|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> tpo vinyl roofs vs epdm

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/11 07:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is one better than the other? Anyone have any experience with the vinyl roof? We are getting a new Cameo with this type of roof. Just curious if it's easier to maintain.

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/11 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EDPM Vinyl has been sold as commercial roofing product for more than 45 years; Around the world, and going back decades, billions of square feet of vinyl roof are installed on buildings in climates of every imaginable extreme. It is a material that has proven performance to withstand all of those stressors.

TPO is a newer product with about 17 years’ field experience. TPO is a synthetic rubber compound with outstanding heat, ozone and weather resistance. It was commercially developed in 1994 and is now the leading industrial roofing material. TPO has been popular with RV builders because it is durable and weighs half of what a EDPM roof weighs.

From Alpha Systems website regarding both roofing materials care......

"Periodic cleaning (three to four times per year) is the primary maintenance required. Alpha Systems recommends using a non-abrasive household cleaner, such as Top Job or Spic-N-Span, and a medium-bristled scrub brush. Do not use any harsh or highly-abrasive products during cleaning. When finished cleaning, remember to thoroughly rinse the roof and sidewalls in order to remove any soap residue and to prevent streaking. CARE SHOULD BE EXERCISED WHEN WORKING ON TOP OF YOUR UNIT! THE ROOF MAY BECOME SLIPPERY WHEN WET.

DO NOT USE ACETONE, OR ANY OTHER PRODUCTS CONTAINING PETROLEUM DISTILLATES, ON THE ALPHA SYSTEMS ROOF MEMBRANE. USE OF THESE PRODUCTS WILL DAMAGE THE MEMBRANE.

Periodic inspection of the roof, during cleaning, is highly recommended. Check the membrane for signs of damage. Check the caulk/lap sealant used in all termination areas, and around all accessories and fasteners, for signs of cracking or voids.

The roof membrane can be cut or punctured by sharp objects. Caution should be used when placing any articles on the roof. If damage does occur, the membrane can usually be patched.

Alpha's membrane is quite inert and will resist weathering well. It does not require the periodic application of products to protect it from ultra-violet light or ozone. In fact, these products can often cause damage to the roof membrane."

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

luvglass

Milwaukee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/11 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live in a 2006 Cameo and never have had to do anything with the roof. It gets washed a few times a year when we have the rig done and I inspect it about twice a year for seam leaks. It's still almost pure white and we have never had a leak.
Also we have never had any black streaks.

Just about trouble free, rest easy.

Fred Wishnie
2006 Carriage Cameo 35KS3, 2006 Ford F350 diesel dually, fulltimer
See our blog at http://www.mytripjournal.com/wanderingwishnies

burlmart

Baton Rouge

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/11 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fordsooperdooty wrote:

EDPM Vinyl has been sold as commercial roofing product for more than 45 years; Around the world, and going back decades, billions of square feet of vinyl roof are installed on buildings in climates of every imaginable extreme. It is a material that has proven performance to withstand all of those stressors.

TPO is a newer product with about 17 years’ field experience. TPO is a synthetic rubber compound with outstanding heat, ozone and weather resistance. It was commercially developed in 1994 and is now the leading industrial roofing material. TPO has been popular with RV builders because it is durable and weighs half of what a EDPM roof weighs.

Thanks for this very upbeat report - it makes me feel much better about our Trail Lite.

How can I tell which one (TPO, EPDM) is on our rig?

2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/11 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a lot to choose from but because EPDM is very sensitive to what PRODUCTS are used on it I prefer the Vinyl roof (TPO). You can clean it with about anything without damage.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/11 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As Skip said, not much too choose from. EPDM IS NOT Vinyl. It is a synthetic rubber. TPO IS NOT rubber and has a felt type lining and will wick water if it is compromised.

PVC is becoming a popular roof material. The key to any roofing system is being careful with maintenance and insure that all caulking is intact. Do a search on "TPO Roofing Problems"

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

Traveler II

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/11 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've only had our Cameo a couple of months, but it appears that the vinyl material is a cleaner roof than the EPDM system we had on our last rig. So far no black streaks.

2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2011 - 165
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 98

Pirate

Appalachia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/11 06:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charlie D. wrote:

As Skip said, not much too choose from. EPDM IS NOT Vinyl. It is a synthetic rubber. TPO IS NOT rubber and has a felt type lining and will wick water if it is compromised.

PVC is becoming a popular roof material. The key to any roofing system is being careful with maintenance and insure that all caulking is intact. Do a search on "TPO Roofing Problems"
I do not believe the stores of "wicking" water under the TPO roof. To me, this is nothing but hearsay. I have a TPO roof. It is rugged. I removed my shower sky light to replace it. I did find some water leakage under one corner. Once this sky light was removed, I was able to lift up the TPO and look under for a few inces. I did not see any indications of water "wicking" it's way from the leak to areas further. I would like to see some substantive reports or photos of TPO causing further problems from "wicking." Any repair types have some FIRST HAND reports of this?

burlmart

Baton Rouge

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/11 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are TPO and EPDM easily visually distinguished?

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/11 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pirate wrote:

I do not believe the stores of "wicking" water under the TPO roof. To me, this is nothing but hearsay. I have a TPO roof. It is rugged. I removed my shower sky light to replace it. I did find some water leakage under one corner. Once this sky light was removed, I was able to lift up the TPO and look under for a few inces. I did not see any indications of water "wicking" it's way from the leak to areas further. I would like to see some substantive reports or photos of TPO causing further problems from "wicking." Any repair types have some FIRST HAND reports of this?

Not hearsay at all. Click here and here for a first hand report along with some pictures as you requested. Also, you might PM Turk2500 and ask him for his experience with the TPO roof. That would not be hearsay but a first hand report.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty, 7.3L PSD
Visit our website here

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> tpo vinyl roofs vs epdm
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues