|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Can't Find My Battery Isolator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/08 01:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Four Winds may use the trailer charge circuit to charge the coach batteries. The trailer charge circuit will be connected any time the ignition is on. The rental I used last year worked this way.

1) Make sure the trailer charge relay is installed in the power distribution box under the hood.

2) Check the 40 Amp trailer charge XL sized fuse in the same box.

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon, V10 - 385,000 miles
2014 CreekSide 31KQBS (QuadSlide bunkhouse)

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/08 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pnichols wrote,

"I wonder how many Winnebago (.... or other MH's with direct-connect battery solenoids with a Ford chassis) owners have this happening and are not aware of it because they do not have a monitoring voltmeter on their dash to tell them? They are then sometimes, but not always, faced with arriving at their camp site with partially depleted coach batteries and wondering why "their coach batteries aren't performing well".

I "THINK" that this may be caused by something in the Ford alternator's sensing electronics whereby they are getting "tricked" somehow into sensing a chassis battery voltage that is too high to need any charging voltage applied from the alternator. Somehow my cycling of the coach battery bank's disconnect switch may be serving to correct this sensing/logic error."

My comment,

We have an Itasca 24V. That relay quit working on a trip this past spring, it would open and close but no power would flow through it. Yours may be heading the same way and will quit soon.

Sorry pinchols, I didn't do that right.

Dusty

* This post was edited 08/28/08 05:52am by Dusty R *

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/08 12:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tito,

Please let us know what you ultimately discover is the problem.

Maybe the strange thing I'm seeing is the same and I'd really like to get to the bottom of it.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

2snobrdz

Punta Gorda, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/08 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps if you make a call to the manufacturer they have the prints on every unit and where things were put. At least that works for my 2006 Coachman Concord E450

2008 Tundra 5.7
2004 Keystone Springdale 25'
2 cats Riley and Casey
1 Beautiful wife
Camped in every state in the continental USA (incl Alaska)

RVWithTito

Poulsbo, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/08 12:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a chance to test it out tonight with no success. What I thought was the solenoid (under the coolant) appeared to be a relay attached to the emergency start switch (see picture).

I tested the voltage on the chassis side with the engine running. It read a charge voltage of around 14.2V. The house side remained at 12.6V. The house side would go up to the charge voltage only when the emergency start switch was pressed. I was able reach around and hit the switch with my right hand and feel the relay in the engine compartment with my left hand click over. I also toggled the battery disconnect switch to see if that did anything. Unfortunately there was no change.

I'm wondering if I even have a battery isolator. I'll see what the manufacturer says.

Thanks for all of the help. This is a great forum.

-Tito

2007 Four Winds 31F Class C; Ford E450 Chassis; 250 Watts Solar;

Visit my website at RVwithTito.com
Watch my video tips at YouTube/RVWithTito

RVWithTito

Poulsbo, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/08 11:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank MNTundraRet, Pierrem, and pnichols for the useful feedback. Sounds like what I've located is what I need to test. It is, in fact, located on the right side of the engine compartment under the coolant like you said pierrem.

I'll try testing the house battery side of the solenoid while the engine is running to see if the charge voltage goes up. If that doesn't work. I'll try flipping the battery disconnect switch as pnichols recommended.

Tito

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/08 05:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that the emergency start and the battery isolation relay is one in the same.

Dusty

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Can't Find My Battery Isolator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS