|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Alaska travel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
ALBERTA BOY#1

ALBERTA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/12 11:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are planning a trip on the Alaska Highway from Edmonton to Dawson City, down to Tok, up to Fairbanks, down to Anchorage and then to Skagway. I figure on traveling most of June & July with my 30 foot Jayco. What can I expect in the way of traffic, availability of camp sites especially in the major tourist centers etc. Any information or comments would be appreciated.

Alberta boy#1

danoren

Where ever I Camp

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/12 02:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did the same trip years ago and had no problems on HWY or getting a spot in a C.G.
If you plan to be in a C.G on the 4th of July I do suggest you reserve one.
I also suggest to travel gravel roads on weekends when there is less truck traffic.
Enjoy

F-350 ,2006,XLT,SD,LB,EC,6.0LT,Auto,SRW.
5W Cruiser 2006 CF29CK Crossroad
RVing 4-5 months every summer since 2002.
P.A,Good Sam,TomTom GO720
Website

Pipeman

Windsor, Ontario,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/12 04:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest going over to the Canada-Alaska forum and posting your question there as well. http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/65

Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

RvingMike

Fond du Lac, Wi. USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/12 05:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did the trip last summer (part of June, all of July, and part of Aug) and were surprised at the lack of traffic. Alot of the time on the Alaskan Hwy, we felt as though we were the only ones out there. We drove from Whitehorse to Skagway and I really can't remember meeting hardly anyone. You won't have any problems finding places to stay. Do keep in mind however, that July 1st is Canada Day (their 4th of July) and then things are really jumping if you are still in Canada. We were in the Baniff/Lake Louise area and it was packed.

Mike

2004 GMC 8100/Allison 3500 Dually
2004 36' Mobile Suite

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/12 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Traffic is seldom heavy on the Alaska Highway or on most Alaskan highways. during out two month stay we spent only 15 nights in a campground of any kind with the rest of the time being spent in the numerous boondocking areas in the back country. Don't recall seeing any campgrounds that were full when we went past. Good luck and have a great trip / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

joe b.

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/12 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best guide book for campgrounds is the Alaskan Camping by Mike and Terri Church. Very through, honest in it's reviews. The people that have their names on the book are the ones that keep it up to date. Also get a copy of the Milepost. It has a lot of good info but read the reviews with a bit of suspicion, as the businesses themselves write, many/most, of the reviews and some of the business owners have very active imaginations to say the least. World Famous usually means in their own minds. LOL But it is a good guide with lots of good info in it.

Both books are available at a discount at any book seller's store, or online.

www.rollinghomes.com for the Church book
www.themilepost.com

You will find a bit of traffic near or in the towns but not away from the towns. Occasionally there may be a caravan of RVs but that is about it, some truck traffic. Finding a place to spend the night is just not a problem, with either private commercial, provincial or regional parks, or just a beautiful spot to pull off by a lake or stream to spend the night.

Most of the roadhouses, if they don't have a campground business also, will let you park overnight in their parking lot with a fuel fill up.

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2011 Chevy 3500 DRW Dmax CC 4X4- Rockwood 8281 SS 5th Whl & 2008 Lance 845 TC
www.pajbcooper.com web site
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

m1e9r5c6

Igloo#4, Canada, eh?

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/12 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did the trip to Fairbanks last summer. Your worst fear is not the traffice but, the road conditions. The section from Whitehorse to Tok took us 14hrs, and then a day from there to Fairbanks. Pay particular attention to the frost heaves between Haines Junction and the US border. They are deceving and usually worse than they appear. We had a cabinet come loose in our 29A that we had to repair in Tok.

Take your time and enjoy the trip. You shouldn't have problems if you take your time. FYI the stretch to Skagway is usually decent condition.

Have fun, I wish I was going back this year. We LOVE it up there.

2004 Keystone Laredo 29GS
2000 Invader Mirage 170, 115hp o/b
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT, QCLB, 5.9L CTD, 6 spd manual

sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/12 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from 5th wheels to RVing Canada & Alaska.
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

johntichy

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/12 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not much in Skagway other then catching the ferry to Juneau.

fullmoonoversalem

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/12 02:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ALASKA ROAD CONDITIONS/CONSTRUCTION

Just wanted to let you guys know that when you get to Alaska we have a lot of construction going on here.

The road to Seward is closed at certain times during the day or night and only emergency traffic can get through. There are also other places where you will find that happening. Hopefully you can get the infor mation you need from this site.

Have a safe, beautiful, and fun trip.

2007 Damon Challenger
2005 Saturn Ion

Moli, our sweet Lab Mix
Gus, our insane, sweet Cat

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Alaska travel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska