|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> converter charging chassis battery when plugged in

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
hammer01

Saint Amant, la.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/12 04:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my 2004 pace arrow my converter charges all of my batteries. that being said, last month i had the same problem with the chassis battery not charging and come to find out the selinoid was bad and not charging any of my batteries.

Jeff

Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/12 06:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wa desert rat, I have a boost but it must be depressed to engage the coach batteries for starting. Do you keep it depressed for some amount of time or does yours toggle?

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/12 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd recommend that you simply add a float/trickle charger as had been suggested. Only $20. Or add a Trik-l-Start, $50.

Adding jumper wires or changing the AUX switch to a toggle is not a good method as it's designed the way it is to prevent the alternator from trying to charge both sets of batteries at the same time...if you've been boondocking, and start the engine, charging both sets at once requires quite a bit of current from the ALT. Most RVs (if not all) have a system to delay the alternator charging system so the chassis battery can come up to charge before it closes a solenoid to charge the house.

When on shore power most RVs either have no charging for the chassis battery or a small solar panel on the roof which doesn't help much. Of course some RVs, even older units, came or come with a built in charger for the chassis battery when on shore power.

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Fleetwood Bounder, '94
Cummins Diesel, 190HP, 36.5' with 50HP LP boost.
Black Rock Lava Park, Nevada

RckyMtnVia

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/12 09:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to Section 6 of your Vista user manual only the house batteries are charged while on shore power. Page 6-10 also states "Chassis Batteries: If your coach is going to be unoccupied for two weeks or more, Winnebago Industries® recommends disconnecting the chassis batteries in your coach to avoid battery discharge. Turn the Chassis Battery Disconnect switch (located near the entrance door) to the OFF position to disconnect batteries." What make and model was your 2010? In our 2006 Bounder gas and our Expedition, when connected to shore power, the house batteries are charged first, and when they reach a full charge, the chassis batteries are charged. When driving, the alternator charges the chassis batteries and then the house. I think most Fleetwoods have been like this for some time.

2013 Winnebago Via 25T
2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Occasionally)

The Shadow Nos

East Peoria, Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trik-L-Start should help there web site is LSLPRODUCTS.COM

2005 Allegro Bus
400 HP Cummins
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD

skipole

Sandia Park, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/12 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goldencrazy wrote:

2012 winnebago Vista 30t. All winter while sitting for up to three weeks at a time connected to shore power I never had a dead chassis battery. While sitting in my driveway for one week again connected to shore power the battery was dead. I took it to camping world a certified warranty service center and they replaced a solenoid for my levelers and told me my converter does not charge chassis battery when plugged in. I also have an inverter if that matters. I had a 2010 and never had a problem when plugged to shore power with the chassis battery. So i wonder if this is correct info and if so do I have something else to check. Any thoughts?

I had the same problem with my Itasca Sunstar 30T this winter. Chassis battery went dead, even with disconnect switch to off. I now use two Battery Tenders from my previous RV when in storage. One on House and one on chassis batteries. Since they can be left connected continuously without problems even when AC power is off I am going to mount them in the battery compartment and add an AC outlet.

Ski

lanerd

Ridgecrest CA or Newport OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/12 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Shadow Nos wrote:

Great little device. I initially used a small float charger to keep my chassis batteries topped off, but always required 120vac to work and the nearest outlet was on the other side of the mh so I had to run an extension cord under the mh..PITA. The Trik-l-start does not. Three very small wires and you'll never have to worry about the chassis batteries going dead again.

Quote:

Posted By: Bounder Billy on 04/11/12 08:49am

According to Section 6 of your Vista user manual only the house batteries are charged while on shore power.

The owners manual is a great source for info such as this. However, even that can be wrong. In my case, my manual actually states that the chassis batteries (along with the house batteries) are charged by the inverter/charger when connected to shore power. After having my chassis batteries go dead on several occasions, I called the Monaco Tech and they told me the manual was in error and that my chassis batteries were NOT charged while on shore power.

Ron

Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ILS 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

RckyMtnVia

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/11/12 01:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron, If Goldencrazy's chassis batteries are dead as mentioned in the OP, then it seems to me that the Vista manual is correct!

zman-az

Northern AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a similar problem on my 2011 Vista 26. Few things I think that may have happened. The elec step, levelers and the slideouts all use the chassis battery. Then you have draw from the radio and other devices if you forgot to turn off the master chassis switch. Mine was in storage but I was going in and out and a few times and moved the slides to get access.

I plugged a battery tender into the outlet above the drivers compartment, ran the cable down the A piller, then drilled a 3/4" hole next to a vacuum line that goes thru the firewall. All real easy to get to after you remove the plastic cover on the front dash. Now when I am on shore power my chassis battery is getting properly charged. I purchased the Battery Tender 10' extention cord to make this work, they also make a 25' cord. I have my chassis battery relocated up front "under the hood" so that I could install an extra coach battery.

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 04/11/12 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Shadow Nos wrote:

I thought Winnie put these on all their new coaches. Must be they stopped doing it.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> converter charging chassis battery when plugged in
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS