|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th Wheel bike rack

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
SilverChappy

Boise

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 09:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey folks...wife and I are going to get a bike rack for our two bikes and sure could use your input as to the best route to go. We have a Chaparral fiver with a continuous welded bumper but would like to avoid using it for the rack if there is a better alternative. What do you say? Any good ideas?

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy/make a class 4/5 receiver hitch and bolt it to the frame. Then you can buy a basic generic off the shelf bike carrier that plugs into the receiver.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

SilverChappy

Boise

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 09:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@donn....do you know if the bike rack would be OK due to the stress of the constant bouncing? Have you done this or know of anyone that has without problems?

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 09:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fabbed a receiver hitch for my last trailer. When I sold it I took the hitch off and remade it to fit my new fiver. While I was at it I also added pads for the rear stabilizers. As they were held in place by some cheezy fabricated boxes that were collapsing after my first trip. Not hard to do, just took some time and welding. I did have a problem with it a couple of years ago on a really rough road. Fact is it broke and I nearly lost three bikes. Got home, took it off and fixed the problem and added a couple of gussets and put it back on. My bikes have been on there since with no problems. I purposely bolted it to the frame so I would not have to weld on the frame. It is nearly perfect for my setup. To help eliminate bouncing of the bike rack in the tube I also added a 3/-16 cap screw to the receiver tube. Install the bike rack and jack the screw tight. No more movement there.

Chris

Shelter Bay, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 09:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Click My Rig in sig line. Very little bounce and can watch them in the mirror.

Chris

My Rig
2001.5 2500 STD CAB AUTO SLT 4x4, CTD 4:10's, Bomb'd to Tow
2005 Cardinal 29WBLX.

SidKaye

Mt Dora Florida, Montreal QC for the Summer

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had my bikes on a Thule Rack in back receiver. Welded and strong, but there is a lot of bouncing and stress in back.
I now have the same rack in a receiver bolted to the pinbox. No stress, works great and inexpensive to build.

Sidney

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT,48RE, 4:10,Cummins HO Diesel,Quad Cab,LWB,SRW,PacBrake,Prodigy, X-Monitor Gauges,Line-X,Bedsaver

2002 Excel,Ltd,30RGW,Hughes Autoformer,Honda Eu1000i, ClearSpot 4G+,

http://www.kayepics.com

SilverChappy

Boise

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen several mention pinbox hitches but I really don't want to remove my shroud.

sandpiper1

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 10:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've used a "bolt to the bumper" 2" receiver with a Thule hitching post bike rack for over a decade. It will wobble, so I have always mounted it near the ladder and connect it to the ladder up high with a tie down strap. That takes the wobble out and makes it stable. The ladder will hold the weight of a man, so it will hold a little weight from the bike rack. I have used this system to haul my bikes for thousands of miles coast to coast without one single problem for over a decade. And just to add a little confidence, I haul Cannondale mountain bikes with a total value of over $6,000.

2004 F350 DRW PSD Crew Cab Lariat LWB FX4, B&W 5th Hitch, 2012 Montana Mountaineer 346LBQ

BrokenElbow

Valencia, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 10:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's the one I have. It mounted to the tongue frame on my tt and mounts to the pin box of my 5er. Toppoprails alias Arvika. If you have a short box tv, they have an extension (I got it) that lifts the bikes over the top of your cab so it doesn't hinder your turning radius.

2011 Montana 3455, MorRyde pin box, TrailerSaver BD3 air hitch, G614 tires, 2x6volt batts, 2 x Honda 2000i, Rotochoks, 6 pnt Levelup, TST TPMS, Arvika bike rack, Voyager Semi Wireless Rear Cam, Flojet Mascerator, 2008 F350 Lariat 6.4L diesel 4x4 SB CC SRW

nremtp143

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 03:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is one that I made for my pin box. The bikes stay up and out of the way. I added another level to it for the low riding platform rack that I have. The lower hole is the hanging rack that only my son's bike will fit on. It is made form a cut I-beam and 2 receivers from Harbor Freight ($14 each). Not that expensive at all. If you have a long bed something like this is easy to do. If you have a short bed, just use a hanging rack and you are good to go.

2012 Sandpiper 365SAQ, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th Wheel bike rack
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: