RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Passed on the right shoulder at 65 mph?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Passed on the right shoulder at 65 mph?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
azpete

paulden

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

believe it or not, that is allowed in arizona. as long as your wheels dont leave the pavement. ask any dps officer. its is normally used when someone is turning left, or when a vehicle is traveling at a slow speed along a two lane road, and obstructing traffic. i dont think its safe, but it is allowed. nothing said it has to make sense.

mikeleblanc413

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure we all have our "shoulder passing stories"...here's mine. I wasn't in Winnie...but driving Winnie's child...my 1991 Dodge Spirit...if you know the car, it's not a fast driving car...but, it's dependable, get's me to where I'm going and does it at 30 miles per gallon. The other day on Highway 105 as I was going to Beaumont, I noticed a pickup truck with a trailer of lawn equipment behind me. Suddenly, it came past me on the right (road shoulder) and right behind him was another similiar truck with a trailer of lawn equipment. I was within 5-10 miles of the speed limit. Guess, they were in a hurry to get home...next job...who knows! What I do know, is that it's a very crazy world on the road! Too many idiots doing idiotic things!

Another story for another day is when the guy passed me on the right on the EastTex Freeway in Beaumont...lost control...sidewiped my car and kept going. I chased him...cops caught him...and guess what...HE HAD INSURANCE...eventually I got paid...the story is much longer...short version works pretty well.

I've put in more than my two cents...enjoy the day.

Mike LeBlanc
Retired Art Educator, Photographer
Travel with "Baby Girl" (Catahoula Mix)
Texas

Digital Restorations, Louisiana Historic Items
Facebook

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At one time it was legal in Texas.

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of young idiots obey the law/use common sense only if they think that there are no cops around. It must be a form of risk taking like the stuff they see on TV and movies. All you can do is try to drive your rig as safely as possible and don't let the idiots goad you into doing risky maneuvers. Pull over at a safe speed when safe to do so. Don't let them pressure you into taking downgrade turns too fast, you are top heavy. It's traditional to harass old ..... in motorhomes.

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 08:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I just have to get out more! As long as I wasn't crunched, I guess it was OK since we were all safe and there was no accident because of it. I would not have put on a chase and didn't even get the license plate number.
Now I have to watch both the left and the right side of the vehicle. I bet I would not have seen the guy if I had been looking though. It was a swerver too. Those folks who pride themselves on being able to swerve in and out of cars by almost clipping them in the process. I like the idea that it is the hops. Hate to think people are that arrogant without some support.

We're hooked!
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/12 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We entered Albarta Canada and the border agent mentioned they keep the shoulders clear. I think she even said Not Like all the Debris in USA. Anyhow, we were expected to drive on the shoulder to allow overtaking traffic to pass.

That said, the point I first wanted to make is:

NOBODY WANTS TO BE BEHIND AN RV OR A BOAT TRAILER.

And it doesn't seem to matter how well or how fast it's being operated.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Prpl Lady

At my computer

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't fix stupid... even if it is legal (in some states), only an idiot would do it.

2009 31F Four Winds Dutchmen E-450

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, been passed on the right before, not legal.
Although my greatest shock was coming west on US-101 out of Port Angeles, heavy traffic moving about 10 under. Really heavy both ways. When this Hog split the yellow line and passed a bunch-o-us. On-coming traffic was not more then 6 inches from his left handle-bar.
This was a biker looking to die young.

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

LastOfTheBohicans

Edmonton, Alberta, CAN

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

j-d wrote:

We entered Albarta Canada and the border agent mentioned they keep the shoulders clear. I think she even said Not Like all the Debris in USA. Anyhow, we were expected to drive on the shoulder to allow overtaking traffic to pass.

That said, the point I first wanted to make is:

NOBODY WANTS TO BE BEHIND AN RV OR A BOAT TRAILER.

And it doesn't seem to matter how well or how fast it's being operated.

Moving over to the shoulder is a courtesy and not really expected. On any of the undivided highways that have wider shoulders, I will move over to allow anyone behind me to have a real good look to see if they want to pass. I was taught that it is my way of notifying the driver behind you that the lane ahead is clear and that a pass can be made safely. On our last trip, the highway was relatively clear. I had the cruise set to 100km (60mph) and I moved over twice to let someone pass. One guy even waved in appreciation.

Caveat: I don't do it when there are rumble strips present.

Me, DW, Five Crazy Felines, One RB Angel
2011 Ford F350 SD, PSD 6.7, SRW, CC
2011 Komfort 3230FRK

weasel4

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/12 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just to set the information straight. In Alberta it is illegal to drive on the shoulder of the road. No matter what a Federal Border Guard thinks, Alberta traffic laws are enacted and enforced by the Provincial Government.

Driving on the shoulder has become a common occurrence in Alberta, but it is illegal, unless it's an emergency or necessary for highway safety.
BTC

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Passed on the right shoulder at 65 mph?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS