|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Portable Generator Choice

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
LEMII

Jonesborough, TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/12 05:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jyh818 wrote:

I have the Champion 2000W inverter type. Got it at Costco for $490. It's very quiet. One thing I would recommend is you put the refrigerator on gas and not auto. We tried to microwave once (1500W) and it kept overloading. Every appliance was off and couldn't figure out why. Then realized the frige.

Anyone else have this same problem? I've not seen this point made in anyone else's posts.

I thought the fridge would run off the 12VDC system when not on shore power; though I guess when plugged into a generator it is running off shore power. Is there a way to run the fridge off the battery while using the generator to charge the same battery? In other words, can the refrigerator AC load be removed from the generator by having it run off the battery instead even when the trailer is plugged into the generator?

Me
My lovely and gracious wife
Maggie, our Yellow Lab
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 23B
2008 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited AWD

doughere

Mooresville NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/12 06:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got the Honda based on the fact that there wern't many places around me selling the Yahama. I'd go with either the Honda or Yahama, based on who has more outlets around you. Someday you're gonna need parts or help; internet's lots of help, but someday you're gonna need a person to talk to.

Doug

Wayne Dohnal

Bend, OR.

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/12 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LEMII wrote:

jyh818 wrote:

I have the Champion 2000W inverter type. Got it at Costco for $490. It's very quiet. One thing I would recommend is you put the refrigerator on gas and not auto. We tried to microwave once (1500W) and it kept overloading. Every appliance was off and couldn't figure out why. Then realized the frige.

Anyone else have this same problem? I've not seen this point made in anyone else's posts.

I thought the fridge would run off the 12VDC system when not on shore power; though I guess when plugged into a generator it is running off shore power. Is there a way to run the fridge off the battery while using the generator to charge the same battery? In other words, can the refrigerator AC load be removed from the generator by having it run off the battery instead even when the trailer is plugged into the generator?
The fridge control system runs on 12 volts all the time. The cooling mechanism is run by either propane or 120 volt power. If the fridge is on 'auto', it will automatically switch to 120 volts when shore power or generator power is available. As the first post said, just switch the fridge to 'gas only' when running the generator.

2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

Wayne Dohnal

Bend, OR.

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/12 09:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Duplicate post, sorry.

* This post was edited 06/15/12 09:58am by Wayne Dohnal *

dupreet

High Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/12 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lemii - as mentioned, all but a few RV fridges use 12v for their computers...the exceptions are a few small fridges for popups.

As a far as the "running" on 12v entirely, no propane or shore power, they consume a considerable amount of power and would kill a typical deep cycle battery in a few hours. Some folks run the on 12v while traveling down the road; with their tow vehicle or motorhome's alternator keeping the power flowing.

Todd

Todd

1993 Ford E-350 pushed by a 1988 Wilderness 24' TT

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/12 10:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can plug in a power outage alarm and have it monitor the security of your generator. Use a lamp extension cord and place the monitor by your doorstep.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Portable Generator Choice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS