|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Roadtrek with kids

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
troutman1971

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to purchase a Roadtrek and use it to camp with my wife and two small children. I would also like to use it as a 2nd vehicle inplace of our minivan. Any advice on things I should consider?

* This post was edited 03/03/12 10:15am by troutman1971 *

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Number and location of seatbelts, number and location of head-rests... Anchors (or ability to properly attach) car seats if your kids are still that young.

Also keep in mind that as kids get older it's not uncommon that they will want to bring along a friend or two (having an extra seat or two with belts and head-rests is useful).

The other thing is the pure economics of it... As a daily driver with kids, a minivan is A LOT more economical, both in terms of fuel consumption and costs related to wear and tear.

2009 Trail-Sport TS21RBH
2008 Toyota Sienna

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having had two RT's, I think they're fine machines. For your use, you probably need the Dodge Ram van / Chevy Express floorplan RT calls the Versatile... Two seats just behind the front pair, small kitchen, toilet closet, aisle shower (actually works just fine). Forward seats convert into smallish beds, fine for young kids.

There's also a RT Sprinter diesel floorplan for 4, but I have no firsthand knowledge there.

It'll help get better answers if you specify new or used, and whether you picture using it mostly in primitive CG's or on hookups.

Jim, "Chicken Little only has to be right once."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 01:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of all the Class Bs the Roadtrek RS Adventurous Sprinter seems to be the only one that promotes a solution that has four forward seats and sleeping for four. There are other Bs that can seat four up front but either show no sleeping arrangements or just a third bed such as the Roadtrek 210 Popular.

These are the Roadtrek RS Adventurous floor plan options.

The small Cs probably have more options for sleeping four but surprisingly few have forward facing seats and belt arrangements for four. And of course they wouldn't be every day use vans.

We traveled last summer over 2,000 miles with our son and two grandsons 6 & 2 in our GWVan Sprinter. They rode on the back sofa facing forward with seatbelts since we did not have second row passenger seats. They slept in a tent right on our RV site. A screen porch would be nice to also take along so you can expand your living area. I would guess the two kids would have to be pre-teen or under about 5'-6" tall to be comfortable in the Roadtrek bed arrangement using the driving seats. It is not so bad. For vacations and weekends it would be better than tent camping especially in inclement weather. It would be more versatile than pulling a trailer of some kind including the popups if it is a touring vacation. It would be great going on day excursions to parks, fairs, picnic grounds, ball games, etc. with your kids and having a living base.

Davydd
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter B Camper Van
Visited states in an RV

dks

Mississauga

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have kids, but, I don't believe a Roadtrek is very practible for 2 adults and 2 kids. Yes, I know a Versatile can seat 4 and sleep 4, but, don't forget you need space for clothes, toys, and other stuff. We have a Rt Popular now and I think 4 people would drive us nuts. Think bad weather and rain.....

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gasoline.

No diesel.

Need ages to give specific advice.

Seat belt attachments need to be professionally done --- not just bolted to sheet metal but appropriately reinforced as per how an OEM would do it.

OEM bolt to floor normally have reinforcements on both sides.

Be sure you have multi gas detector (CO, propane, fire, etc.)

Think through the whole thing... like what if you have 1 toilet and 2 urgent needs. (emergency camp bag based toilet).

Also, auxiliary power sufficiency (plugs and output) for kids entertainment, from videos to games.

Playstation and xBox360 draw quite a bit of power, and if not properly sized, can deplete the car / coach batteries fast.

Think through water, cold drinks snacks, and also waste disposal.

Frequent disposal is best.

Flush toilets can fill up a tank fast --- use it sparingly for 4 people.

Roadtreks do not have big enough tanks for serious use --- what do you do when kids need to go and tank is full?

Need to ask yourself:

How many flushes do you have water / tank capacity for.

How fast do the tanks fill or run out of water?

How many days, how many times will you be looking for a dumping station?

How inconvenient?

Can capacity be added (if you are buying new, or retrofit used)

How does that affect the weight / payload equation

A lot of questions...

* This post was edited 03/03/12 12:24pm by NewsW *

Davydd

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 03:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

Do you want kids sleeping on the front 2 seats folded down?

That means you can't drive while they sleep.

Umm, who said anything about needing to drive while kids slept?

McK

Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

Not a good idea. Kids should be seated and belted if the vehicle is moving.

And, yes, my parents put my brothers and me in the back of our 1960 Rambler station wagon to sleep while they drove. But since the car didn't have any seat belts, I guess we were no worse off than if we had been in the rear seat.

Robert
2006 Sportsmobile Sprinter

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troutman1971

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the advice so far. My girls are 3 and 5 months now so I will be looking to buy in the next two years. I'm looking for a Swiss Army type camper. I am used to lightweight tent camping so I would like an extension of that. Something that would allow for go anywhere camping and ease of my wife to drive and get ready to camp and an inside bed and simple shower. I am looking for something that would take me through the next 10 years until the girls are early teens. I think Roadtrek 170 V would be great even as a possible everyday vehicle but probably too small for camping. A Roadtrek 190 V maybe the way to go. However I'm not sure if they are still making 190 V's?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Roadtrek with kids
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS