RV.Net Open Roads Forum: White smoke exhaust cold start 2006 PSD. Liquid in exhaust.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> White smoke exhaust cold start 2006 PSD. Liquid in exhaust.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RVDaysEnded

Sun City West

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi guys. I want to thank everyone for all of the great ideas and suggestions that have come in so far. I have been working through the ideas since my last post and the ones since then look like they might be even more informative. I will start looking them over in detail after I clean the EGR valve again using chemical cleaner. I have almost no worries that is the problem. It was just so easy to remove, it seems a shame not to go all the way with it instead of just using a screwdriver and wire brush.

I took the truck out a little while ago and there was almost no smoke in a drive around a few blocks. Before it had started smoking almost immediately. The smoke was still there when I really accelerated in park and quickly backed off the throttle in the driveway after the short couple of minute drive. Other than that situation, it was mostly gone.

Finding coolant level had almost certainly dropped scared me yesterday. Comments here and the big reduction in smoke after adding a cetane/injector cleaner to the fuel for a 20 mile trip have me back to planning to drive some more miles in fairly short trips to see if the injector cleaner does it all. After I check out a couple of the great suggestions/ideas here since my last post, I will post back late this afternoon. I do want to thank all of the folk here for so much help.

The truck has always been serviced per schedule at a Ford dealership, rock stock with no mods, no repairs needed previously, no work by me until the problem started. Living in the Phoenix area, I've never even cleaned the fuel filters myself. Ford dealership probably did when it was service.

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RollingRockTX wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Ya Rick it's a pretty cool way to see if it's a EGR or HG's. Ford tech's should take a lession from this guy. I have learned a lot from this guy. Really good info IMHO.

Based on him saying the white smoke goes away (I am assuming after engine warm up) my bet, it's the FICM.

What do I win?

Steak Knives?

LOL

I think the prize this month is a Cupie doll. You can line them up across your dash if your really good.

Good luck OP hope that does the trick.

06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
GVWR 12,200 RAWR 9350
06 Grand Junction 34' High profile 15500 GVWR 3200 pin Mor/ryde 5500 Onan genny Dual A/C Wet bolts
27' Hallett 502, 500HP

retired-tech

flint mi

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i would make sure it isnt the egr cooler. used to put a lot of them on at the dealer. if it is and you can get away with it i have heard good things about the elimination kit.

2000 K3500 CCLB DRW 6.5 TURBO
2009 Cougar 320 SRX
2007 atlas 24 auto hauler
1987 GMC origional low miles

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVDaysEnded wrote:

after I clean the EGR valve again using chemical cleaner.

Be careful using chemical cleaner.

No brake cleaner as that is known to damage the valve.

I have almost no worries that is the problem. It was just so easy to remove, it seems a shame not to go all the way with it instead of just using a screwdriver and wire brush.

I took the truck out a little while ago and there was almost no smoke in a drive around a few blocks. Before it had started smoking almost immediately. The smoke was still there when I really accelerated in park and quickly backed off the throttle in the driveway after the short couple of minute drive. Other than that situation, it was mostly gone.

Evidence is that it is water vapor, harmless.

You had a build up of water in the exhaust system --- from short trips.

The fact it is going away suggest NOT a coolant leak, which would hav gotten worse or at least not any better.

Do the smell test!!!!

Finding coolant level had almost certainly dropped scared me yesterday.

Drop of up to nearly 2 gallons is not unusual if you have never topped up coolant since it is new.

Evaporation loss rate is about 1 qt per season is not abnormal operating under high loads.

If your coolant bottle is empty, then you probably have a lot of air in system and it takes a lot of work to purge it --- let me know and I will post the procedure.

Comments here and the big reduction in smoke after adding a cetane/injector cleaner to the fuel for a 20 mile trip have me back to planning to drive some more miles in fairly short trips to see if the injector cleaner does it all.

No, you need to verify that it is not Coolant leak first from smell test.

If it is not coolant, the reduction in smoke is just coming from the exercise the truck is getting --- diesels need to be regularly exercised.

Then you got to drive it HARD, wide open throttle, Italian tune up to unjam the things and get the turbo exercised.

No evidence that it is injector stiction or other ills yet.

After I check out a couple of the great suggestions/ideas here since my last post, I will post back late this afternoon. I do want to thank all of the folk here for so much help.

The truck has always been serviced per schedule at a Ford dealership, rock stock with no mods, no repairs needed previously, no work by me until the problem started. Living in the Phoenix area, I've never even cleaned the fuel filters myself. Ford dealership probably did when it was service.

Fuel filters need to be replaced on schedule, not cleaned.

Water (if any) must be immediately drained if water warning lights, or whenever there is water in fuel noticed during filter change.j

If you had significant carbon build in the EGR system, removing and cleaning will dislodge carbon and cause a very severe appearing failure sometimes (not always).

It goes something like Wide open throttle and no power (5mph).

Billows of white diesel oily smoke.

Cause: carbon jam of intake and / or exhaust valve.

Solution:

Pull over, put in neutral, rev repeatedly to 3,000 rpm 5 or 6 times, and the problem goes away.

Nothing wrong with FICM or Injectors --- another common misdiagnosis.

Nothing in your symptoms suggest FICM, injector, or HPFP problems.

You must smell the white smoke, if it is diesel fuel, then it is the problem discussed below.

Might have some turbo rust, carbon jamming, and normal coolant loss.

If you get white smoke (oily) from this:

Start cold, shut down before it fully warms up.

Restart and press throttle, white smoke seen in mirror together with bogging and low power.

Smell confirm it is unburnt fuel.

Cause -- Injection timing off from vapor in fuel and /or hydraulic system.

Fix:

Simply give it wide open throttle once!

The problem goes away for the balance of the trip and often will not recur again for a long time.

Nothing wrong with FICM or Injectors.

It has to do with vapor bubble in the fuel and or hydraulic system that is purged by the Wide open throttle application.

It can be caused by low cetane (fixed by Ford cetane boost additive), but my fix works just as good, and is nearly free.

Commonly misdiagnoised as FICM or injector problems.

This problem is greatly eased if you use 5w-40 synthetic oil.

Cost of my fixes:

A few hours of your time reading.

Next time you take to dealer, insist on updating to the latest flash.

That make sure you have the wrench light come on if there is an oil cooler clog problem.

Nothing in your description suggest anything wrong.

* This post was edited 02/22/12 11:08am by NewsW *

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Repairs avoided so far:

FICM replacement ($1,000 or more)

EGR cooler ($1,500 or more)

Oil Cooler ($3,000 or more)

HPFP ($6,000 or more)

Injectors ($5,000 or more)

Head Gaskets ($5,000 or more)

Cost of the "Italian Tuneup": $25 in fuel.

Injector cleaner may or may not be needed: $20

Before concluding that the sky is falling, check to see if it is the earth rising first.

When the flash is updated (it may already be), the "Wrench" light will light if you have impending oil cooler failure.

Don't disregard it if it just flashes on... it is detecting the spread in temperature between Engine oil temperature and Engine coolant temperature.

If it comes on under heavy load (tow) and goes off, that is sufficient evidence to have it checked right away.

If it comes on a Daily driver with no load... you got big problems.

With the latest flash, if you don't see the wrench light, the oil cooler plugging problem probably isn't there.

* This post was last edited 02/23/12 08:08am by NewsW *   View edit history

RVDaysEnded

Sun City West

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi again all. Sorry, about not responding promptly to all of the recent help. I got diverted from the truck matter by pleasant personal matters shortly after getting started on it yesterday and am hoping to not get too much done today except take notes on all of the good suggestions, so I will be ready to concentrate on it all day tomorrow and weekend if needed.

Adding injector cleaner seemed to have had a dramatic effect on the smoke cloud problem after only a 20 mile drive in town at about legal speed. None visible from cold start when it was worst before. None visible from drivers seat at idle when coming to a stop. It did send up short thick smoke signals on several different blips of the throttle. But, they weren't as large as before and didn't last long enough to do a sniff test. Could just be residual contamination.

It hasn't had any problems since new until now. So, recently, I have just been getting scheduled things like oil changes done at a very reputable service point here in SCW. Forgot I hadn't gone all the way to the dealer for awhile. But, with this happening, when the truck is due for its regular service in a couple of hundred miles, I will take it to the Ford dealer this time and make sure all flash updates etc have been done.

Nothing is certain until the large lady bursts into song. But, current indications are that it is something related to many months of short distance, in city, no freeway, driving having a negative effect on keeping things like injectors etc clean.

If the mod doesn't close this before then, I will post back with the final chapter. I have a lot on my plate for the next couple of days, so, thanks to all of the helpful people who have so kindly offered ideas and links. Wish me luck!

* This post was edited 02/23/12 07:45am by RVDaysEnded *

RollingRockTX

Keller, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

guys/gurus

He stated that he doesn't drive this truck very often.

I know that if I let m truck sit for a week or more(I travel a lot) I too get some white smoke at start up and for a few miles due to the breakdown of diesel gas.

Could it be he is just running an old tank of fuel?

2006 Ford F250 King Ranch PSD
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
ARP Headstuds
ERG Delete
custom tuned
Diesel Site Coolant Filter System
MBRP 4" Turbo Back, cat delete
MagHytech Rear Dif Cover
2011 Ford Expedition, HD Tow
2011 Cruiser CF33LF, KC5PFG

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RollingRockTX wrote:

guys/gurus

He stated that he doesn't drive this truck very often.

I know that if I let m truck sit for a week or more(I travel a lot) I too get some white smoke at start up and for a few miles due to the breakdown of diesel gas.

Could it be he is just running an old tank of fuel?

I am going to say no.

Diesel can generally be stored for a considerable time as long as water and microbe based sludge is filtered out.

Unlike gasoline, that deteriorates with storage fairly quickly.

He is driving now on the same tank --- with no evidence of a change in fuel.

The evidence is many short trips --- where the diesel produces a heck of a lot of water and the exhaust is not hot enough (or driven hard enough at high rpms) to blow or evaporate the water out.

Water is produced from the combustion of diesel, and it just condenses on the cold piping.

If it is diesel smoke, there is a noticeable oily smell and oil like billowy and heavy cloud that is quite different from a wispy water cloud.

In cold climates, often, the water wisp never goes away --- like when it is -40F where I go.

And yes, my exhaust can accumulate as much as a gallon of water!

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can steak knives be used for harakiri?

Or Kewpie Dolls be used in voodoo?

* This post was edited 02/23/12 01:51pm by NewsW *

RVDaysEnded

Sun City West

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hadn't gotten offline for breakfast when I saw these.

It does take a few weeks to need a fill-up. I drive it most days, but, the only LONG trips are 10 miles each way to the SC ballpark once a week, 6 miles each way if I pass 3 other grocery stores and go to the closest Fry's, and less than 3 miles to our SCW ballpark. Everything anyone actually needs and most wants (besides car dealerships) is within a couple of miles. All of it is city driving at near legal speed.

The hour at please don't arrest me speeds actually resulted in the best MPG I have gotten in a long time since I haven't done any long drives. The smoke did come back a couple of days after that, so, the big change seems to be the injector cleaner, unless it comes back again (Crosses fingers and knocks wood).

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> White smoke exhaust cold start 2006 PSD. Liquid in exhaust.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS