is to what data was provided. For example, in the version of the chassis manual provided with mine, there were specific instructions regarding drive drain lubrication, particularly the u-joints and the slip joint.

Don't get me wrong. I'm very pleased overall with Freightliner and appreciate the support that they have given to me. I would have preferred not to have to be the origin of the correct information about ISB A/C belts but I was since the Freightliner information was and is today flat out wrong about those. The error also applies to some ISCs I later found out. Many people have paid lots of extra money trying to deal with that simple problem, caused by Freightliner's misinformation. I have several other examples of where the Freightliner documents had significant errors and problems. I wish that I could believe everything that they tell me but I just cannot.

On my chassis, I've found that the driveline seems to require lubrication more from sitting than from use. The longer it sits without reasonably frequent use, the more likely parts of are to appear dry. I figure that more harm comes from dry joints than from overlubing them so I inspect them with my grease gun in my hand. I, too, could be wrong.

2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36'DP Cummins 5.9, Allison 1000 5sp
2005 Saturn Vue Toad, Falcon2 Towbar, BrakeMaster Toad Brake

barnaclebill

Atlanta Michigan or towards the sun

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/08 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I do mine yearly, the drive shaft more often if I do more than 5k miles"
How come? Does the shaft sling out the grease? Please explain.

2003 41' Newmar Mountain Aire
400 Cummins
Jeep Liberty
Blue Ox Brake Buddy

C5man

West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/08 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do mine yearly, the drive shaft more often if I do more than 5k miles.

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/08 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oil changes and transmission service will be in their respective manuals. Any questions there, call their help lines. Yes, Freightliner manuals are sometimes hard to read because they do apply to all of their XC chassis, but the info is in there and it is accurate. Sometimes we don't want to believe what they tell us, but they assembled it and the book is essentially the Bible. If you're having trouble with it, you should call the Freightline Help line and ask. These folks are good, and if they don't know, they'll tell you and call back with the info. You'll find a lot of their Oasis dealers (Motor home special qualified) will use the checklists right out of the manuals when doing your periodic maintenance.

If you really want to learn about your chassis, attend a 2 day long Camp Freightliner at Gaffney that is run by Mike Cody. Tons of info, and directed toward YOUR SPECIFIC CHASSIS BY VIN NUMBER.

I'm on my second Freightliner chassis and my second Camp Freightliner course. This time my DW is also attending. Time and $$ well spent if you intend to learn about your major investment. I do just about all my own maintenance and repair and have for the past 4+ years.

John

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
BlueOx Aventa LX Tow Bar
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Freightliner XC Chassis Lube
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes