RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Husky 16k rocker/slider vs. Reese 16k rocker /slider

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Husky 16k rocker/slider vs. Reese 16k rocker /slider

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
10-7 Retired

Visalia, CA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/02 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any thoughts about the Husky 16k rocker/slider vs. Reese 16k rocker/slider? Are we talking apples and apples.

Thanks

Mike

*This Message was edited on 16-May-02 08:59 PM by Mike Gutsch*

NH_Bob

Nashua, NH

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/02 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike recently went thru same exercise. I opted for Husky/Valley after checkinng threads here on same issue. Husky slider has rollers=no grease necessary, I move mine easily with one hand.
Likewise, the Husky hitch has a visual "locked-up" indicator pin that pops out of the housing; Reese threads talk of painging jaws white so can verify lock with flashlite easier, and some stories of easily missing the Reese lock and dropping 5er on the truck bed. Local dealer installing both hitches verified 2 such drops by rvers in his lot in past 2 years.

The guy did my install also preferred the frame mounting technique for Husky vs the Reese, and it leaves plenty of room for AirLift brackets if you need 'em later.
JMO, your mileage may vary.

Bob & Marty Howe Full-time Street People
2002 Cougar 286efs 5er, 2000 F250SD 4x4/sc/sb/V-10, rhino-lined; Valley/Husky 16K slider; Jordan 2020 Ultima b/c; 2 Honda EU2000's; 4 T-105's; TM500A BatteryMonitor; rewiring for 50amp. Now with SUREflo Sensor 5.7 pump. Mobile internet via PCS Vision/Toshiba 2032pocketPC and/or N400

New Drainpipe Setup

Howe's HondaBox (final version)

Prototype (banana) HondaBox

Honda's Pricey Box

Banana vs Walmart Cord: My Polarity Concerns

DuckButt Fix for Bare Connector Concerns

Honda Sound Level Tests

DIY Shore Cable/Receptacle, 30A-50A Rewire

In the Works: Adding Tank Heaters & BellySkin

NH_Bob

Nashua, NH

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/02 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW, here's a current thread that illustrates/reinforces (for me) the slider decision.
http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/index.cfm?site=TLM

Do a search for "creased bed" or "dropped pin" for more views pro/con.

LLeopold

Camarillo, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/02 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NH_Bob pretty much said it all. I chose the Valley/Husky hitch for the same reason as he stated.

Side-by-side the two appear to be quality products. While the slider option for the my Husky was $75, the Reese slider was quoted for $230. The pop-out indicator in the Husky was also a plus for me. I notice on the Reese website that Reese now has an LED type of indicator that does the same thing for about $44.

Hope this helps.

Lou Leopold
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Quad, SWB, 3.55:1, Rhino Lining
2000 25' Mallard M-23 5M 5th Wheel
Husky 15K w/EZ slider
Wen PowerPro 3500 Generator in a sound box
And I continue to tent camp!

JIMMY034

Springville, NY (S. of Buffalo)

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/02 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are two hitches that I know of that do not use the jaw-type locking mechanism. One is made by Valley, which is a wrap-around bar that rotates around the back of the pin, and has a visible-from-the-cab locking indicator, and a very beefy handle with the ability to install a rather large padlock for added piece of mind. The Valley is available in standard or sliding models, and has a dual-pivoting head.

The other one is made by RBW, and has a solid bar that slides behind the pin. I am not sure if this one is available as a slider, or a dual pivoting head, as the one my friend has does not pivot side to side. Also has a nice design for the handle, requiring the handle to be rotated down and in to a locked position, so there is no chance of accidental release of your fiver.

I would recommend either one of these, as there are just too many horror stories about those using the standard, traditional jaw-type hitches.

2009 Silverado 2500HD 4X4 C/C/6.0/3.73/Pullrite Super 5th.
2004 Puma 249RBS fifth-wheel bunkhouse.USAF/GULF WAR VET.

5erdriver

Ross, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/02 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike,

I can only speak to the Reese 16K slider. They also have rollers and I don't have to grease mine. Works great for me. I'm sure it's like everything else though, what ever a person has is the best to them and that's ok. That's why there is more than one style and manufacturer.

5erdriver

NH_Bob

Nashua, NH

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/02 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW, Valley=Husky in all respects (one is OEM, other Retail, or some such; just as Reese=Drawtite in most respects from my pre-purch research.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Husky 16k rocker/slider vs. Reese 16k rocker /slider
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS