|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> F53 turn signals problem

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have encountered an interesting problem with the turn signals on my 2001 Southwind F53 chassis.
When the steering column is full forward, everything works fine, but when the column is pulled back to "driving" position the signals quit.
Has anybody encountered a situation like this before with this Ford chassis? Is it something I should take to the dealer, or can it be fixed fairly simply? Given what I have heard and read about dealer service departments, I would just as soon stay away from them if possible, warranty or no.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/12 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like the wiring harness connector is coming apart. Check at the base of the steering column under the dash. Should be easy fix if that is what it is.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

OnaQuest

Old enough to be a

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is actually a very simple problem to fix.

The lever that controls your turn signals is also the control for the head light dimmer, the wipers and the washers.

on the end of the lever is a giant switch module that includes the warning flashers as well as the other things listed.

The whole thing come out as a single unit. Just remove enough screws from the plastic surrounding the area to move the plastic enough to get to the screws holding the switch end of the lever secure.

There is only one connector to this switch bundle. Pry it loose and remove the lever/switch unit.

The switch can be (carefully) opened up, and the contacts cleaned and re-lubricated. Watch the dis-assembly carefully....it has to go back together the seam way it came apart.

If a new one is needed or desired, be careful to march up the part numbers exactly, as Ford has used many versions of this arrangement that all look alike, but are NOT identical.

LVJ58

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/12 09:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would agree with enblethen's analysis and solution to the problem as it seems to be more logical. I wouldn't recommend disassembling the switch bundle until I exhausted all other means to resolve the problem.

Good luck and keep us posted on your fix....

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

OnaQuest

Old enough to be a

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LVJ58 wrote:

I would agree with enblethen's analysis and solution to the problem as it seems to be more logical. I wouldn't recommend disassembling the switch bundle until I exhausted all other means to resolve the problem.

You may not think it "more logical" if you had ever seen how that thing is put together. The multiple internal sliding contacts of that switch tend to corrode. I've never seen the heavy connector even attempt to come apart. JMHO

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If Onaquest is correct that there is a peice of linkage, then it could be binding when the tilt-steering column is in various positions.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/12 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OnaQuest wrote:

LVJ58 wrote:

You may not think it "more logical" if you had ever seen how that thing is put together. The multiple internal sliding contacts of that switch tend to corrode. I've never seen the heavy connector even attempt to come apart. JMHO

If, in fact, the contacts inside that switch assy are corroded, it shouldn't matter what position the steering column is in, because that does not move the switch. Besides, the switch in my coach does not match the description given.
IMO, a loose connector or broken wire is more likely. I will uncover the steering column when it cools off a little. I'm not working out there in the coach when it is this hot, and I don't want to run the air conditioning with only 15 amp service!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> F53 turn signals problem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS