RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Hybrid Travel Trailers: No brake lights or signal lights

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> No brake lights or signal lights

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
sniperj78

Calgary, AB Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/11 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Brake and turn signals use a different filament in your light bulbs.
Check ground
Check fuses under the hood.
What make and model of TV?

TV is 2010 Ford F150 Crew Cab

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/11 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check for fuses under the hood driver's side. There should be two fuses for each function.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

Chuck_S

Broadview Hts, OH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/11 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you test the trailer as I suggested earlier? Trouble shooting the truck is pointless if the trailer lights don't work properly.

If the trailer is good, stop in at the auto parts store this afternoon and get a 12v test light. Usually has a probe connected by a wire to an alligator clip. Clip goes to the truck frame. Turn the 4-way flashers on and insert the probe in the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock contacts on the back of the truck. Should flash in sync with the taillights on the truck. There should be a diagram on the closed cap showing what does what.

The trailer turn/brake signals both connect to the same 40a fuse in the trailer tow fuse panel under the truck hood. It's on top of the radiator shroud in my Expedition.

There's a junction box under my camper where the umbilical cord connects to the trailer wiring. If the trailer lights test bad there may be a loose connection or two in there.

-- Chuck

'06 Roo 23SS behind '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
Our Photo pages

go wild

Minneapolis, MN

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/11 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same problem. Replaced the 7-pin vehicle connector (i.e. the end attached to the truck) and problem solved.

2007 Jeep Commander 4X4 HEMI
2010 Jayco 17Z

sniperj78

Calgary, AB Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/11 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for taking the time to reply Chuck. I will try these things and post back what I find out.

sniperj78

Calgary, AB Canada

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/11 09:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, now I feel stupid. Using all the advice above I checked the trailer lights first by connecting a circuit tester between the 12V and turn light connectors on the umbilical cord (checked out fine)...so I know the wiring and the bulbs on the trailer are fine. So, it must be the TV. I re-checked all the fuses and found the right one this time. Sure enough, blown fuse. What I learned, there are two fuse boxes on my TV (2010 Ford F150). Hopefully someone else will learn from this thread what I did. Great tips everyone and how to trouble shoot what I am sure is a very common problem!

Chuck_S

Broadview Hts, OH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/11 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the trailer tow fuse/relay box on my Expedition. Entirely separate from the main box. I'm guessing the F150, the parent of the Expedition, is similar. The fuse and relay for the either the Brake Controller or 12v Trailer Battery Charge circuit (I forget which!) needed to be inserted, they came in a separate bag.

As for the fuse don't feel any stupider than me. I had a problem with the range hood on my Roo 23SS that turned out to be a fuse as well. I was getting ready to pull new wiring thru the trailer to fix it when I discovered the overlooked fuse.

-- Chuck

* This post was edited 06/14/11 07:49am by Chuck_S *

Chuck_S

Broadview Hts, OH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/12 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I doubt anyone was watching this thread until you woke it up!

The left and right brake/signals are on separate circuit from the running lights. If the truck is OK and nothing on the trailer is working the first suspect is the ground.

-- Chuck

RandK-M

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/25/12 06:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine lost brake and turn after sitting for the winter too. It turned out to be a little corrosion in the bulb connector itself.

With the turn signal on, I twisted and played with the bulb a bit and it came on. I just cleaned the connector, added some bulb grease, and all is good now.

Jayco 17Z
Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Prodigy P2
Equal-i-zer Hitch
US Navy Veteran

phishheadmi

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/12 04:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if anyone's still watching this thread. I have a trip planned tomorrow, and of course when I pulled my TT out of storage a couple of days ago, the brakes and all exterior lights (turn sigs, brake lights and running lights) didn't work. I cleaned the contacts in my 7 pin connector and got the brakes working but still no lights. I've traced the wiring back from the umbilical cord to where it disappears into the RV and everything seems to be OK. Next, I replaced the 7 pin connector thinking maybe that was the problem. Where do I go from here? Oh, the guy at my local RV store had a 7 pin tester and everything's working fine on the TV. So, now I have brakes, but no lights...any ideas? Since all the lights quit working, I have to assume it's up stream from each individual light. HELP, PLEASE!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> No brake lights or signal lights
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS