RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Modern travel trailers that will not break the bank?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Modern travel trailers that will not break the bank?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Claude B

Montreal, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that what the op means by ''modern'' design looks like these German made TT like the Hobby RV

http://www.hobby-caravan.de/en/caravans/premium/

Look also for the De Luxe, Excellent and Prestige series

I saw them the in Europe and yes, they are 20 years ahead of american made RV in therms of design and quality.

* This post was edited 02/10/12 07:40pm by Claude B *

Claude
2013 Gulf Stream VISA 19ERD
VW Touareg TDI 2013
VW Passat 2012 TDI

Charltons

Battle Ground, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 10:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why would US manufacturers make these? We like BIG. I could probably count on 1 hand he number of full size pickups I saw in the London area. If we are willing to buy big boxes and big trucks why would any manufacturer put out the R&D money to make streamlined and lighter towables. It wont happen until fuel prices go so high we stop buying big trucks and oversized , supposed lightweight trailers. This is not a rant against either trucks or oversized trailers as I own both, but more a statement on the market of today. As for the 20 years ahead of us, they have to be, it is a must in a market of small cars, small houses and high fuel prices.

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 TCD
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/12 04:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

McClain00 wrote:

I just can't find a TT (other than an air stream) that is modern in style that will fit my budget.

Yep, most of us run into that constantly. Not just with TTs. Living with a budget, that is just life.

McClain00

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 10:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Charltons wrote:

Why would US manufacturers make these? We like BIG. I could probably count on 1 hand he number of full size pickups I saw in the London area. If we are willing to buy big boxes and big trucks why would any manufacturer put out the R&D money to make streamlined and lighter towables. It wont happen until fuel prices go so high we stop buying big trucks and oversized , supposed lightweight trailers. This is not a rant against either trucks or oversized trailers as I own both, but more a statement on the market of today. As for the 20 years ahead of us, they have to be, it is a must in a market of small cars, small houses and high fuel prices.

Wow, this is what's wrong with this country. Bigger will be our down fall! Why would you not want a more efficient TT. One that will help you get every mile you can out of a gallon gas. A travel trailer that will be designed to make every square inch usable. Almost every travel trailer I have stepped in feel like they have been made on someone's 20 minute lunch break. The doors will not close because the thing is not squared. Garbage craftsmanship, if craftsmanship is even what you can call it. I work hard for my money and I'm ashamed that this country still builds these terrible travel trailers. The only one that is worth the money are air steams. By the way, air streams have less wasted space than a most of the square TT. The previous post is why this country is falling behind in everything. The idea of if it's not broke we don't have to fix it. If the economy didn't falter Chevy would still be having to give away cars because no one wanted to buy them. It took out government to wake that company up. Sad sad sad. It's a shame that it didn't wake up everybody. Sorry for the rant, that post just made me sick.

McClain00

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 10:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One more thing, the TT's I've been looking at are around 8000 lb's I have stepped into some very nice motor homes and 5th wheels. I just can't find a TT (other than an air stream) that is modern in style that will fit my budget. I'm not going to go camping with my grandmothers house attached to the back of my SUV. Although maybe I could get my 85 year grandmother to go camping. I could just tell her "you'll love the wall paper in the TT. It looks just like this room you remodeled in the 80's". WHAT A JOKE!

Charltons

Battle Ground, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 11:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

McClain00 wrote:

Charltons wrote:

Wow, this is what's wrong with this country. Bigger will be our down fall! Why would you not want a more efficient TT. One that will help you get every mile you can out of a gallon gas. A travel trailer that will be designed to make every square inch usable. Almost every travel trailer I have stepped in feel like they have been made on someone's 20 minute lunch break. The doors will not close because the thing is not squared. Garbage craftsmanship, if craftsmanship is even what you can call it. I work hard for my money and I'm ashamed that this country still builds these terrible travel trailers. The only one that is worth the money are air steams. By the way, air streams have less wasted space than a most of the square TT. The previous post is why this country is falling behind in everything. The idea of if it's not broke we don't have to fix it. If the economy didn't falter Chevy would still be having to give away cars because no one wanted to buy them. It took out government to wake that company up. Sad sad sad. It's a shame that it didn't wake up everybody. Sorry for the rant, that post just made me sick.

Re-read the post, I was not justifying any of it, just stating why the market does what it does. Does Detroit have the tech to buld a 30+ mpg truck? Sure they do but are they going to in the near future? No sir they are not even thnking about it yet......and they wont anytime in the near future as long as the economy will bear the excess. I think these changes, good or bad, are still a long way off.

nycsteve

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/12 04:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:

Hi, as mentioned, you might consider a slightly used Airstream. (No, mine is not for sale) Be very careful though, because there are a lot of scammers out there advertising Airstreams at ridiculously low prices. I read a few stories, on the other forum, about people who fell into the scammer's trap.

Is the scam a "bait and switch" or someother way of sepersating you from your $$ ? Just curious how they profit from advertising a false low price.

WandaLust2

TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/12 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

McClain00 wrote:

... I just can't find a TT (other than an air stream) that is modern in style that will fit my budget. I'm not going to go camping with my grandmothers house attached to the back of my SUV.

If the only thing that will satisfy you is an Airstream, but you don't have a lot to spend... why not look into a used one? Craigslist is an excellent place to start.

BTW, Airsteams look the same as they did in your grandmother's day.... so I don't see what the problem is.

WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
Heartland 2011 NorthTrail 28BRS
1993 Ford Dutchman Class-C

4monkeys

Southwest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/12 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you checked out Livin Lite brand? They have the VRV & CampLite you might want to look at. We just ordered a VRV.
Also, how about The TAB? Go Little Guy is making them now. But these are not cheap. The Livin Lites aren't cheap either, but I think you can get in one cheaper than a TAB.
How about the R-Pod?

ROBERTSUNRUS

Lakewood, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/12 09:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, as mentioned, you might consider a slightly used Airstream. (No, mine is not for sale) Be very careful though, because there are a lot of scammers out there advertising Airstreams at ridiculously low prices. I read a few stories, on the other forum, about people who fell into the scammer's trap.

Bob
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Modern travel trailers that will not break the bank?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS