RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Kayak Rack for your TV(pick-up)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Kayak Rack for your TV(pick-up)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
surgtech56

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/12 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 2 kayaks and would like to take them camping with us. What are you using on your TV, in particular a truck TV to carry kayaks(or canoes)? We would like something easy to remove and would also fit with the bedliner. Thank you

IkenI

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/12 01:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my last truck I had a cab high topper over the bed and used the Yakima Track system wich worked very well. With my new truck I decided that I did not want a topper so I've been looking at different systems. There are several easy to remove racks that will fit in your bed (on & off quickly.) The problem with them is that most are not compatible with a tonneau cover which I think I will want for extended trips. I'm looking at a foldable tonneau cover and that takes me back to the Track System. Many years ago I toted canoes with the canoe resting on top of the cab on foam supports. They rode very well there and were easy to load/unload by getting into the bed of the truck. Yakima (and probably others) make a track system for the top of the trucks cab and also make a four point system so you don't need the tracks all the way down the top. This system lets the actual bars mount and dismount quickly so I think that's what I'm going to use on the new truck. The only drawback is the base must be permanently mounted to the top of the truck. Another thing to consider is that they are all somewhat noisy going down the road. You can goggle truck racks and track systems and see all kinds. It's really nice to be able to take our two kayaks wherever we go.

2014 GD Reflection 303RLS
2013 Chevy 2500HD D/A
PullRite SuperGlide

US Army retired

Pepperoni

Ypsilanti, Michigan 48198

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/12 01:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

surgtech56 wrote:

We have 2 kayaks and would like to take them camping with us. What are you using on your TV, in particular a truck TV to carry kayaks(or canoes)? We would like something easy to remove and would also fit with the bedliner. Thank you

I carried a 17 foot canoe on my PU, using just a light (2x4) rack in the rear stake hole. I used a rope from the top of the rack, forward and tied low in the bed to prevent wobble. (The canoe itself helped once tied down.) Place a screw into the stake pocket to prevent the 2x4 from wobbling or being lifted out of the pocket. I rested the canoe on the top of the cab, cushioned with a life preserver on each side. The best forward rack would probably be a single cargo rail.

Do not trust the flimsy tie down points; secure tie downs to something substantial--- I used the interior seat mounts, and a rope over the inverted canoe and tied inside the cab. (open both doors, tie down the canoe tightly then slam the doors over the rope----- works great) Then you can open/close the doors when needed without untying the canoe.
I got better gas mileage with the canoe aboard.

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/12 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used to carry 2 canoes on our family's Toyota pickup. We used a common construction worker type lumber rack to carry the canoes. Worked great.

I have seen some really nice racks that are a pair of aluminum headache style racks and a pair of tracks that go on top of the bed rails. The front rack stays permanent behind the cab, like a normal headache rack. The rear rack slides back and forth. For carrying a canoe, kayak, or whatever other long item, the rack slides to the rear of the bed. For normal use not using the rack, the rear rack slides forward and stows behind the front rack and isn't noticed any more than the front rack by itself. I'm thinking probably Weatherguard or one of the other truck rack companies probably makes it.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

Twain

Tampa - FL

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 06:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2x4s in the stake posts and 2x2s as the cross beams with a 18" long 2x2 creating a triangle in the top corners, cut with 45* angles to reinforce the corners. 2 inch long lag screws hold them in the stake posts. Use rachet straps to hold down to via tie downs at the botton of the bed.

Early 1999 F-350 7.3 DRW CC, 4.10
(retired from towing) 02 Suburban 5.3 3.73
2011 Passport 290BH - Blue Ox Sway Pro
3 Kids, 2 Dogs, 1 Wife.

Dougie123

CT

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi:

I went thru the same thing last summer.

Here is my solution...works great: rv.net Kayak Solution for Truck

Dad - 44
Mom -
DD - 16
DD - 13
DS - 8
DS - 6
Dog - Irish Terrier

2010 Shamrock 233S
2011 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Hemi 4.10

Shortline

Yukon OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a US Rack "Hawaiian Rack". Cheap, easy to put together (just add 2 2x4's) and is easy to take on/off in about 4 minutes. We painted the 2x4 to help prevent rot when wet, sliced a swimming pool "noodle" floating toy you can get at wal-mart, and taped it down for padding. Simple, quick, cheap solution. We carry up to 3 on the rack, can even do more, if you wanted to put them on their side. Here's the link, just add the wood, pool foam Noodle for padding, and you're off.

http://www.usrack.com/hawaiian_sawhorse_rack.php

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 5.7L Hemi 4x4. 2010 KZ Coyote CL232SS. Perfect for our Mountain Bike and Kayak adventures!
My work tow vehicle is a group of 16 cylinder General Motors diesels rated to tow around 14,000 TONS. I don't need no weight police!

Twain

Tampa - FL

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a close up of the $10 racks but the idea.

CND SuperCrew

SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have a co-worker that uses this:

Thule

Ron, Lori and Autumn
TV 2012 F150 loaded XLT EB SuperCrew 7700GVWR Maxtow 6.5'
TT 2008 Jayflight G2 23FB/ Equal-i-zer WD
2013- CO,WY,MT 5500km 30 nights/season
2012- AB 4000km, 28 nights/season
2011- OR & CA done, 6800km in 3 weeks
Truck & Trailer

surgtech56

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 04:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone. I would like to get some sort of a ladder type rack, that is removable. I really love the Thule Xsporter and Yakima Outdoorsman - both manufacturers made a quality product.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Kayak Rack for your TV(pick-up)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS