RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Thousand Trails - Can you just Quit?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Thousand Trails - Can you just Quit?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
B Bob

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/10 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is fairly safe to say that TT attracts strong comments pro and con. IMHO Thousand Trails membership is a relationship similar to owning an RV. RVs are great deals if you use them a lot. And TT membership seems to be a good deal for the folks that use them.

I am not a member and have been to three Thousand Trails parks in our general vicinity. They seem to me to be "cream of the crop" RV parks. The ones I have been to are Idylwild CA, Oakzanita CA, and Pio Pico CA. Great places. If we are lucky enough to start RVing as much as we would like we are going to buy a resale membership.

pusherpilot

Wherever we are.

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/10 10:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JR45 wrote:

Let me see if I have this right. If I were NOT a Thousand Trails Member and stay out 365 day's a year and paid at the low end $30.00 a night to stay somewhere in one year I would have spent $10,050.00, but I only have to pay $579.00 per year and my dues are frozen. I do not have to pay for power,garbage,water this has to be a scam
JR

If it's a scam we've been scammed for over 20 yrs now! That is why TT s so popular with fulltimers who dont mind stayhing in one general vacinity for long periods of time. I know a few folks who have been snowbirding on the Pacific coast for years, never or rarely staying outside the system. Our membership allows 2 week stays with one week out before we can come back in the same park. We have "park-to-park" which allows us to travel to another TT park immediatly and check in there for 2 weeks etc. These fulltimers have perfected the merry minuet of moving from park to park without having to stay in pay places too many nites. They do all seem to carp about the system not having convenient parks along their flyways, I5 and US 101 to accomodate them as they move on their migratory trips. When in Oregon/Washington there are several parks to move around to and in So. Calif there are 4 they like to use, Wilderness, Pio Pico, Palm Springs and Soledad Canyon.

Pauljdav

Everett, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/10 12:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chiefneon wrote:

Howdy!

Intimidate, I found and purchased great Thousands Trails membership on Craigslist last year. Resale is the only way to go.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon

Ditto. I have gotten more than my $$ worth. I do have several of the parks within 50 miles away so it is easy to use.

JR45

Warren/OR/USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/10 12:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pusherpilot
You are so right and that is the price that I pay to stay at a park that is locked to keep the rifraf out. Everyone there has a stake in it, most things are left out at night, they have pools, internet, washer&dryers, store what more do you need. We can stay 3 weeks at a time and move to the next one and book 150 days out, + my kids both get memberships for only $30.00 a year with RPI + ROD what more do you need. Life is good. I just have to find another scam like this one. We live in the Pacific Northwest so we have a lot of parks to see and people to meet.
JR

* This post was edited 02/01/10 08:49am by JR45 *

2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
98 Honda Accord Toad

jerseyjim

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/10 08:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I, personally have no interest for ANY of the "condo-campground" membership things. but...a couple of my "camping buddies" have memberships and like them. Fine.
Over the years (especially the early ones) there were so many problems...I think the gov't got involved with some of the "memberhip" CGs...it was just a big turn-off...for me. Running RVs for over 20 years, I've not had a problem getting into any campground (except those exclusive ones...the ones that are "members only"...or them super-expensive snobby places)....so I simply surf over them....
Even Good Sam has it's problems...in Florida, going for a 2 week stay, I finally got the chance to use my Good Sam card for the 10%....only to be told that THEIR 2 week rate...is cheaper than the Good Sam discount. GS is only "good" for the daily rate. But I still keep my GS membership...if only to get their monthly, entertaining magazine. But now...they're starting an on-line thing....I think hopefully to eliminate the paper version...and if that happens, they will simply lose me as a customer. Oh, well......

RayChez

Barstow, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/10 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been with TT for seven years. We love it because we save lots of money if you are going to use your coach or trailer. We bought our from a TT sales person, then we upgraded to a platnuim last year so that we could go from one TT to another continues anywhere in this country. I figure it paid for itself in the first year of usage. Now there are many different contracts like somebody mentioned over 250 I heard. Our we can get out anytime we want to, but like the sales person told us when we upgraded. And that was to give them a chance to resell your contract and that way you get your original investment back. But if we didn't want that route, we still can get out anytime. There are many sales offices. Just give them a call and they will drive up and meet you where ever you are. We were at Morgan Hill, California when we upgraded and he drove from Soledad TT office and met with us. Only one thing I don't like about TT and that is their lease programs and something there will have to change if they want to continue having satified customers. My recommendation is to separate the lease areas from the daily users of the park. Too many TT members not happy about the lease programs or storage on sight programs. But overall TT is a very good thing to get into and save money and enjoy nice resorts through out the country.

2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2013 Honda CR-V EX
Aventa II
FMCA member

Paul Turpin

Surprise,Arizona / Cincinnati,Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/10 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tsalla Apopka wrote:

Friends were considering TT Membership and one of the questions they had was "If you get to a point in your life where you no longer use TT, Can you just stop paying the yearly dues and let it lapse? "
Are there repercussions or does the membership just go away........?

Tsalla Apopka,
I hope you got the info you wanted. It got off topic in some posts from what you asked.

Paul and Sue
2004 Pace Arrow 37C
Workhorse
2006 Saturn Ion

RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/10 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tsalla Apopka wrote:

Friends were considering TT Membership and one of the questions they had was "If you get to a point in your life where you no longer use TT, Can you just stop paying the yearly dues and let it lapse? "
Are there repercussions or does the membership just go away........?

As you can see getting the correct answer on RV.net is akin to eating a soup sandwich.

If I wanted the real scoop I would call Thousand Trails. I'm sure they will answer your questions.

hohenwald48

Hohenwald, TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/10 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A soup sandwich, now that's one I'll have to remember.

2008 Fleetwood Jamboree 25G
1999 Jeep Wrangler
100% Solar Powered Home
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/10 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JR45 wrote:

pusherpilot
You are so right and that is the price that I pay to stay at a park that is locked to keep the rifraf out. JR

Yeah, but I AM a member of the "rifraf", and proud of it!
You can have your upscale gated communities, some of us don't want anything to do with them, be they "stick and brick" or RV communities.
I just could never get the hang of looking down my nose at people, and I don't want to live around anybody who makes a habit of it!
"RIFRAF", indeed.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Thousand Trails - Can you just Quit?
Search:   Advanced Search