|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> tire wear with tow dolly

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Michigander

Cedarville, Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/09 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow our honda civic on a dolly and the rear tires are all chopped up. The tire shop that I went to have them rotated and balanced at suggested the car may need a 4 wheel alignment. (they don't do alignments) The tire shop has always been very good but I have never had a car with rear's having an odd wear pattern. Could it be that following along on the dolly caused the goofy wear or even that it is just because the front's only have 35K and the rears are at about 45K?

Thanks for any insight you may have!!

2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
Honda civic toad "RGOCART"

"A father measures his wealth not in his possessions, but in the happiness of his family"

Mandalay Parr

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/09 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the car is not square with the dolly, and the dolly wants to pull it side ways.

Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
KG7EFA - Extra Class
Kenwood Radios

Chief enforcer

Interlaken N.J. U.S.A.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/09 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The dolly should have a pivoting turn-table for the front wheels so it should center on its' own, and not be pulling the car sideways. Make sure that the turn-table moves freely and is not binding. I would also have a 4 wheel alignment done too.

Rollincool

RI

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/09 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On a 4 wheel alignment car, when the front is raised, the rear takes the weight and you will get negative camber. Along with the negative camber you also get an improper caster angle which is why you are seeing tire wear.

Lining it up will help, but won't solve the problem.

dbates

Marion, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/09 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've pulled my Vibe on a Demco KarKaddy for over 30,000 with no unusual tire wear to the toad. There must be something wrong with the toad or the dolly.

I’m no expert but I’m inclined to agree with your tire shop. Have the Honda checked out.

Dave

Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

Art D

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/09 07:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've towed my Toyota Camry on a dolly for at least 5000 miles without any rear tire wear out of the normal.

Geaux LSU

topflite51

In The Desert of Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/09 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fail to see how doing a 4 wheel alignment will help with your vehicle unless the 4 wheels that are being aligned are the two on the dolly and the rear tires of your vehicle. Then of course you would have to ALWAYS load the car in the exact same position on the dolly which is physically impossible. The fact is you are placing more weight to the rear of the vehicle which it was not designed for. For all intents and purposes you are changing the alignment angles when you load the vehicle on the dolly. Possibly an upgrade in the rear suspension of the vehicle would help, or at least new rear shocks/struts. Have seen abnormal wear patterns on other vehicles that have been dollied. Different vehicles and dollies will react differently.

David
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to golf or fish
Simply Despicable
Any errors are a result of CRS.

Deen

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/09 09:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've towed our '05 Ody several thousand miles now with no noticeable wear on the rear tires. Haven't tried the Civic on it yet, need to get a wiring kit and wire the lights in first.
Use a Demco Kar Kaddy 460 and have been watching the tires for any signs of extra wear.

Deen

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/09 09:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chief enforcer wrote:

The dolly should have a pivoting turn-table for the front wheels so it should center on its' own, and not be pulling the car sideways. Make sure that the turn-table moves freely and is not binding. I would also have a 4 wheel alignment done too.

Some dollies, like our Demco Kar Kaddy SS460, don't have a pivoting plate, the dollies wheels steer too and are a much better arrangment than the swivel plate. We've had both types of dollies and the pivoting wheel ones are much superior.

texasbaskets

Frisco, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/09 09:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is interesting because I have two rear tires on my Olds van that are cupped on the inside as well from what I suspect is dolly towing. I have the Roadmaster Tow Master which wheel steers so I don't believe it's the dolly.

I have been told by the tire shop it's an alignment issue. Unfortunately in my case, I have to haul a 250 lb. wheelchair in the back, and I suspect my alignment in way off when I get it up on the dolly and all that weight is shifted to the rear. I'm getting it aligned with the chair in the back this time but I don't expect a miracle cure because the van has automatic leveling.

If I find anything useful I'll post it.

* This post was edited 07/28/09 09:32am by texasbaskets *

Michael, Kay, and Prissy (The vicious 6 pound Malti-Poo)
'05 Coachmen SportsCoach SE 372DS a.k.a. "Mana's Cabana"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> tire wear with tow dolly
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS