RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2011 F-350 NOX recall and then...**updated**

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2011 F-350 NOX recall and then...**updated**

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next
Sponsored By:
RAINEYTXX

Texxxas

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/12 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check engine light came-took to dealer and recently received NOX recall. Performed update and light gone for 125 miles. Light reapeared, took back to dealer, DPF bad (different codes). Part ordered and covered under warranty. 30k on truck all stock except aux. fuel tank. Regens, which usually happen every 500 miles, starting happenning every 200 miles-same route-highway driving. Tech asked if I tow heavy-how could that cause a DPF to fail?

* This post was last edited 06/16/12 12:59pm by RAINEYTXX *   View edit history

2012 DRV Mobile Suites Atlanta 43'
2012 F-450
2011 Audi Q7 TDI
2006 Audi A8L

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/12 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The NOx sensor is probably the culprit.

It detected too much NOx by mistake (or bad calibration or whatever they call it), and then dialed back combustion temperature most likely by increasing EGR and possibly also retarding injection timing.

Net result, more particulates got in the DPF, plugging it to the point where it started regen much more frequently than normal.

Net net result, enough accumulated ash in it caused it to be non-regenable, but require (in the case of HD vehicles) an off vehicle clean.

In their case, they are just replacing it with new for you.

On medium and heavy duty trucks, it is off vehicle cleaning in most cases will restore the DPF a few times without having to toss it.

Good ... for it is an expensive part.

* This post was edited 05/27/12 10:35am by NewsW *

RAINEYTXX

Texxxas

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/12 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting...I wondered about this and the reason for the reprogramming. There are NO new sensors being installed, they are transplanting the former sensors onto the new DPF. I thought the PCM would "protect" the emission system (DPF) from an overheat condition...?
I was told it also reprogrammed the TCM too which was noticed immediately, especially since it has an adaptive transmission. Upshifts occur sooner-light load I am in 6th hear at 35 mph while maintaining speed! Power seemed down a little in the 125 miles I had it.

FishOnOne

Katy

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/12 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought towing heavy created a passive regen, which is a good thing. This is the first I've heard of a DPF replaced on a 6.7 psd.

Good Luck...

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD "Built Ford Tough"
'06 Holiday Rambler 31SKD

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/12 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RAINEYTXX wrote:

Interesting...I wondered about this and the reason for the reprogramming. There are NO new sensors being installed, they are transplanting the former sensors onto the new DPF. I thought the PCM would "protect" the emission system (DPF) from an overheat condition...?
I was told it also reprogrammed the TCM too which was noticed immediately, especially since it has an adaptive transmission. Upshifts occur sooner-light load I am in 6th hear at 35 mph while maintaining speed! Power seemed down a little in the 125 miles I had it.

The original fix (in the early days of the 2011) was to replace the NOx sensors, which didn't really solve the problem.

Later, a new "calibration" was put forward, which had to be recertified with EPA.

In the early days, I speculated without having access to the engineering data that the problem was caused by extreme climates (the problem mostly cropped up in very cold places), that threw off the factory settings and forced a recalibrate routine, which was improperly done.

The sensor in the mean time probably fed bad data to the ECM, which resulted in the combustion issues.

Interesting that the sensor was not replaced --- that was a Bosch sensor, btw.

As for the transmission being different, all it is is that the fix meant all the KAM (keep alive memory) is cleared and the shift points had to be relearned.

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/12 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That new 6.2 gas engine Ford offers in their new trucks is looking better and better every day....

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

RAINEYTXX

Texxxas

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/12 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

I thought towing heavy created a passive regen, which is a good thing. This is the first I've heard of a DPF replaced on a 6.7 psd.

Good Luck...

yes, I thought that was a good thing, too. The tech also said it was the first for a 6.7 that he saw (big dealer) but I am hoping it was just a fluke. Still thinking that maybe the previous calibrations for the first 30k caused the failure and when it did it's first regen after the re-calibration 125 miles later, it did not like what it saw and threw a code.

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/12 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RAINEYTXX wrote:

If you are planning a trip to Alaska it is good to get all of your problems fixed or atleast we hope they are being taken care of.
chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank
Garmin 2720
scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors

ricatic

Home

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/12 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not too surprised about DPF filter replacement. I was selected a month or so ago to participate in an emissions testing and dyno testing program funded by Ford and administered by Roush. I was told one of the reasons they wanted to test our truck was the 48000 miles it has run.

They were to have the truck for about a week. It turned into 2 weeks. They called and asked if they could keep it a few more days. They wanted to remove the DPF and replace it. They then dissected the original DPF. Roush told me Ford was a little concerned about premature failures of the DPF's to date.

It turned out to be a good deal. They paid us $200 in cash. They gave us a brand new Fusion to drive that was full of fuel. I only had to make sure there was enough fuel for the Roush driver to get to the gas station. I put 1800 miles on the car. The topper...they filled my 50 gallon Titan fuel tank to the top...it took 41 gallons...

Meanwhile, my truck still plays peek a boo with the CEL. It comes on...it goes off...it comes on...it goes off...no set pattern...very random...I just keep driving it...2013 is coming soon...and I hear that the new Dodge with DEF truck is arriving in December...

Regards

Edited to read what I meant to say...

* This post was edited 05/27/12 09:44pm by ricatic *

Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/12 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ricatic wrote:

Meanwhile, my truck still plays peek a boo with the CEL. It comes on...it goes off...it comes on...it goes off...no set pattern...very random...I just keep driving it...2013 is coming soon...and I hear that the new Dodge non DEF truck is arriving in December...

Your truck (or at least CEL) is bipolar?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2011 F-350 NOX recall and then...**updated**
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS