|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing Fusion Hybrid

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Navy Bob

Womelsdorf, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/12 06:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford's recent announcement that 2012 Ford Fusions and Escapes are not towable does not say anything about the hybrid versions. The hybrids have an ECVT transmission where the normal Fusions and Escapes have automatic transmissions. The dealer where I bought says he checked with his sources at Ford and there is no problem for the hybrid. The only limitation is to not exceed 75 MPH.
Are there any other Ford hybrid owners out there? Have you heard or found anything different?
I am very pleased with my hybrid Fusion after 3,000 miles. In normal around town driving I am getting about 43 MPG and on a 650 mile Interstate trip in 95 degrees at 70 MPH I got 38.5 MPG. The all electronic dashboard (except for speedometer takes some getting used to. I had the Air Force One brake system installed by dealer along with Blue Ox baseplate, wiring kit with separate bulbs and the cost was $3,050.
Bob

2 vocal & energetic mini Schnauzers
2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid Toad

DouglasC

Summerdale, AL

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/12 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a previous owner of a Mercury Mariner Hybrid which I towed for over 30,000 miles, I can see no reason why the current prohibition in towing Escapes and Fusions built after 2/27/2012 with the 6 speed automatic would have anything to do with the hybrids.

As you have pointed out, the hybrid and non-hybrid vehicles use 2 entirely different transmisisons.

I am now happily towing my 2012 Focus with the DCT automatic. I've now towed it approx 2,500 miles with no issues whatsoever.

BTW: I drove a Fusion hybrid shortly after they were introduced and felt that it was an awesome vehicle - - and seriously considered buying one. But the "show stopper" was the fact that the rear seats did not fold down and I felt that it would seriously restrict my ability to haul stuff.

Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid with Brake Buddy

kyhawk

Villa Hills Ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/12 09:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been towing our Escape Hybrid since 08 for many miles with no problems so far. Good luck.

Janet & Ralph
2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

the_armadillo

SE Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/04/12 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't say for the Fusion, but we tow a 2012 Escape Hybrid. As dealer said, no restrictions other than 75 mph. Great toad and DW loves it for her daily driver. We got a chipless key for use when towing for accessory position so no one can break in a steal the vehicle. We manually lock the doors so not to set the alarm. Also turn off display on Nav system when key in accessory position by pressing display button twice.

conmoto

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/12 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am setting up our 2011 FFH to tow and am finding this thread timely. I am going to use all Blue Ox equipment as the Patriot braking system is friendly with active braking.I did contact Ready Brake and the person returning my query was unsure if their system would work with a hybrid. All reports I get are positive on the Blue Ox set-up.

the_armadillo

SE Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/05/12 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Conmoto

We have all Blue Ox equipment with our Hybrid setup including the Patriot system. All has worked very well thus far. Just follow all the setup instructions for gain and changing the mode. The only complaint I have is that I hard-wired the Patriot remote to switched 12 volt power as opposed to using the cigarette plug in. The Patriot remote will beep the entire time when I'm driving the RV w/o the toad since it can't establish communication. Thus I need to install another power switch for the remote so I can shut if off when not needed. Wish Blue Ox had a power switch on the remote because I use my power ports for other items.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing Fusion Hybrid
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS