|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> leak in my Snow river

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Snow River TC

BC Canada summer / Jalisco, Mexico winter

View Profile

Posted: 03/07/12 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suspected I had one although I hoped it was just condensation. I decided to investigate further today & it is definitely a leak. The carpet was wet in a cupboard next to the bed. Water came out when I removed a moulding screw so I knew I had an issue. I removed the moulding along the underside where it meets the nose cap and found water. From what I can tell it came in through a small crack in the sealant in the lower corner. It's fortunate its in a cupboard, as I can butcher things in there without it being visible later. I removed the cupboard and drilled holes in the floor and picked out the foam insulation and the underside was wet, so I kept on drilling in both directions til I hit dry filon backing. There is a little bit of rot in the corner I can fix easily with Git rot when I get home, but generally it was wet but not soft, so I'm lucky. I have sprayed the whole area with bleach to kill any mold, I will let it dry thoroughly then use either spray foam to replace the foam, or more likely stuff batt insulation in there as I can inspect it later to make sure it is still dry and also show anyone I may sell it to later, that it was a fixed problem. I can screw down new floor inside the cupboard over the holes. I also opened up both walls in the corner to make sure water had not come down them from outside light fixtures. It did not. Fortunately I have caulk with me. I am leaving it open to the hot mexican sun for a few days before re-sealing. I think the only way water could have come in was driving at high speed in heavy rain which may have forced it in through the very minor crack. I went though that in Oregon in Jan & I noticed the damp carpet in there after.I will be inspecting that area very closely in future. I managed to drill 2 holes through the bottom of the overhang in the process as the floor is not that deep, so I will temp seal those & use a fibreglass repair kit on them when I get home. The grey thing in the photo is a spacer. I have inserted those all along so air can get in there & circulate. Its 32 here during the day so any moisture should be gone quickly. I will leave it open for maybe 5 days to be sure.

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well it looks like most campers can and do leak.
Welcome to the Leak Rot club.
Sorry for your problem.

If buying again we would look very seriously at the all Aluminum Camp Lite campers.
Then we would only have to worry about leaks not Rot.

Link

Oh Yes! Do Be Careful in Mexico.
Hijacking in Mexico

* This post was edited 03/08/12 03:07pm by an administrator/moderator *

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2014 Jeep Patriot
Future folding trailer or ?

Snow River TC

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well it did have a 5 year water intrusion warranty but the manufacturer has gone out of business, so I am out of luck on that. I was really surprised water got in where it did. Good news is its fixable without ripping too much apart.

EricCO

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are two kinds of campers...

One's that leak
and
One's that the owner hasn't checked yet

LOL!

2002 Ford F-350 CC LB PSD
2007 Travel Lite 960rx Ultra
2009 Lund 208 Pro-V GL with 250 hp Verado

dakonthemountain

Crestline, California

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oye!! Sorry about your issue. I have to say it has always just floored me that basically brand new campers will and do leak pretty much as soon as they leave the factory. Now for one like mine, that is 16 years old one would expect some leaking (and yes, my front window does..) but new ones? I just HATE that!

Best of luck and enjoy your travels..

Dak

2007 Lance 1055 and Calvin, the 1996 creampuff Chev Silverado 3500 extended cab dually
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

recycler

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sorry to hear about joining the leak rot club good thing you caught it early enough before it rotted to the ground

Snow River TC

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I decided to drill some pilot holes underneath away from the corner, under where the molding is, and the good news is the wood is dry & solid about a foot from the corner. It's very hot here in Melaque (near Manzanillo), but also humid, so I am going to leave it open for the next week before re-sealing, to ensure I don't trap any moisture. Have some friends flying in tomorrow and they are bringing me a few tubes of caulk. I have some delam on the exterior filon, but I can access the back side of it & reinforce it. Dodged the bullet on this one. That area will be getting monthly inspections. I am going to use fiberglass insulation to replace the foam I removed and screw down a patch over where i cut out the floor, so i can remove & inspect annually. Since I am an honest person i also want to be able to show it to anyone I may sell the camper to that the problem was fixed.

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 03/09/12 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SnowRiver:

You may want to reconsider putting spun fiberglass batting inside this permanently-enclosed area after the repairs are done. Though the hair-thin fiber strands making up the glass wool itself don't absorb water, the air spaces in the fiberglass batt's woven mass will hold huge quantities of moisture/humidity nearly permanently. Have a look at this photo of wood that was in contact with fiberglass batting in a humid cavity: here-->

IMO, I would leave the cavity completely uninsulated (drill permanent vent holes in the flooring to promote convection = drying, just in case another leak happens), opting instead for a portable/moveable 1-inch sheet of high-density XPS foam under the mattress (i.e. move the insulation barrier outside the cavity with a product that will not absorb any moisture whatsoever)

Good luck,
Silver-

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Snow River TC

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good points. What I can do is simply cut a piece of styrofoam insulation and lay it in there without gluing it down. It is about 1 foot square. It is not under the bed itself just under a cupboard. I am going to cut the area I drilled the holes out so it can be replaced with a square piece once I get home & have the tools to do it. It seems to be nice & dry in there now, I just need to allow the filon backing that absorbed a bit of water up the camper side to dry out completely

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/10/12 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boeing Airplanes use fiberglass blankets for insulation.
You may find this link helpful reading:
Rain in the plane
Or not.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> leak in my Snow river
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts