RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Workamping Forum: Information Discussion for Gate Guards

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> Information Discussion for Gate Guards

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 123  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mdbass

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmmm=wonder who Lomas main customer is? Kinda curious what the "deadly sins" were?? I guess there is no 2nd chance there?

Mark Bass

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, their "dozens of applicants waiting" just shrunk by one....no thanks, we won't work under those conditions.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ Rzr or Suzuki or an ACE riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Blondie Girl

Currently-

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems since our contracts are not really binding contracts, we also could be released at any time for any reason.

I guess there are pros and cons to all the gate guard companies out there. It is amazing the big range of daily wages paid by the various companies.

mdbass

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

It is amazing the big range of daily wages paid by the various companies.

You have to weigh the benefits and how important they are to you. If you're comfortable with limited support for extended periods and working for smaller outfits there are better paying opportunities out there. I'm in it for the money myself.

Blondie Girl

Currently-

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't you just love it when you open the gate for someone then you have to wait for 5 minutes while they talk on their cell phone before you can get their information?? Sometimes little things really irritate me.... I think I need to go to San Antonio or somewhere tomorrow!!

mdbass

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I think I need to go to San Antonio or somewhere tomorrow!
Quote:

Helotes, baby! You'll love it.

rabajara

Bonnieville, Ky

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My biggest complaint since we have been on Marathon gate is people using their cell phones while checking in and out. I have got to where i just go up and start talking as if they are not on the phone. What is wrong with them telling who ever they are talking to to hold on a min? They sign out on wrong lines and don't put all the information down. Oh, well i am taking a week off. Not really the way i wanted, but it will help.

mdbass

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like when they have their cell phone broadcasting through speakers that would make someone in the "hood" proud. Don't even bother to turn it down-know what I mean? Sometimes I think they look right through you. And then you get the bunch that politely dims its lights, slows down as they come through the gate, and treat you with deference. Somehow some of them have manners.

abusman40

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 11:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

arft wrote:

Have seen their light plant gen sets when summer comes look out dont think will run two ac/s Iam not sure but think they are 6 kw.

We've run 2 airs on the generator we have with no problem.

abusman40

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 11:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

xroads wrote:

Quote:

The Texan wrote:

gktsuda1956 wrote:

abusman40 wrote:

Also in that they are relatively new to the business they are sort of paranoid about how one goes about doing the job. A number of folks have been released over minor issues rather than having a chance to discuss the issue.

Just curious. What "minor issues" could result in your firing/release??
That comment is bothering me, too. It appears like they artrying to run it as if you are an employee and that is verboten, under the rules of an independent contractor. We interviewed with them, but now will reconsider, after that comment. If the Texas Employment Commission gets wind of their actions, they will end up as employers with employees, not the way they want to be.

Also work for Loma. They only have 2 clients, Chesapeake and Petrohawk. I have been told that when there is a complaint they release the guards to send a message to the client that they are taking affirmative action. They have released guards for slow response time getting to the gate and do not care if the alarm did not go off. They now have a "guard manager" that resides down here. He monitors the sites day and night checking up on your response time, vests on, etc. and he reports his findings to management. They went from 20 gates on 1/1/12 to 40 gates now. A large amount of capital has been spent on all the extra equipment in a short amount of time so they are worried about losing a client.

The maintenance man and refueling man came on board 2/1/12 and came from Timekeepers. The one truck and trailer to do the refueling is a concern for that # of gates with no backup. I have yet to see the maintenance man about to do the routine maintenance of the generator.

I have been told by management that they have a pool of dozens of applicants just waiting for the change at a gate so if they have to release a gate they're covered.

I believe they are beyond 40 gates as they supposedly had 5 new gates last week.

Interesting about the vest as when we request a vest we were told they were on order. Still haven't received it. Must be on a slow boat from China.

Was told that 80% of their business is Chesapeake, which they got by under biding the other guard companies. One member of management said that he didn't like Petrohawk.

The management spy trys to get on your good side by giving you bottled water.

That refueling trailer is constantly have tire problems. Last time it showed up it had 3 flats that day and poor delivery man was here at 11:00 pm.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 123  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> Information Discussion for Gate Guards
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS