RV.Net Open Roads Forum: 5th Wheel Hitch Height - Will I have enough?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> 5th Wheel Hitch Height - Will I have enough?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Ladder107

Eastern Wisc.

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/10 08:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sadly, I don't follow this forum enough even though it is like the Bible for RV'ers in need and I've used it with success so often.

I need some advice! I want to pull a mid-size 5th wheel camper that I'd like to buy to replace my travel trailer of about the same weight. What concerns me is WILL I HAVE ENOUGH CLEARANCE BETWEEN BED RAILS AND BOTTOM OF BUNK AREA? I am pulling with a Silverado 1500 but I have standard size stainless bed rail bars on the bed rails...which obviously adds to the bed rail height. Are these going to be an issue in overall clearance? I am tempted to drive back to the dealer and ask to back under the used 5'er and see what kind of clearance I'd have given the known height of the hitch I'd like to buy maxs out at 17" high.

Sure would appreciate some thoughts.

- Kevin
School Teacher and Ph.C. (doctorate in Camping Science)
2010 Zinger by Crossroads 26RL TT w/ Equil-i-Zer
2006 Chev Silverado K1500 4x4 Ext. Cab
Curt Class V Hitch

crickeydog

Marietta, Ga.

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/10 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO: The unofficial clearance requirement between the top of the truck bed rails and the bottom of the 5'er's alcove is 6". That's what I have for a clearance and seemingly that's what most other 5'er folks have whom I've talked to as well over the years. In order to avoid contact between your truck bed rails and bottom of the 5'er alcove, you'll almost certainly have to lose your chrome rails.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!

USAF RETIRED 1992 "EITHER LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GET OUTTA THE WAY":
DEPT OF DEFENSE RETIRED 2014
D/W DEPT OF JUSTICE RETIRED 2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT, AKA:"THE SILVER FOX" or "THE ROAD LOCOMOTIVE"

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRES, 30 SCD 5'ER

ArkieVet

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/10 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crickeydog wrote:

IMHO: The unofficial clearance requirement between the top of the truck bed rails and the bottom of the 5'er's alcove is 6". That's what I have for a clearance and seemingly that's what most other 5'er folks have whom I've talked to as well over the years. In order to avoid contact between your truck bed rails and bottom of the 5'er alcove, you'll almost certainly have to lose your chrome rails.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!

X2

Retired U.S. Army SFC ('67 - '88)
(Infantry, AG Corps)
Nam Vet - Infantry (68-69-70 & 71-72)
2009 F350 Crew Cab Dually PSD Tow Boss
2009 Cameo F35SB3 w/TST TPMS
Life Member MOPH and DAV
KC5UCN

powderman426

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/10 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When sitting at a traffic light, I always feel like my 2500 is sitting a lot higher than a 1500. It may not be a problem but I would check it out before removing the rails.

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
28' Prowler & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Miles Away

Lebanon, TN

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/10 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto on the six inches. Your problem will not rear its' ugly head while towing down the road, but will when you are parking on uneven ground. You may find your truck tires are not on the same level as your trailer tires and suddenly, WAMO, the bottom of your upper deck and the top of your bed rails are doing battle. You will most probable have to remove the bedrail bars, but don't take our word for it, go to the dealer and back your truck under the fiver and measure for yourself before your close the deal.

On another note; I'm sure the salesman at the trailer dealership has assured you that your 1500 Silverado will be plenty of truck for your new rig. Remember he is a salesmanwho is likely to tell you what you want to hear to close the deal and probably has never camped or towed a fiver himself. So, if you are comfortable with the tail wagging the dog, go for it.

Best of Luck and welcome to the forum.

M & M On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

Umaxman

Nova Scotia Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/10 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure if yours is a 4x4 or not but on my set up I only had about 4 to 5 inches of clearance which was not enough.
I flipped my axles on the trailer and gained a lot more clearance plus it leveled it better. I have a 24ft 5th wheel and would not go any bigger with my Silverado 1500 4x4 which has the full tow package

kaydeejay

SE Michigan, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/10 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6" clearance required - minimum!
Ditto on the "make sure your truck can handle a fiver" recommendation.
Very few 1/2 tons can handle the hitch weight of anything BUT a very small fifth wheel. I don't know what you mean by a "mid-size fifth wheel" but if it's over maybe 24' and/or 6000# you will probably be overloading your truck.
It's not what you can PULL (Tow rating) that will bite you so much as what you can CARRY (Remaining payload after you load the truck up with people, stuff and a hitch).
Do the math first so you don't end up with WAY too much trailer for your truck.
That, or you'll be trading for a 3/4 or 1-ton very soon!

Keith J.
1999 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver.
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC/SB/DA 2WD, LLY with LBZ air cleaner, 52 gal Titan tank, Bilsteins, Line-X, Westin steps, Prodigy, Retrax cover, 16K Superglide, 5th-Airborne pin-box, Multi-vex mirrors, TST TPMS.

andrewsmark6

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/10 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The rails will need to come off.

Also, there are plenty of modest 5th wheels that can be towed with your 1/2T. Ours weighs 7000#, nothing is overloaded, and we love it.

Good Luck,
Mark

'08 Chevy K1500 long bed 5.3L / 4.10
26' Keystone-Springdale 5th wheel (7060# loaded, 1390# pin weight)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> 5th Wheel Hitch Height - Will I have enough?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS