|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Hard to Open Rear Windows on Chevy Roadtrek

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
sergeant76

New Bedford, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/11 02:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the RoadTrek Yahoo Groups for the last several days there have been discussions of hard to open rear windows on Chevy Roadtrek's.

There is a reason for the hard to open rear windows on Chevy RoadTreks and the reason for the rear door windows being screwed shut, it is a safety concern, and a RVIA Code as well as a US regulation.

Today I received the following information from RoadTrek, reads as follows:

Sleeping Areas in RV's need to be protected from Carbon Monoxide emissions from both tail pipes and generators. The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) Code requires this.

The rear door windows are screwed (riveted on older units) shut by Roadtrek according to US regulations. The reason for this is that people sleep in the vehicle. Because it is possible for a person to be sleeping in the back of the vehicle when it is moving, and the vehicles are brick-shaped and create a negative pressure zone behind them when moving through the air, vehicle exhaust can be sucked in through the rear door windows and potentially harm a person there.

Note:

Having been a Police Officer for 38 1/2 years here in MA, being in Uniform Patrol as well as being in Detectives, Plain Clothes, in charge of Special Investigations I have witnessed and investigated numerous deaths involving deaths of Carbon Monoxide.

Have seen both accidental and suicidal deaths of Carbon Monoxide in Motor Vehicles, very sad.

It is important to keep all rear windows, being the rear doors, and the rear side windows closed when operating an RV or when the vehicle is standing and idling.

Also, folks should not be sleeping in the rear of an RV when the vehicle is moving as serious injuries or death resulting can occur due to a Motor Vehicle Accident.

Ron

Ron & Rose Cabral
New Bedford, MA
2010 Chevy/RoadTrek 190 Popular
FMCA-303873 ~K1RRC~ RRCRT@aol.com

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/11 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This had to be just one more thing that Roadtrek overlooked on my 2011. The rear windows open normally - no screws were added.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

My Roadtrek

Tucson, AZ.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/11 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

loving retirement wrote:

Some RT dealers are known for removing those screws.

X2

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/11 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My '02 C190P, bought low-miles used, still had square-drive screws thru both rear window knuckle latches. Simple enough but somewhat costy to take them out and install screens.

Jim, "Yeah, I'm lost. But dam', I'm sure making good time!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

sergeant76

New Bedford, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/11 04:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1775 are the holes there were the screws should be?

Ron

loving retirement

SF Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/11 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some RT dealers are known for removing those screws.

senf

Nanaimo,BC,Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/11 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Roadtreks destined for the USA are in some respects different from those destined for Canada. I have yet to see a Canadian Roadtrek with window latches screwed shut. From a safety point, one should never travel with only the rear window(s) open in any vehicle. Maybe that is something that is not commonly known. As for riding in the rear, the law in most provinces says that you must use a seat belt (properly). Lying down on a bed doesn't qualify.

"Drive with Care, Life has no Spare!"
2008 Roadtrek C190V 6.0L Hella Fog, Nighthawk Driving, Halogen Reverse Lights, Fiamma Air Horn, Firestone Air Bags, Custom Bed & Mattress, Custom O/Head Tray. website www.sen-f.ca

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/11 08:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The cost was in buying the screens. Removing the screws was as simple as it sounds, as long as you have the right size square drive. Mine was complicated by being sent the wrong screens (don't recall which company, Bug Barrier or Screenz). The owners were on vacation, and neither I nor the girl who took my order knew there were two versions of the '02 RT C190P, with or without plastic trim around the windows. Natch, I got the wrong one.

Jim, "you never really learn to swear until you learn to drive."

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/11 09:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sergeant76 wrote:

1775 are the holes there were the screws should be?

Ron

I went out to look. There are no screw holes in the latch on either window and there are no screw holes any place around the window. There do not seem to ever have been any screws placed here to prevent the window latches from working.

Also - the two side windows in the back of my RT which are immediately adjacent to the rear cargo door windows open and close.

Robert

tontobird

York Haven, PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/11 07:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2011 190P has the screws in the latches. We were wondering why. We'd like to remove them to be able to open the windows when sleeping.

We were just going to remove the screws and figured the latches would work fine. Is this the case?

Handbasket, you said it was costly...what was costly, putting in the screens or removing the screws and getting the latches to work right?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Hard to Open Rear Windows on Chevy Roadtrek
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS