|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> chevy 2500hd 6l90e retune/chip

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Taco

VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/12 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a 2012 chevy silverado 2500hd with the 6.0, 3.73 rear end and the six speed auto.

I towed my 7000 lb toy hauler for the first time this weekend and was mostly satisfied with the performance.

However I am not impressed much like others with how the transmission selects gears. On the flat interstate of eastern VA and NC I would like it to hold 5th gear longer before downshifting. The engine makes plenty of torque with a wider throttle opening to pull small hills in 5th at this weight but it won't let me. It wants to drop to 4th or 3rd and run 4k rpm at 65 instead of the 2400 in 5th.

What do you guys reccomend as far as getting this fixed without voiding the warranty.

What I really want is a retune that turns manual mode into a true manual mode. If I put it in 5th or 4th or whatever gear it stays there no matter what. Instead of gm's version of manual mode which is just an overdrive lockout.

Is there anything like that out there.

kaydeejay

SE Michigan, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/12 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you tried using tow/haul?

Keith J.
1999 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver.
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC/SB/DA 2WD, LLY with LBZ air cleaner, 52 gal Titan tank, Bilsteins, Line-X, Westin steps, Prodigy, Retrax cover, 16K Superglide, 5th-Airborne pin-box, Multi-vex mirrors, TST TPMS.

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/12 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Taco wrote:

What do you guys reccomend as far as getting this fixed without voiding the warranty.

Sell it.

That would not void the warranty.

There is not a known tuner around that will not void the warranty.

Dave&Monica

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/12 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Taco wrote:

What I really want is a retune that turns manual mode into a true manual mode. If I put it in 5th or 4th or whatever gear it stays there no matter what. Instead of gm's version of manual mode which is just an overdrive lockout.

I'm missing something...GM's manual mode doesn't kept the trans in the gear you selected?

Dave

2010 Rockwood 8280WS
2008 F250 CC Lariat SB 6.8L V10

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/10/12 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave&Monica wrote:

Taco wrote:

I'm missing something...GM's manual mode doesn't kept the trans in the gear you selected?

Dave

Manual mode will let the engine run up against the gov. It won't let the engine lug more than it thinks it should to save both the tranny and the engine.

OP, the puter is trying to save the drive train from the owner. Put it in T/H and in drive and let it do it's thing.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

Hamops

Oshawa, ON, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/12 03:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The computer in your truck is programmed to maximize the power in the engine. As previously suggested, the best thing for you to do, is to put the transmission in drive, switch on Tow/Haul and let the computers do their job. Doing that, you safely maximize engine and transmission performance and fuel economy. Adding a chip would void your warranty, overstress your engine and transmission and reduce your fuel ecomomy.
While I have a diesel, I've decided to not second guess the GM engineers who designed the engine, so my engine is bone stock.

* This post was last edited 06/11/12 05:03pm by Hamops *   View edit history

Cheers
Helen & George VE3INB and Max (Bichon Frise)

2006 Silverado 2500HD D/A, Isspro Gauges, Linex, Westin Nerf Bars, Fold-A-Cover
2006 Cruiser CF30SK.
Reese 16K Slider, Bedsaver, Prodigy Controller, Rearview Camera, JT StrongArms

kw/00

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never heard of anything out there that can change that for you. Selling it is not always the answere either. Just follow the guide on using tow haul and let the computer do its job. The truck will have no difficulty pulling that little of wieght. Going to 4K may feak some out. I would prefer to have it at 4K instead of lugging it causing damage to the drive train. At 4K that engine is not working hard at all, it's all about perception.

2009 GMC 2500HD Stealth grey metallic SLT gasser... Awesome
2012 KZ Durango 296BH
2007 Camry SE V-6

Turbo Diesel Dude

Ocala,Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/11/12 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should have opted for the 4.10 gears. I just put the one I had in Tow/Haul and let it do it's thing.Just hated the milage, 8 towing max of 12 MT. JMHO

charles weidman

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 06/11/12 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave&Monica wrote:

Only 2nd gear works that way. Other gears in manual mode are just range limiting, as in it will not shift above the selected gear, but will shift below according to the regular or tow/haul mode shift patterns.

Tow/Haul and Manual 5 are what I use. They do a good job most of the time. Not sure what the problem is with 4000rpm from the 6.0L. Sounds good to my ears.

Even if a tuner could lock a gear, I doubt the driver would be happy. The transmission shifts down a gear (or more) because the engine knows there is not enough torque at the current engine speed to meet driver's demand.

* This post was edited 06/11/12 11:30am by APT *

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2012 VW Passat TDI

MO_Trout_Bum

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/20/12 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About all you can do is use tow/haul and manual mode to select the gear that minimizes gear hunting and lugging. So, sounds like 4 in your case. Really, the extra RPM's don't hurt the engine a bit, and you're doing the best thing for the truck. I towed in 3rd gear most of the time with all of my old gas engines - before manual mode came out - and everything always turned out just fine. Turn up the tunes a bit and forget about it.....

2004 Silverado 2500HD Ext, Duramax LLY, 4WD, 3.73
2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> chevy 2500hd 6l90e retune/chip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: